• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The audio cd for this  (Jerry on Jerry) interview book is listed on Amazon at $76.99. Yikes.

http://jerrygarcia.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=640_80301&pc=JYAM103&src=MSGR105711&utm_source=mtemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mtemail_105711

Looks like you can get it from the Jerry site for $30.

You get the audio and an E-book - which is kinda of cool.

http://jerrygarcia.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=640_80301&pc=JYAM103&src=MSGR105711&utm_source=mtemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mtemail_105711

Looks like you can get it from the Jerry site for $30.

You get the audio and an E-book - which is kinda of cool.

Hey that's a good deal and the first time I've seen anything from the Estate cheaper than it goes for on Amazon....

Looks like the guys from DSO will be playing the Dead in the Amazon series.

Actually, I just made that up to infuriate people. Would be so great. 

Trey will be playing the part of Garcia.

Thank God we've never had to deal with under-bun from Weir.

We did have to deal with the Reeboks, aerobic socks, pony tail and pink guitar.  Who am I kidding...Ioved all that shit.  

That's how dudes wore their shorts/jorts in the 80s. Some of you older dudes probably remember that.

Older dudes. That's me. Except older. I have photos of me from '74-75, my cut off jeans shorts are way too short. I was 17. My daughter gets horrified any time she sees those photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Older dudes. That's me. Except older. I have photos of me from '74-75, my cut off jeans shorts are way too short. I was 17. My daughter gets horrified any time she sees those photos.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tube socks up to the knees, I'm sure.

I am only 25 myself.

I know. You started on this board when you were 12, right?

Listening to Frank Zappa's One Size Fits All.....amazing.....

Recently picked up Sleep Dirt. Not really into it. Was enjoying Joe's so I thought it would be great. It's very avant. The amount of music Z produced in the mid to late 70s is staggering.

Hey, you spilled your Zappa on my Grateful Dead!  Can we go back to discussing Weir's fashion sense, please?  Ha ha ha!

But my, the Dead were smoking in early 1969, weren't they?  I'm deep into the Fillmore West box this week.

But my, the Dead were smoking in early 1969, weren't they?  I'm deep into the Fillmore West box this week.

I was talking about this last night. I don't know if anyone else would agree, but although yes the first half was a golden period the second half of '69 is NOT my favorite GD. The Workingman's stuff starts to slowly dribble in, along with some country covers (Mama Tried, etc).

Don't get me wrong - I love the roots stuff, it gets really good around Feb. '70, but TC was not cut out for that material. It sounds kind of forced, not natural - like the band is stumbling around a bit with this new direction. They could still pull out an Alligator or a Dark Star and blow up the room, but High Time, Cumberland, etc. aren't very good at that point.

The writing was on the wall - TC had to go. As soon as he did they relaxed and the new direction began to really get strong. 

I know what you are talking about, mountain bed.   I do, however, like when Viola Lee Blues returned in April '69 after about a one year absence.

Then there is the 11/6/69 Dicks Picks 16. That first set of that show had some real problems on the Workingman's stuff as you mentioned, but they got good again later in the show with the great jam, Dark Star>Other One>Dark Star>Uncle John's>Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven and then Caution>Main Ten>Caution!

I also think January through September of 1971 had some great moments, but wow, some horribly boring and redundant moments as well. 1970 also suffered from Lesh's Donna-esque harmonies...

Love the Fillmore East run in April '71.  Particularly the DS>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA segment to end 4/28, and the final Fillmore East performance on 4/29.  Among my favorite shows to listen to.

Love the Fillmore East run in April '71.  Particularly the DS>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA segment to end 4/28

This was one of the first boots I ever owned and listened to it incessantly. I still love listening to it and knwo the Stephen-> NFA-> GDTRFB-> NFA segment note for note. It's got some really bouncy moments in it (love the laughing in St. Stephen when Weir and Garcia are singing different lyrics in the last verses) and is one of my favorite pieces of music the GD ever did.

I start winter break tonight and this is gettin' played. Thanks for the reminder!

Same here --- that 4/71 Filmore run is one my favorites ---- if hard pressed, I would say that Ladies and Gentleman set is my favorite official release. Listening to the run, you can tell that they were enjoying their stay in the city.

This was one of the first boots I ever owned and listened to it incessantly. I still love listening to it and knwo the Stephen-> NFA-> GDTRFB-> NFA segment note for note. It's got some really bouncy moments in it (love the laughing in St. Stephen when Weir and Garcia are singing different lyrics in the last verses) and is one of my favorite pieces of music the GD ever did.

I start winter break tonight and this is gettin' played. Thanks for the reminder!

Same to every word of that ( except I didn't get to hear it tonight. Tomorrow).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know what you are talking about, mountain bed.   I do, however, like when Viola Lee Blues returned in April '69 after about a one year absence.

Then there is the 11/6/69 Dicks Picks 16. That first set of that show had some real problems on the Workingman's stuff as you mentioned, but they got good again later in the show with the great jam, Dark Star>Other One>Dark Star>Uncle John's>Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven and then Caution>Main Ten>Caution!

Well, I will take Viola Lee any damn time it gets to my ears! It's actually my #1 GD song, cover or not.

That Dave's Pick from Dec. '69 is much the same deal for me. The new stuff is pretty ragged, then at the end you get 35+ minutes of Alligator > Caution > Feedback. That is a stellar version imo.

Agreed as well...I also think January through September of 1971 had some great moments, but wow, some horribly boring and redundant moments as well. 1970 also suffered from Lesh's Donna-esque harmonies...

Most of '71's highlights for me are centered around April. That's a REAL strong month for The Quintet, and arguably the best month of Pig there is.

That version of Loser on there is great. I find that solo really moving. And the version of Bird Song also.

Yeah that Bird Song is a great early one. I hate that they got rid of that tune right when Pig got sick. Keith didn't get a shot at it until July '72, and it was an obvious monster pretty much from the beginning with him. And only was played for about a year, then that was IT for Bird Song in the Keith & Donna Years. Tragic - that tune should have been in Europe.