Dave's #17 has shipped. Excited.

Also got my notice, looking forward to getting this.

I was recently reminded of the awesome audio quality of the GD HDD releases. Not that I haven't always known that, but last weekend a like minded friend was over.  He had not had chance to really check out the new (used) speakers I recently got.  I popped in one of the discs from the May '77 box, disc 3 of the first show, Scarlet>Fire to be exact.  The audio quality is jaw dropping.  I play all my discs through the same rig, but the sound on these GD HDD discs are of another world.  He and I both would swear the band was playing in my room.    

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the weekend I listened to the recent compilation release of the Fare Thee Well shows. Yeeesh, so not good. I did like Trey and Jeff Chimenti. There were a few bright spots over the course of the 2 discs but certainly not worth buying or listening to again. Am I recalling correctly that Trey said he couldn't get the guys together to practice?

I've read Trey saying he practiced with Bob separately, Phi separately, the 3 together, and with Weir and Billy in NYC. I'd assume they all practiced together at least a couple run throughs of their list....

From what I've read from various sources, the only full band rehearsals were soundchecks, and the Santa Clara shows. And Trey could never get them to work out the harmonies to Attics of My Life, so he had his buddy transcribe the parts, gave it to Hornsby, and they worked out how to do it together. I think one took the high, one the low, and they knew the rest of them would fill in the middle. 

Probably fun to be at, maybe fun to relive if you were there, but musically not much worth revisiting otherwise.

In other news, working my way through 30 Trips box, found the transition from 78 to 79 really rough. Don't like how Brent changes the sound of the band. Keyboard is really clangy sounding or something, jarring compared to Keith's subtlety. Generally don't care for Brent's vocals except when he's harmonizing with Jerry. Unpopular opinions in some parts. 

In other news, working my way through 30 Trips box, found the transition from 78 to 79 really rough. Don't like how Brent changes the sound of the band. Keyboard is really clangy sounding or something, jarring compared to Keith's subtlety. Generally don't care for Brent's vocals except when he's harmonizing with Jerry. Unpopular opinions in some parts.

I lived through that transition, and it took me years to attune my ears to Brent's singing and playing. I eventually got it and can now listen back to the '87-spring '90 period and more appreciate Brent's contributions. That being said, I was at the famous Cape Cod show in October '79, which is a definite highlight show. But at the time, I was not very accepting of Brent at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've only listened to the first disc of Dave's 17.  Rough start with Bertha - for most of the song it's only drums and piano. Otherwise very solid show. Not yet seeing it as a show that separates it from the herd though.

That's one thing I've noticed with a LOT of Summer '74 shows - the first song has almost no vocals at first. Then it's like one by one everyone slowly comes into the mix. Very weird, but I know I'm not the only one to notice that.

I still haven't got mine in the mail yet. Nothing unusual there. But it HAS been since Thursday since I got the email saying it's been shipped.

A couple of things to look for - I was listening to the discs I got in a trade about 15 years ago Saturday while driving. There's an AUD patch for maybe 10-15 seconds during Row Jimmy. Right during the bridge ("That's the way it's been in town", etc). I'm guessing that's in there, let me know!

The other thing is the real deal, the part of the show you'll go back to many times, is the WRS > Spanish Jam > Eyes > China Doll. Phil will blow up your speakers during the jams in WRS and especially Spanish Jam.He's in VERY high musical spirits here.

That's one thing I've noticed with a LOT of Summer '74 shows - the first song has almost no vocals at first. Then it's like one by one everyone slowly comes into the mix. Very weird, but I know I'm not the only one to notice that.

I still haven't got mine in the mail yet. Nothing unusual there. But it HAS been since Thursday since I got the email saying it's been shipped.

A couple of things to look for - I was listening to the discs I got in a trade about 15 years ago Saturday while driving. There's an AUD patch for maybe 10-15 seconds during Row Jimmy. Right during the bridge ("That's the way it's been in town", etc). I'm guessing that's in there, let me know!

The other thing is the real deal, the part of the show you'll go back to many times, is the WRS > Spanish Jam > Eyes > China Doll. Phil will blow up your speakers during the jams in WRS and especially Spanish Jam.He's in VERY high musical spirits here.

Thanks -  I was just getting to WRS this morning on the train ride to the city. I'll listen for the AUD patch on Row  Jimmy.

D17 is the 19 july 1974 show right?

I used to have the audience tape of the first set. I really liked it better than the sbd. I actually have always advocated that the Bertha Deal BIODTL and Scarlet are legendary versions. The Bertha solo and Deal solos are just nailed exceptioanlly by jerry. The keith solo during biodtl is amazing. And the scarlet is a masterpiece. Jerry's soloing is really amazing along with keith dropping cool llttlle sounds...

I actually alwasy liked the first set better than the second...

summer 1974 was interesting. I thought some of the extended WRS jams just dragged a bit. My favorite show from summer 74 that I always seem to go back to is 20 June 1974 Atlanta...

