Wow surprised at all the ratdog negativity.  I agree that the more recent stuff was tough to swallow, but they had a really good run IMHO.

I had more fun at some of the ratdog shows than I did at dead shows in the nineties.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I couldn't stay away.  30 days of Dead has some good nuggets this year.  I also picked some PLQ '01 shows.  So damn good!!  SBDs seem to be downloadable at archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/2001-04-20.paf.sbd.philleshnet.4230.sbefail.flacf

Well worth the slight travel and dough to see the Dead & Co. in Saint Louis. Musically - far better than the Fare Thee Well shows.

Great shakedown prior to the show in a park across the Soldiers Memorial Military Museum and of course they opened with Shakedown Street.

Mayer fits in real well, esp. on the Sugaree. Everyone played great for the packed rink - no hideous flubs by anyone. Mickey, Billy, and Oteil sounded great together - must admit, I didn't miss Lesh in the slightest.

Also enjoyed both Weir and Mayer trading vocal leads on various songs, like Terrapin. Weir did sound great, both vocally and musically. LLR was real nice. The Wheel was the only clunker for me.

Pretty decent recording --- the sound was pretty good for a hockey rink.

https://archive.org/details/deadandco2015-11-20.akg483.flac16

Set 1

01 Shakedown Street

02 Brown Eyed Women
03 New Minglewood Blues
04 They Love Each Other
05 Black Throated Wind
06 Sugaree
07 The Music Never Stopped

Set II
08 Aiko Aiko
09 Eyes Of The World
10 Let It Grow
11 Terrapin Station
12 Drums
13 Space
14 The Wheel
15 Looks Like Rain
16 Sugar Magnolia
17 E: Ripple

I was fortunate enough to get VIP access to the Nashville show, watching a fair bit of the second set from the side of the stage. I never saw the Dead proper. As a teenager in the early 90s, I was far more interested in the then-rising Phish. I'm a casual Dead fan, but even I had to recognize what an amazing gift it was to see so much of the Grateful Dead on one stage, just a few feet away from me. Really cool memory.

The show didn't do a ton for me, as the tempos are so slow and there is such wild inconsistency between the players. You've got Mayer and Oteil giving it 100%, plus Chimenti who's been comfortably inhabiting his role for a while now. But then the core trio are all over the map. If Mickey is mixed into the house at all, I'd be surprised. Just useless. Bill is just kinda there, but offers no real backbone to the proceedings, while Bob seems in much better shape than the Fare Thee Well snippets I heard, but he'e still a wreck of sorts. Oddly, the fact that Mayer and Oteil are attacking this so fiercely just underscores how weakly the original members are playing. Don't get me wrong, given their ages and personal history, it's amazing any of them are able to play anything. But it's hard to maintain that sense of awe at their history when they've got a hotshot half their age just firing off one flawless run after another. The dichotomy is so pronounced, it's distracting. I'd much rather have seen them with Phil and one of the Jerry clones just so the playing field was a bit more even (though Phil still plays with real vigor).

But for all the virtuosity Oteil and Mayer bring, it also feels really out of place. Mayer is so studied and driven, he doesn't really make mistakes, but at the same time, it's hard to know what he brings to the table on a personal or emotional level. Everything with that guy's music is always so mannered and manufactured it seems to undermine whatever talent and passion he has for the material. That being said, he led the band through Viola Lee Blues and seemed to infuse it with a lot more of his ideas and personality, with a lengthy, sorta heavy blues jam to open and several solo sections that just wailed. By far the highlight of the night to these ears.

With the 50th Anniversary coming to a close, I'm curious to see how they ride this out next year. There's still lots of money to be made, so I'm assuming a summer run is on its way. Should be fun for those looking to relive old memories or, like me, just get a small taste of what once was. That being said, I'd love to see Mayer and Oteil stay committed, get Bob to stay on point, and then bring on Hornsby and John Molo or Joe Russo or some other experienced members of the extended Dead family who can still really wail. Call it Ratcat or something. Do three nights at the Ryman. Focus on the songs rather than the scene. That I'd gladly pay to see again.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone carries on with The Dead mantle when Mickey, Billy and Bob are done.  Phil's done touring.  The pedigree is there for the music to continue.  Maybe even some new music.  JK, Jeff, Molo, Oteil.  Mayer will probably keep the ball rolling.  

Not much more can be said about post Jerry era and this 50th anniversary.  The boys tried their best over the years and there were moments of brilliance.  Lots of attempts at paying homage to the Grateful Dead.  Unfortunately, no real attempt at moving it forward with new music and a steady line up.  I do think Bruce could've become the de facto leader if he'd had the interest.  Alas, he choose to focus on his goofy adult contemporary projects  :twitchsmile

Getting old and seeing your musical heroes get old is a sobering and fairly bittersweet experience.  Where did the time go?  20 years ago, the Grateful Dead, and music in general, totally defined my life and gave me so much excitement. Now, 'real life' has settled in with it's ominous adult concerns.  Sure would be great to hit a few shows each summer like the old days.

Just rambling.  Thanks for the recent reviews of the latest shows.  Still digesting PLQ '01.  Good stuff, but is it possible there is too much jamming?  Warren seems to run out of ideas.  And, was Cumberland ever conceived as a 20 minute jam vehicle?   :wave

Agree with what BobLamonta wrote about Dead & Co.

