Had time home alone today, so spent some time with the '73 Winterland box. Could be my favorite of all the box sets they've put out. A peak year, and the HDCD's sound sterling.

I popped in D9, 1973-11-11, the final disc of the 3 night run. A 35 minute Dark Star to start, the notes just rolling off a band sounding so relaxed and inside the music. Everything on this disc has the vibe of a Sunday night, relaxed, confident, on top of their game (with the exception of the start to SSDD).

You can pull any disc out of this box and have yourself a treat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.jambands.com/news/2016/12/01/dead-company-set-2017-tour-dates/

Dead Co dates.  I might go this time.  I've kind of warmed up to them a bit.  They have a very mellow sound.  Less dense than Furthur, which I like.  Mayer definitely sounds great on guitar.  Singing is tough to take.  Also, is it possible he plays too many notes?! :-)  Oteil and John are definitely making this band rehears. Wish Oteil was louder in the mix though.  He was starting to open up last tour.

So, I've been thinking about who will carry the mantel as the boys move on (in one way or another).  Jeff is in and Oteil and Mayer seem to really have the vibe.  Drummer would def be Russo.  Do they need a Bob?  Just some dumb speculation.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2016/12/01/dead-company-set-2017-tour-dates/

Dead Co dates.  I might go this time.  I've kind of warmed up to them a bit.  They have a very mellow sound.  Less dense than Furthur, which I like.  Mayer definitely sounds great on guitar.  Singing is tough to take.  Also, is it possible he plays too many notes?! :-)  Oteil and John are definitely making this band rehears. Wish Oteil was louder in the mix though.  He was starting to open up last tour.

So, I've been thinking about who will carry the mantel as the boys move on (in one way or another).  Jeff is in and Oteil and Mayer seem to really have the vibe.  Drummer would def be Russo.  Do they need a Bob?  Just some dumb speculation.

I can barely deal with Mayer, His voice annoys me and he seems to "miss" a lot of notes in his too-many notes playing, if that makes any sense. Once Bob/Drummers are out of the picture there is zero reason for this thing to linger on. 

I'd imagine the remaining guys would continue to play Dead music in some configuration after the Core 3/4th's move on.

Still don't care for Mayer's generic blues riffs inserted into Dead songs.

Wish Bob would continue to pursue his cowboy project more, as I would think it has to be more musically gratifying. 

I was trying to avoid to ever see a show at Wrigley -- but my wife and friends are already game for it. So we shall see.

I don't find anything generic about Mayer's guitar playing -- though, his voice can grate on my nerves a bit. Maybe he over plays a bit, but he has seemed to reign that in a bit, too.

I would have no problem with Oteil being louder in the mix.

Wrigley is great if you can get on the field for the experience. Stands are a bit far away. Fun times in the neighborhood before and after, as there are actually enough bars to absorb the crowd. Will be nitrous everywhere, which is a plus/minus depending on your preference. Certainly weird to see tanks out on the street in Wrigleyville.

Really wish they were doing alpine again as it's a huge pain to get into and park at Wrigley from the burbs, but I don't think I can miss these. Had a much better time at the dead and co shows last summer than I did phish.

February 19, 1973 Chicago - Other One is really well done...

Set 2 looks interesting. Set 1 seems to be one of the latest known shows to be undocumented or taped, as this can't be the whole thing:

Promised

Box Of Rain

B. E. Women

El Paso

He's Gone>

Truckin>

Other One>

Eyes>

China Doll

Sugar Magnolia

Casey Jones

Set 2 looks interesting. Set 1 seems to be one of the latest known shows to be undocumented or taped, as this can't be the whole thing:

Promised

Box Of Rain

B. E. Women

El Paso

He's Gone>

Truckin>

Other One>

Eyes>

China Doll

Sugar Magnolia

Casey Jones

Can't find any other info on that 1st set. Apparently the entire band wore Nudie suits for this one, though....

Robert Greenfield's biography on Bear is a good read so far. An overdue analysis as one of the most important people from the era, and a truly unique American. If you found Jarnow's Heads to be a tedious and challenging read as I did, you will likely find this book to be enjoyable. A bit short though, but surprised at how often the reclusive Bear is quoted throughout. 

Did end up buying tickets to the Sat. Wrigley show. Last show of the tour - should be interesting.  Still, would definitely rather hang out in a lot, than Wrigleyville. I think it will be hard to play Frisbee on Clark and Addison.

Just need to make sure we are back downtown by 12:50am to get the last train out and we will be good to go.

I don't recall if there's a separate JRAD topic, but they released a soundboard of the Boston House of Blues show for download and stream. I can assure you it was a barn burner (but aren't they all). Worth downloading. 

https://archive.org/details/jrad2016-12-02.cmc621.cmc641vxt.sbd.matrix.flac24

Nice. Thanks. They're in Denver tomorrow night and Boulder and Aspen over the weekend. All sold out, too.

I don't recall if there's a separate JRAD topic, but they released a soundboard of the Boston House of Blues show for download and stream. I can assure you it was a barn burner (but aren't they all). Worth downloading. 

https://archive.org/details/jrad2016-12-02.cmc621.cmc641vxt.sbd.matrix.flac24

They sure nailed the Jack Straw.

Still haven't seen these guys, yet.

Hopefully they pass through Chicago again at some point. I am not sure how they draw here, they always play a venue (Concord Music Hall) that is not that great and where security has rep. for being tough. I know their venue choice is the reason why I haven't seen them yet -- for the sound reasons, on my part - at this point in my life I don't care about security and such, but I know some do.

That being all said, my wife saw the Violent Femmes at the Concord this past summer and she said it sounded fine.

Let's hope it does not get edited down to nothing before we get to see it:

As reported a long-in-the-making documentary about the Grateful Dead directed by Amir Bar-Lev, which counts Martin Scorsese as an executive producer, will premiere next month at the Sundance Festival. A page for the film, titled Long Strange Trip, has been posted on Sundance’s website and confirms the run time for the documentary is a whopping 235 minutes.

A May report said the documentary would be presented as a mini-series but that appears to be incorrect. Long Strange Trip will premiere at Park City’s Yarrow Hotel Theatre on Monday, January 23 at 8:30 p.m. The Yarrow Hotel Theatre will also host showings on Tuesday, January 24 at 8:30 p.m. and on Saturday, January 28 at 8:45 p.m. In addition, Salt Lake City’s Tower Theatre will screen Long Strange Trip on Thursday, January 26 at 6 p.m. The film is expected to feature plenty of never-before-seen footage and interviews.

Long Strange Trip Sundance Show Times

Monday, January 23, 8:30 p.m. – Yarrow Hotel Theatre, Park City

Tuesday, January 24, 8:30 p.m. – Yarrow Hotel Theatre, Park City

Thursday, January 26, 6:00 p.m. – Tower Theatre, Salt Lake City

Saturday, January 28, 8:45 p.m. – Yarrow Hotel Theatre, Park City

^ All of this is pretty exciting stuff. Hell, 3:55? We could all go much longer than that if it's really good. I sure hope it will be.