Scorsese's film is still on. Don't think it has anything to do with any of the 50th anni stuff, focuses on the first 30 years.

I hope so. I also had hopes for his supposed documentary on the Stones, but it ended up just being a recent concert film featuring Christina Aguilera and Jack White.

No thank you. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot was shot of FTW, so I'm sure it's there if they want it, but the director was quoted as saying he would not be there.

Yeah, you are right - I must have mis-heard.

"No plans for Scorsese to film Grateful Dead documentary in Chicago"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-grateful-dead-scorsese-doc-column.html

Below is a link that I just came across regarding the movie -- it's nice that Justin Kreutzmann is involved, too - I didn' know that or forgot.

If you happened to visit Olompali State Historic Park near Novato last November, you might have come upon an arresting sight: a camera crew encircling Grateful Dead rhythm guitarist Bob Weir under an old oak tree.

The seven-person crew was part of a team making an authorized documentary, helmed by executive producer Martin Scorsese, about the Grateful Dead over the course of the band’s 50-year career.

Olompali, where the Dead lived in 1966, is just one of the North Bay locales featured in the film, said co-producer Justin Kreutzmann. The documentary isn’t quite finished and may not be released this year.

“It will come out when it’s ready,” said Kreutzmann, 45, the son of Grateful Dead drummer Bill Kreutzmann. “It would be nice to hit the 50th anniversary, but making a better film is more important than trying to capitalize on the hype around that. We’re still editing. There’s so much great material, as you can imagine, to go through.”

grateful-dead-public-domain-slice.jpg

The early days of the Grateful Dead.

Co-producer Eric Eisner, CEO of Double E Pictures, said, “Our film is not a celebration of the band’s 50th anniversary. It’s a celebration of the band as a whole. We hope our movie exists for many years as a legacy piece, so we have no problem waiting until all the festivities of the 50th have passed somewhat.”

http://michaelshapiro.net/grateful-dead-documentary-north-bay-has-starring-role/

I hope so. I also had hopes for his supposed documentary on the Stones, but it ended up just being a recent concert film featuring Christina Aguilera and Jack White.

No thank you. 

Yeah, that Stones film was lame. His Dylan and George Harrison docs were good though. Last Waltz was ok...

Yeah, that Stones film was lame. His Dylan and George Harrison docs were good though. Last Waltz was ok...

No Direction Home is one of the best documentaries out there. 

As much as I love George (named my 2nd born after him!), I thought the doc was a bit too long. Much like George's career, the 1st half of the documentary is much more interesting. 

But anyways - Scorsese's "merely" the Exec Producer on the GD flick. He's not in the director's chair...

If you happened to visit Olompali State Historic Park near Novato last November, you might have come upon an arresting sight: a camera crew encircling Grateful Dead rhythm guitarist Bob Weir under an old oak tree.

That sounds like an outtake from the Bob Weir documentary. It makes me think of the scenes where he is inside the house (710 Asbury).  I sort of recall hanging around there in the mid 1980s. 

That sounds like an outtake from the Bob Weir documentary. It makes me think of the scenes where he is inside the house (710 Asbury).  I sort of recall hanging around there in the mid 1980s. 

Yeah -- but  the article it dated May, 2015 -- the Weir doc was already shot and in the can at that point. But I bet Weir is seats under oak trees all the time.

No Direction Home is one of the best documentaries out there. 

As much as I love George (named my 2nd born after him!), I thought the doc was a bit too long. Much like George's career, the 1st half of the documentary is much more interesting. 

But anyways - Scorsese's "merely" the Exec Producer on the GD flick. He's not in the director's chair...

I don't think Marty directed those docs either, same Exec Producer role. Could be wrong.

With sandals on.

Regarding Mickey's ranch -- that has been one of the coolers things in the last couple of new Dead books - the descriptions and tales from the various ranch's that the various band members lived on during the 60's and early part of 70's.

Lot's of new 1st hand accounts.

I guess during the early 70's, Mickey's ranch wasn't the best place to be - due to the drug scene and the people hanging out there.

I don't think Marty directed those docs either, same Exec Producer role. Could be wrong.

He directed (and produced) both George Harrison: Living in the Material World, and No Direction Home.

Though I think for the Dylan doc, he wasn't involved in any of the interviews - that footage already existed, but he stitched it all together.

He directed (and produced) both George Harrison: Living in the Material World, and No Direction Home.

Though I think for the Dylan doc, he wasn't involved in any of the interviews - that footage already existed, but he stitched it all together.

Regarding the Dylan doc -- Dylan's own manager was the one giving the interview (and coming up with the questions). So in essence, Dylan and his own people came up with the narrative.

And those pants that women wear. . .

I like to think of them as long shorts, which is a much better look for him at his current age than if he were wearing the alternative shorts he sported throughout the 80s....

Looks like the guys from DSO will be playing the Dead in the Amazon series.

Actually, I just made that up to infuriate people. Would be so great. 

It'd be cool if they did a series on DSO and got guys to play the DSO guys playing the GD guys.

With sandals on.

Regarding Mickey's ranch -- that has been one of the coolers things in the last couple of new Dead books - the descriptions and tales from the various ranch's that the various band members lived on during the 60's and early part of 70's.

Lot's of new 1st hand accounts.

I guess during the early 70's, Mickey's ranch wasn't the best place to be - due to the drug scene and the people hanging out there.

Mickey's ranch and Olompali are nearby one another, but they are separate properties.  Olompali is now a state park, well worth a visit, just a beautiful spot.  The Dead lived there for just a summer in 1966.  http://www.dead.net/tags/rancho-olompali They did go back often in the next year or so for parties thrown by the commune that moved in after them, The Chosen Family.  There is a movie about the history of the place that might never get finished or released due to lack of funding, but at least they are trying.  http://www.olompalimovie.com/ 

The Chosen Family story is pretty interesting to some people.  It was founded by a bunch of hippies who wanted to raise their kids in total freedom ala the Summerhill method.  In the early 90s, I interviewed a bunch of the former members and and some of the adults who were kids at the commune. I was an anthropology student at Sonoma State and I lived in a parked school bus in the Cotati backyard of a nudist private detective British ex-pat who had lived at the commune.  My interviews belong to the State Park and are in the archive there waiting for some scholar to use them to "interpret" one part of the park's history.  Contact Park Ranger Breck Parkman if this is calling to you!

After the tragedies at the Olompali commune (child died in the swimming pool, fire in the main mansion house), MIckey took in the Jensen girls on his ranch with all the horses.  Those are the photos you see in the Fillmore West box set and other books of the band riding horses and the famous shots of the Dead and New Riders in front of the big barn. http://www.dead.net/sites/default/files/images/197011xx_0496.preview.jpg

Here's a good essay about the Dead and Olompali and the Chosen Family and Don McCoy and their relationship to the Dead and the SF hippie scene http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2015/01/whos-who-in-aoxomoxoa-photo.html