A Conversation with Jeff Tweedy at the MCA

The audio is finally out >> http://pitchfork.com/features/podcasts/9692-a-conversation-with-jeff-tweedy-at-the-museum-of-contemporary-art-chicago/

On July 16, the night before Wilco’s headlining set at the 10th annual Pitchfork Music Festival, Jeff Tweedy sat down for a conversation with Pitchfork Editor-in-Chief Mark Richardson at Chicago’s Museum of Contemporary Art. The interview kicked off the MCA’s In Sight Out, a collaborative series exploring new perspectives on music, art, and culture, and it came at a pivotal moment for Tweedy and Wilco. It’s been 20 years since the group launched their recording career with 1995’s A.M., so the talk provided an opportunity to discuss their formative years and Chicago’s mid-‘90s music scene, as well as the band’s brand new album, Star Wars, which was actually surprise released as the event was taking place.

*(Sorry for the error in the title, I can't edit :/)

good interview. and we got an answer about why they didn't have any of the Wilco (The Album) songs on those roadcase releases.

A partial answer at least.  Not surprised it was some contractual issue, but I'm still wondering what the issue was specifically with W(TA) as distinct from any of their other label releases. 

I can always listen to Tweedy talk.  But I got to the end and wanted to hear about Star Wars.  Wish this interview took place a day or 2 later.

Did anyone else notice when Tweedy said they were going to play the entire album tonight and it will sound different, the interviewer went right by that?  I think he thought Jeff was speaking hypothetically, I don't think he got that Jeff was saying they were going to play Star Wars in its entirety that very night.

That was a great question. And an insightful answer.

Thanks. I was very happy with the thought behind the answer too.

It would have been fun (in a conversational setting as opposed to an auditorium with cameras) to dive deeper. I love listening to early versions of Ghost songs and I think it enhanced my appreciation for the album cuts. I agree that my being there wouldn't have helped the creative process! I totally buy into audiences not being capable of that. I don't blame them for doing what they do.

(This forum won't let me quote anymore, wtf is up with that?)

My guess with regard to the "pay someone else to play our own songs" thing is that WTA was their last label (Nonesuch?...I can't remember) album and the label didn't want it to be the last and/or it contractually wasn't supposed to be, so they worked out a deal:  We (the band) are leaving prematurely.  In exchange, you (the label) gets to keep your hand in the cookie jar for that one album.

With regard to the live show sounding nothing like the album, my interpretation is that he was saying live performances always sound significantly different than studio recordings, or even other live versions.  Performances evolve over time, in other words.  Everything he said leading up to that about going back and hearing the studio recordings and what a weird experience that is leads me to that interpretation.

(This forum won't let me quote anymore, wtf is up with that?)

When you click in the reply window, a tool bar will appear at the top of the box with symbols for bold, italics, underline, etc. Right above the "B" symbol for bold, there's a little light switch icon. Click on that, and then go back to the post you want to quote and click the "quote" button. That should work.

When you click in the reply window, a tool bar will appear at the top of the box with symbols for bold, italics, underline, etc. Right about the "B" symbol for bold, there's a little light switch icon. Click on that, and then go back to the post you want to quote and click the "quote" button. That should work.

Test. That seems to work. Thanks! That was driving me nuts.

It was interesting to hear him kind of defend some of the recent releases. He didn't mention any by name, but I am assuming he was referring specifically to SBS and W(TA). I love most of SBS and believe that W(TA) has some great songs. W(TA) is definitely the weakest part of their catalog, but it's good to be reminded that it has some great material and to hear him stand by it.

I'm always impressed by Jeff's insight.  I could listen to him talk about music for hours.  I'm only about 15 minutes in (had to leave for a show last night), but I look forward to listening to the rest of the interview.

I'm always impressed by Jeff's insight.  I could listen to him talk about music for hours.  I'm only about 15 minutes in (had to leave for a show last night), but I look forward to listening to the rest of the interview.

I completely agree. And it's not only music that he can speak impressively about. Back in May, I drove almost 4 hours to Durham, NC, to hear him talk about American Movie, and it was better than I dared hope. He's just a smart, funny, thoughtful conversationalist.

Was this actually said at some point during the podcast? I must've missed that.

Yeah, Jeff said it. I think it was about 2/3 of the way through the interview. It was in the context of whether or not songs have to be regularly practiced to prevent them from being forgotten/unlearned.