Yeah that Bird Song is a great early one. I hate that they got rid of that tune right when Pig got sick. Keith didn't get a shot at it until July '72, and it was an obvious monster pretty much from the beginning with him. And only was played for about a year, then that was IT for Bird Song in the Keith & Donna Years. Tragic - that tune should have been in Europe.

Yep. My favorite versions of that song are all from '72, especially 7/18 & 8/27, but '71 had a few great ones. The tempo is not too hurried, as it always would be after they resurrected it, and Jerry's playing is some of his finest, IMHO.

Just got 4/8/72 in the mail, a show I have never heard. Looking forward to digging into that over the next few days.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was given the complete Boarding House - Old & In the Way recordings, for Xmas.

Great stuff. When did Jerry even have time to learn and master those songs on the banjo? I know his banjo playing went way back, but still. To be able to fit in and kill on those songs, in the midst of a very productive year for GD touring...

Was given the complete Boarding House - Old & In the Way recordings, for Xmas.

Great stuff. When did Jerry even have time to learn and master those songs on the banjo? I know his banjo playing went way back, but still. To be able to fit in and kill on those songs, in the midst of a very productive year for GD touring...

Sweet. A buddy gave my wife and I the JGB on Broadway 10.28.87 release. He got a Mars Hotel shower curtain in return.

I am up to 1974 - which is about 2/3rds of the book -- real good, thus far. They interviewed some of the Dead office workers - which for me is kinda cool - a different perspective of the events.

I also enjoyed the book. One thing I learned I never heard of before was a supposed meeting in Bob's studio with Van Morrison in the blues for Allah sessions era, the only connection of dead & van I know of (except JGB's covers of VM). Anyone has more info or links about this? 

Agreed as well...I also think January through September of 1971 had some great moments, but wow, some horribly boring and redundant moments as well. 1970 also suffered from Lesh's Donna-esque harmonies...

August 1971 (included in your spread of Jan-Sept) was a nice little peak of great playing.  You have the killer show on 8-6-71 in Hollywood with the greatest ever Hard To Handle (imo) among other highlights and then that great two show run in Berkeley later in the month.

I think I was raving about these shows a few months ago, but doesn't hurt to check them out again.  The guitar tones, especially Garcia and Lesh's, are wonderfully crisp and clear.  Short but intense jams throughout.

https://archive.org/details/gd1971-08-14.sbd.trip.1451.sbeok.shnf

https://archive.org/details/gd1971-08-15.sbd.130890.MrBill.flac16

Happy New Year!

We rung it in with Tempe AZ cover band Xtra Ticket with A'Bear from JGB.  They recreated 12/31/80 and it was very good, like DSO-good.  They completely nailed the acoustic stuff with lots of great piano solos and nice vocal harmonies.  To Lay Me Down, Cassidy, Bird Song were highlights for me, but it all sounded just like Reckoning, I was quite impressed and filled with a bunch of happiness and stoke.  I've Been All Around This World and Ripple sounded extra good in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNDgcHcD04

yes, happy new year folks!

it's "twenty-sixteen", right, not "two thousand sixteen"?

listened to broadcast of Dead & Co. last night and it sounded mighty fine. missed second set, cause, EST, gonna go hear it now!

That will likely require a trip from Boston. 

If you guys haven't seen this it might pique some interests. An audio comprehensive compilation of every guest appearance with the GD (over 80 hrs of music):

https://archive.org/details/AllGratefulDeadGuestSit-ins66To95

Just started listening, 30 seconds ago!

The Q returns: 3/17 and 3/18 at the Cap in Port Chester!!!!

That will likely require a trip down from Boston.  Will be a tough ticket.

If you guys haven't seen this it might pique some interests. An audio comprehensive compilation of every guest appearance with the GD (over 80 hrs of music):

https://archive.org/details/AllGratefulDeadGuestSit-ins66To95

That was enjoyable just to look at the list itself. I'll dig in when I get home.

Strange ordering of the material though...

The Q returns: 3/17 and 3/18 at the Cap in Port Chester!!!!

Plus the very next night is JJ Grey and Mofro with the North Mississippi All Stars, that sounds like a real nice weekend.