a friend gave me some BBC beer... the 'it's complicated being a wizard' or something that like. it was ok. i didn't like the Juxtaposition blond stout as much.

I wasn't crazy about most of their beers. I thought that their Rye IPA was good, but Barista (coffee porter) was definitely the standout IMHO. They're not the star of VT craft beer, but they're certainly the not worst player in the game. FWIW, I really like their aesthetic. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this list the other day of craft beers that are actually just shills for corporate beer companies:

http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/drinks/is-that-really-craft-beer-21-surprising-corporate-brewers-20150923

i think of it as a musician signing w/ a major label (or maybe even just a distribution deal)... their old stuff and approach hasn't been affected (at least in some cases, like Ballast Point for example).

i think of it as a musician signing w/ a major label (or maybe even just a distribution deal)... their old stuff and approach hasn't been affected (at least in some cases, like Ballast Point for example).

Good point.

Either way, I'm still pissed Ballantine XXX Ale no longer exists (I know, Pabst own the name now, and shit, I DRINK Pabst), but  I long for it none the less. 

Finding fresh Sculpin or Grunion in the store always makes my day.

Finding fresh Sculpin or Grunion in the store always makes my day.

I'm sure the Ballast Point bean counters are trying to make sense of a rash of Grunion sales in a 3-store region of grocers. Myself and a few neighbors buy the stuff a case or more at a time. My current go-to beer.

Never tried the Grunion - I have seen it in the stores up here, though.

It's a great pale, give it a try. Make sure the price is right, some places try to charge the same $15/6-pack that they charge for Sculpin. They finally dropped Grunion to $10 and now it's my standard beer.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surely, it's good beer.

My sister lives up there; it's hard to convince them to visit the place, because they are Miller Lite and cocktail drinkers. I do not know one Minnesotan who is a craft beer drinker. Miller Lite, Crown Royal and Bloody Mary's seem to be their drinks of choice -- which is all perfectly fine, I guess.

i had some Fat Head Headhunter IPA in the Philly airport last night. very good stuff! though i was kind of annoyed that i could only get a 10oz pour since it was over 7% abv. yet that didn't stop them from serving 20oz pours of beers less than 7%. i tweeted to the Philly gov twitter account about it with a #math hashtag.

fight the man!

My nearest cinema is an Alamo Drafthouse franchise and for years my neighbors and I would get a growler or two of an IPA to enjoy with the movie, but all of a sudden they changed their policy to forbid growler fills above 8%. It seems that a couple of guys couldn't hold their beer and got a little rowdy.

It's frustrating to be denied a 4-pint growler to be shared by 4 people, but they have no qualms about selling 4 individual pints at a higher price than the discounted growler price.

Instead of punishing good customers, how about just cutting off the bad apples or barring them from the establishment? I understand the cost of big beers can warrant a smaller pour, but I should still be able to purchase a full pint if that's what I'd like.

• 9 months later...

Illinois has always been a hard state to sell liquor/beer. A lot of red-tape.

I may be starting something to find that out first hand. My wife's cousin's husband produces a craft gin in the EU, and wants to crack the American market. 

I am looking into creating an LLC to obtain a liquor importer's license. 

I know there are only 4 distributors licensed in Illinois, so there's not much of a free market...

The thought is that the LLC I create would import the gin to sell to one of the distributors.