I've watched a few videos from Weir's current tour. Wish I could attend a show, think it would be fun. Puzzled that he continues to sing Garcia tunes, like Althea, Standing on the Moon, Ship of Fools, Peggy O. Think it would make sense to focus more on his catalog that fits with the Cowboy genre, like Jack Straw, Blackthroated Wind, etc. And gotta say Weir does not sound great on the guitar. Sometimes just sounds like he's banging out chords like someone who has never played a guitar before, not listening to the rest of the band. Typical Weir stuff I guess. And again, I think there will be some high points in the shows too. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really great show last night. Opened with Corrina, a tune I have always enjoyed. Also played Dylan's Most of the Time - which I was not expecting, a great version. That tune has always been one of my favorites from Dylan. The first time I saw Dylan, in 97, Ani DiFranco opened for him and she did a version of Most of the Time, then when Dylan came on that same night, he did his version - now I have Weir's - great, great tune.

Already up on Archive.

https://archive.org/details/weir2016-10-20.akg481

Heard a few good, weird Dead versions of Corrina. It could lead to some interesting places. Not sure about Weir playing it solo though. Especially with the catalog he has to draw from. Um, Jack Straw, Music Never Stopped. Fuck, play Mexicali. Looks like a cool show though.

Yeah - I have always enjoyed the tune when I saw them live in the 90s - loved the beats, etc - no  beats last night, just guitar.

I don't think I've ever heard or read those words before!

Ha. I've had no shame in ever uttering similar words. I love the beat, the harmonies, and Garcia's guitar work can get downright nasty  on it.Never understood the general distaste for the tune. It's pretty funky, imo.

Well now geez I REALLY think "Victim" took off and became a very solid exploratory tune through its growth! Plus, it usually paired with "Foolish" which I loved from the get-go, studio album version aside.

Yeah, Victim was great. Bob has plenty of terrible songs. That is not one of them. Gotta give Bob credit for trying to bring strange, heavier sounds to the band in later years, when Jerry was sticking to a pretty standard template. Days Between being the exception.

Well now geez I REALLY think "Victim" took off and became a very solid exploratory tune through its growth! Plus, it usually paired with "Foolish" which I loved from the get-go, studio album version aside.

I love Victim! I'd say by the Fall of '89 it had really taken off and could get super weird. I love the ugliness of it - it might be about the most dissonant song they ever did. Definitely a later-era Crimson feel to those ascending steps.

I don't know any of those songs probably. I have that album on cassette - but I don't know if I ever listened to it. I must have at least once years ago.

What other songs are you referring to? I think "Victim or the Crime" is the only tune the guy co-wrote the lyrics too that made it into GD repertoire. He also wrote/co-wrote lyrics to some Rat Dog tunes too ("Even So," I think and 1-2 others).

Really great show last night. Opened with Corrina, a tune I have always enjoyed. Also played Dylan's Most of the Time - which I was not expecting, a great version. That tune has always been one of my favorites from Dylan. The first time I saw Dylan, in 97, Ani DiFranco opened for him and she did a version of Most of the Time, then when Dylan came on that same night, he did his version - now I have Weir's - great, great tune.

Already up on Archive.

https://archive.org/details/weir2016-10-20.akg481

Holy hell that China Cat is an abomination. I didn't think it could be played worse than Jerry did in 95, but Weir never ceases to amaze. It's one of the great guitar lines in all music, just play something that sounds like it, or act like you've played a guitar before. Oh well, the Dead stopped giving a shit about it after 74, so no big whoop. Enjoy the cowboy and stripped down stuff. Things fall apart from He's Gone on, when they open it up and reveal the band hasn't quite meshed yet. The drummer sounds pretty good though. And enjoy Kimock's lap steel on Stella Blue (and other tunes), kinda had me thinking of Gilmour's outro on Higher Hopes. Better version of Mama Tried than the Dead ever played. 

Flaws aside, this band and project has potential, points to a new direction. Hope Weir tunes it up keeps it going rather than returning to the nostalgia trip of Dead & Co.