6.16 iowa was fun

6.18 Eyes amazing, I like the WRS Other One Blues jam but I can only hear it so many times...the stella is arguably my favorite ever (better than 10.15.1977 or 9.7.73? or 8.22.1972?) The Sugar Mag Dew is stunning...

6.22/3 - Truckin Eyes Slipknot China Doll -- never seems to get old. Compared to the rest of htis tour the band seems to have been on speed...

miami shows - I'll always love the Dark Star Spanish US Blues.

One more thing about that 6/23/74 show: When the Dark Star heats up and Keith switches to the electric piano, it sounds reminiscent of LA Woman. Feel like I've heard them play with this sound before. Has this ever been called a "LA Woman Jam" before, or not quite similar enough? I know Garcia hated the Doors, not much of a fan myself, but LA Woman is pretty good.

D17 is the 19 july 1974 show right?

I used to have the audience tape of the first set. I really liked it better than the sbd. I actually have always advocated that the Bertha Deal BIODTL and Scarlet are legendary versions. The Bertha solo and Deal solos are just nailed exceptioanlly by jerry. The keith solo during biodtl is amazing. And the scarlet is a masterpiece. Jerry's soloing is really amazing along with keith dropping cool llttlle sounds...

I actually alwasy liked the first set better than the second...

summer 1974 was interesting. I thought some of the extended WRS jams just dragged a bit. My favorite show from summer 74 that I always seem to go back to is 20 June 1974 Atlanta...

6.16 iowa was fun

6.18 Eyes amazing, I like the WRS Other One Blues jam but I can only hear it so many times...the stella is arguably my favorite ever (better than 10.15.1977 or 9.7.73? or 8.22.1972?) The Sugar Mag Dew is stunning...

6.22/3 - Truckin Eyes Slipknot China Doll -- never seems to get old. Compared to the rest of htis tour the band seems to have been on speed...

miami shows - I'll always love the Dark Star Spanish US Blues.

I might be confused...Slipknot in 1974?

My reaction to the new pick: underwhelmed.

I already had a copy of the SBD on my iTunes, but had only listened to it once...not a great sign.

The Scarlet is wonderful, the Row Jimmy is nice, and the WRS is very good, but not much else stands out. I feel that most of these shows don't really justify a full show release.

My reaction to the new pick: underwhelmed.

I already had a copy of the SBD on my iTunes, but had only listened to it once...not a great sign.

The Scarlet is wonderful, the Row Jimmy is nice, and the WRS is very good, but not much else stands out. I feel that most of these shows don't really justify a full show release.

Just curious, but why do you guys continue to buy these discs when most are available (or were previously available) at comparable quality and for free? 

Are they available? I'm only given the option to "stream only"

I downloaded several hundred off archives a bunch of years ago before they only allowed the sbds to be streamed, and a few buddies who have extensive BT experience and copies of shows have hooked me up by putting shows into files for me to upload onto iPod/disc. Also, a buddy who was a pretty extensive taper in the 80s has a direct line with a certain notorious taper known for his transfers.

Point being that there are a lot of ways to acquire the shows. I realize support of the band, etc., etc., but was just curious why some of you still opt to pay for "official" releases of the shows. I know mb is a completist, for example....

You can find hundreds of GD soundboard tapes up at bt.etree.org.

I downloaded several hundred off archives a bunch of years ago before they only allowed the sbds to be streamed, and a few buddies who have extensive BT experience and copies of shows have hooked me up by putting shows into files for me to upload onto iPod/disc. Also, a buddy who was a pretty extensive taper in the 80s has a direct line with a certain notorious taper known for his transfers.

Point being that there are a lot of ways to acquire the shows. I realize support of the band, etc., etc., but was just curious why some of you still opt to pay for "official" releases of the shows. I know mb is a completist, for example....

I've had tons of GD live stuff over the years, going back to cassettes, VHS tapes, and SHNs and FLAC's.  I buy these official releases of shows/eras I like because I find the official recordings sound so much better than anything I acquired on the WELL or from friends, etc.  They put out great sounding discs.  And I like the booklets and photos that come with it (though for DP 17 all the photos are from outdoor shows and I didn't think this was an outside show).  Also, streaming doesn't do me any good for serious listening.   So, that's why I buy them.  I'm way past the point of feeling like I should contribute $$ to support the band. 

I don't mind spending the money, and do find that the official releases are superior sonically to what I've found online.

I keep hoping for some material previously unreleased/unavailable in HQ...like the returned Mountain Girl tapes.

Secondary hope is that I'll get a nice HQ show I have never heard. I have not heard anywhere near all their shows!

I did download a bunch of SBDs that came out on the big 30 Trips box, just to see what I missed. Still working my way through those.

I, fortunately or unfortunately, have never been able to decisively distinguish between crisp 'boards and an official release. Between a matrix and a sbd, sure. Either way, it's pretty amazing that so much of the GD music is available to us in so many different forms. i still listen to some of the close to 1,000 tapes during the summer  that I will never part with....