Also agree that as great as PLQ was in 01, too much jamming. From that 4/20/01 show you posted, a Dark Star/Blues for Allah sandwich that clocks in around 45 minutes. 12 minute slipknot, 22 minute wharf rat. Seeing them could be pretty exhausting. 

Just rambling.  Thanks for the recent reviews of the latest shows.  Still digesting PLQ '01.  Good stuff, but is it possible there is too much jamming?  Warren seems to run out of ideas.  And, was Cumberland ever conceived as a 20 minute jam vehicle?   :wave

When you are tripping on psychedelics, there is no such thing as "too much jamming"  :rotfl.  Seriously, though, I didn't find it boring to listen to Haynes and Herring wail away on all those long jams.  If they hadn't been playing so great, I would probably agree with you.  I was fairly blown away all the times I saw that lineup, but I don't listen to recordings of them hardly ever.

I have not listened to the Road Trips shows in a while. I am giving Volume 3/Number 1 a spin (Austin Texas, 11/15/1971).

I was thinking about this the other day…the writing that occurred from 70-72 from Garcia is astounding.  I could just keep naming the amazing tunes he knocked out in that time period.  Bobby was really coming into his own too.

I really hoped Bruce would come in and at least throw some weight around with the hope that he wouldn't look stupid. Oh (Fare Thee)Well. Will probably check out some Phil after my self induced hiatus.

The only time I got to see GD, Bruce Hornsby was on the tour. It was mentioned by a GD member at the time ( I can't recall whom) that he's making us rehearse for shows man that's something we ha e not done.

I watched Bruce look up often as if to see what the heck was coming or if he should stretch w/ a solo on the FTW.

Having said that too bad he's not out with this bunch because Otel & Mayer are better on that stage than I would have imagined. Well at least in Worcester they were imho.

Happy Thanksgiving folks..

The only time I got to see GD, Bruce Hornsby was on the tour. It was mentioned by a GD member at the time ( I can't recall whom) that he's making us rehearse for shows man that's something we ha e not done.

I watched Bruce look up often as if to see what the heck was coming or if he should stretch w/ a solo on the FTW.

Having said that too bad he's not out with this bunch because Otel & Mayer are better on that stage than I would have imagined. Well at least in Worcester they were imho.

While Jeff Chimenti is not the virtuoso like Bruce H. on piano  - Jeff definitely holds his own -- plus he great on the B-3 organ (which obviously Bruce doesn't play) and he really knows the tunes. He played pretty great in Saint Louis.

In Blair Jackson's Garcia book, Bruce mentions that he was gonna quit if Jerry didn't get is ass I gear. So Bruce really was a driving force in those 18 months. I loved hearing his tunes mixed in the set list and some of the crazy stuff he led the bad through. Scarlet/Victim/Fire!

He's also the reason the Othe Ones were so great, IMO. Would've been so cool if they Dead played backing band for one of his solo albums.

Agree with what BobLamonta wrote about Dead & Co.

Also agree that as great as PLQ was in 01, too much jamming. From that 4/20/01 show you posted, a Dark Star/Blues for Allah sandwich that clocks in around 45 minutes. 12 minute slipknot, 22 minute wharf rat. Seeing them could be pretty exhausting. 

I agree with BobLamonta, too. That was a really good post.

Regarding The Q - man that bands was on another planet then! I loved it - it could be exhausting  :D but I really dug it. JW try out the 7/15/01 Deer Creek show, that was a really good one!

More on this tour as a whole soon, but the Good Lovin' from 11 April 1972 may be the finest Good Lovin' i've ever heard...

Better than the "Brooklyn Bridge" from 4/17/71?

That Deer Creek Q setlist is real nice. I saw the night before at Alpine. Also real good, but I think that tour Phil was doing a lot of his Millenium Jams, long drawn out instrumental passages, that could be a little much, on top of all the other more familiar jams. 

speaking of JRAD, any of you boston heads going to the shows at the paradise this fri and sat? going to both nights with a good friend (my first time seeing these guys) and would love to finally meet some fellow VCers before our wilco doubleheader at the end of january...

happy turkey eve, everyone!

p.s. in the spirit of thanksgiving, big thanks to VCer karl houfek, who hooked us up with some great orchestra seats for night 1 at the orpheum. you rock, karl- so great how this fan community is so happy to help out strangers based solely on mutual love of the band. :)

About 10 minutes after I posted this I found out they released more tix to the sold out CO shows, told my wife, and she purchased tix for the first night.... heh.

Did you make it to the Dead & Co. show, Lammycat?

Did you make it to the Dead & Co. show, Lammycat?

Went Tuesday night, blew off Wed. It was ok. Not magical by any means. We were on the floor, good sound and lights and Bob sounded in good form. But, I couldn't really get over looking up and seeing Mayer for a whole show. My hang up. I guess. Plus, as good as Oteil is, Phill is a big gaping hole that is noticeably missed. Overall, left with a feeling of stoicism even though it was a fun night with lots of friends around having a hoot.

A few friends over for Thanksgiving yesterday split for Vegas shows after dinner and wanted me to go. Wasnt going to spend the money for any more shows....

Plus, as good as Oteil is, Phill is a big gaping hole that is noticeably missed. Overall, left with a feeling of stoicism even though it was a fun night with lots of friends around having a hoot.

This is EXACTLY how I know I would feel (especially after listening to a couple of shows), which is why I didn't make the 4 hour drive to see 'em in Cbus last week.