• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lesh took a "lead" after the main part of Eyes of the World 73-74 and would trade off leads with Jerry...(see, e.g., the 19 October 1974 version shown during the Grateful Dead movie).

Love that version and love Phil's solos.  Was there ever a name for that key change riff jam they did after Eyes in 74?  We always called it the Nine Jam.  I also wonder if that was part of the original song, but was not recorded to make room for Bob's opus.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by trading solos, but maybe you are talking about this kind of stuff?

There are not a lot of times, to my ears, when Bobby plays what I'd call lead guitar or takes a solo, other than the at-times horrendously off-key slide solos he'd take in the blues tunes (Minglewood, Rooster, Walkin' Blues, etc).    But when he did play a lead or solo or just a picked counter phrase (as opposed to his rhythm strumming) it could be really good.  He had a prominent lead part in China Cat, as you mentioned, that could really make or break the version, IMO, that was clear and strong in the early years but got increasingly lazy and sloppily played later on.  I think the best China Cats were in '72 - '74.  He also did some pretty strong guitar leads in Here Comes Sunshine, my faves being 12/19/73 and 3/23/74   http://headyversion.com/song/118/grateful-dead/here-comes-sunshine/

But take a listen to Bob's guitar in hot versions of Easy Wind in 1970, he usually took the first solo after Pig's harmonica solo and then Jerry took the second solo.  This one is my fave  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozp2P_ENBo

Another good one is https://archive.org/details/gd70-09-20.aud.remaster.sirmick.27583.sbeok.shnf

Was just looking for a few more examples where Bobby plays a lead solo, followed by or preceding one by Jerry. Rather than the abstract McCoy Tyner's left hand rhythm stuff. No need for reminders on Bobby playing slide. Oy. Maybe in one of his blues tunes, but no need to ruin Althea or Sugaree or whatever.

A few other random thoughts:

Feel like the transition from China into Rider is the peak/essence of the Grateful Dead. In some of those 74 versions, Bobby puts on a country guitar clinic, playing every riff in the book, followed by a melodic/ecstatic solo by Jerry, with the band barreling down the tracks along with them. Magic. 

Love the guitar interplay between Jerry and Bob in Morning Dew, particularly the version from Europe 72. Listened to that coming down one time. What a build up and peak. 

I'd say what Bobby played on Easy Wind in 1970 is probably the longest "traditional" picked-note lead guitar solo (while Jerry did some rhythm stuff in the background) he ever did with the Grateful Dead.  Sure wish he did more of it, because when he did, it was killer.  And I agree about the importance of his little filigree part in China Cat and in the transition into Rider.  When Bobby was on that, playing tight and articulate like he did in '72-'74, is was a peak moment of Dead music.

Did you listen to the Easy Winds and the Here Comes Sunshines?  In HCS, Bobby is doing a lot of plucked-note counterparts to Jerry's stuff, but simultaneously.  Not really a solo, more of collective ensemble soloing, but the interplay and the organic guitar tones sound so good to me.  https://archive.org/details/gd1973-12-19.107984.sbd.dan.patch-97361.flac16

The '73-' '74 China->Rider ("Feelin' Groovy") jam is probably my favorite "thing" the band did....

That's hard to argue. The "Tighten Up" jam (5/2/70 Dancin, 10/31/71 Dark Star) is right up there, as is the Mind Left Body Jams in '73-'74 as well.

I can never keep the names of the these jams straight.

Tighten Up jam is based on the old tune Tighten Up (I forget who wrote it) and Feeling Groovy jam is based on Simon & Garfunkel's beat of the same name. Mind Left Body based on a n Airplane tune, I believe, etc.   

Ya know, I have Sketches of Spain on vinyl and I've listened to "Solea" to hear the influence of the Spanish Jam but I couldn't discern anything.

Oh, shit  you got your Spanish jam spilled in to my Tighten Up jam!  ha ha ha! Tighten Up jam is believed to possibly be based on the song Tighten Up by Archie Bell and The Drells.  Some think the Spanish jam, like in 2/11/70 Fillmore East between the Dark Star and the Lovelight, is based on Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain.

Here's an impressive essay from the always impressive Light Into Ashes dude on this topic.  Should clear things up if you are up for the reading/listening!  Oops,. I see Lammy you already found it!

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2010/01/deads-early-thematic-jams.html