• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, guys. I thought Lammy was at this one, too. What a long, strange trip it's been. Funny how you got falsely accused of being a "Touch-head" before the term had even been coined! :lol

Right?! It was only the 4th time it'd been played (first time at Cap Center in Landover on the 15th)!!

Right?! It was only the 4th time it'd been played (first time at Cap Center in Landover on the 15th)!!

Just went back to this Cap Center show with the first Touch. They open the show with a Playin' and go back to it 3 more times throughout the show. Cool. I like the Touch's from the beginning goes of it, too..

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-09-15.fob.tigerrose.howard.andrewf.81690.sbeok.flac16

I was at this show too and the only thing that really sticks out was me kind of wandering around on my own and settling into a side seat and when they opened 2nd set with Touch some older 'head next to me asking me if I knew what tune it was (I didn't) but not in an inquisitive manner but rather in a snarky manner. WhenI said "no I don't" he scoffed/chuckled and said "yeaaaaaah, I remember MY first show!" That son of a bitch scarred me for life as my first show was in same venue but spring of '81. 

Funny, there where times when I did not recognize the song, but I always seemed to sitting next to someone with encyclopedic knowledge of that particular song.

It's pretty strong. Kind of in the same vein as that Robert Plant and Alison Krause album. 

As a Deadhead that has purposely ignored Bob's solo stuff, i was just not expecting the quality on this. I know a lot of credit goes to Josh Ritter and The National guys, but I'd say it's more in the vein of Dylan's "Time Out of Mind". The track "Ki-Yi Bossie" is just crazy good!

Senator, I served with Time Out of Mind. I knew Time Out of Mind. Time Out of Mind was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Time Out of Mind.

It's a nice tribute to a genre, and a surprising turnaround for Weir, but I don't think it holds a candle to one of the great albums of the last 20 years.

I listened to the stream. My first thought was also Time Out of Mind. It's not something I would buy.

I doubt Mr. Bear would go for this:

On November 15, Robert Greenfield will release Bear: The Life and Times of Augustus Owsley Stanley III, his new biography of the iconic Grateful Dead cohort, who passed away in March of 2011.

Listening to GDradio on lunch break: 

Ratdog 3.17.06:

Help on the Way > Slipknot! > It's All Over Now > She Says > Liberty, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall@*, Friend of the Devil@4*, Looks Like Rain@ > Bury Me Standing@ > Fly Away, Silvio > Tequila > Silvio > Tequila > Silvio > Althea > Stuff > Sugaree+ > Two Djinn > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower*+#%
E: Maggie's Farm*+#%, Touch of Grey*+#%
*-with Bela Fleck (Banjo); +-with Jeff Coffin (Saxophone); #-with Victor Wooten (Bass); %-with FutureMan (Percussion); Stuff - Jeff/Jay/Robin/Kenny
(Bela Fleck & the Flecktones opened)

That should read 3/17/06

After reading your post, I was thinking to myself how did I miss hearing about a 2016 Ratdog tour...

Shit, I did the same thing when looking the show up and kept getting only a P&F show...

September 23rd, 1982. Veterans' Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT. My first Dead show, 34 years ago today.

I'm sure I've posted about this a few times here over the years. At 17, I was a little rocker dude, heavily into Van Halen, The Who, Aerosmith, etc. My brother, three years my senior, had already graduated high school with a head full of acid and a bottle of Jack in his hand, more or less. I hadn't even taken my first dose...still experimenting with weed and a little booze.

I'd heard bro playing the Dead on our little record player. Europe '72. I thought they were okay, but a little dull. Not hard rocking like the bands I was into. Somehow, I'd gotten enough into it that I was willing to tag along for the Dead show on 9/23.

Listening to the board today, there doesn't seem to be anything extraordinary about it, though Jerry rips off quite an unhinged solo in Alabama, and Brent's vocals sound right on. Maybe it takes a murky audience recording to convey the energy of the room. All I can say is that I was levitating throughout this experience, and not due to whatever little herb was smoked that night. I was relatively straight for my first Dead show: no LSD, no booze.

Like a lot of Dead shows from the 70s and 80s, the second set was where minds were blown. Lost>Saint was incredible, Garcia's fills bouncing off the walls like snowflakes or hail. The still-unreleased Throwing Stones and Touch of Grey were massive singalongs. In those pre-internet days, it was unheard of for people to actually know all the words to a song that hadn't been played on the radio before. The Wheel>The Other One>Wharf Rat would have sealed the deal if I hadn't already been converted. Yep, the bus came by and I got on. Big time.

To top off this night of firsts, they closed it out with Baby Blue. It was the first time I'd ever heard the song, having only a moderate exposure to Dylan's major tunes on AOR radio. What an introduction.

Give it a listen if you've got a couple hours to kill.

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-09-23.sbd.miller.108973.flac16

I've always been a big fan of '81. Had lots of tapes from that year. '82 was a different story - for some reason '82 & '83 were always under-represented in my collection. After I got into Archive I heard much more than the April and August shows that dominated my tapes. I've come to the conclusion that '82 seems to me to be underrated as a whole - for levels of consistency more than anything. They were really gelling a lot! The Fall shows, while not (maybe!) as hot as late July/early August is to my ears  still very very strong. I always bemoan the lack of '81 and '82 shows in the official releases. There is a lot of special moments in those two years. 

That was a good write up, Mike! I think it would be cool if more of us did that kind of thing here, regarding shows we went to. 

The below is kinda cool - I guess this a last minute addition, the guitar player from the National had to drop out, due to a family emergency. At least I will be familiar with someone else on stage, beside Weir.

I do like the new album. Nicely produced and good tunes.

Kimock Joins Bob Weir on Campfire TourOctober 4th 2016

Steve Kimock will join Bob Weir on his Campfire Tour, supporting Bob’s new record Blue Mountain.  The tour kicks off in Marin County this Friday, October 7th.

I got a free print subscription to Rolling Stone.  The review of Weir's solo album in the current issue begins "The Grateful Dead bassist's first solo album in a decade is a set of 'cowboy songs' ..."

Wow --- at least they got the band right.

Bob's 69th bday....

I remember being at a birthday show of his in St. Pete '88. there was a massive card for him in the lot. Brent's (36th) birthday was a few nights later in Dallas with a Happy Birthday from the crowd and a Wang Dang Doodle 2nd set opener. That was a phone show.