• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it that is from one of the recent new uploads at bt.etee.org. Any other band would probably do a cease and desist on whoever is uploading that stuff. 

Yeah - it 's been quite the week -- I wonder if or when the well will dry up. Anybody know who the 'anonymous source' may be?

Here's one Mountain Bed will appreciate:

NeW Riders Of The Purple Sage
Harpur College
Binghampton, NY
Saturday, May 2, 1970

Source: Soundboard > Reel Master > Cassette > DAT (48k)

01 //Workingman's Blues
02 Brown Eyed Handsome Man
03 Truck Drivin' Man
04 If You Hear Me When I'm Leavin'
05 tuning
06 Whatcha Gonna Do//
07 All I Ever Wanted
08 Henry
09 Lodi
10 Weir intro and tuning
11 Saw Mill *
12 The Race Is On *
13 Mama Tried *
14 Me And My Uncle *
15 The Weight

John 'Marmaduke' Dawson - rhythm guitar, vocals
David Nelson - lead guitar, vocals
David Torbert - bass, vocals
Jerry Garcia - pedal steel guitar
Mickey Hart - drums

guest:

Bob Weir - guitar, vocals *

Here's one Mountain Bed will appreciate:

Can you even imagine what it must have been like at that show?  :omg

I wonder if the space where they played is still there? It would be cool to check it out.

Just after I posted this reply I found a Jeff show from Harpur College (Illinois) at bt.etree.org.

Cosmic.

August 9, 1995. I remember exactly where I was (at my desk at work) and how I learned the news (phone call from a friend). I didn't believe it, as my GD friends had been sardonically joking about Jerry dying since seeing the Dead for the Albany run in the spring. Garcia looked and for the most part sounded terrible. During Black Peter my buddy and I just looked at each other, saying this day is coming soon. So it had been a running joke, and when I got the call I thought it was another prank call. After all, we were in the midst of receiving our mail order tickets for the fall Boston Garden run. I had been getting great seats, Jerry couldn't be dead. My wife was driving our young kids when she heard the news on the radio and immediately called me. I knew it was for real then. I next called one of my hometown buddies now living in LA, we grew up on Long Island listening and seeing the Dead. I distinctly remember the conversation: "Bobby, what am I going to do with the rest of my life?" "Gary, get a grip."  Both statements very true, each in their own way. Hard to believe it's been over 21 years since I last saw Garcia.

Is it a Garcia tie, at least?

I have a couple of his ties - Looks like they are on sale at Kohl's --- cashing in on his death, I guess. Man the one's on sale are pretty ugly.

I was working at a crappy mortgage company, my first "real job" after moving to Tampa. There were no other Deadheads there, as far as I know. People made snide remarks. They thought it was funny, I guess. No one there gave a damn about it except me. It was like a punch in the gut followed by several good shots to the head. A truly awful day.

Yeah, I was at my first "real job" too, wearing that tie. I don't believe it was a Jerry tie though.

No longer do I have to wear the tie. That went the way of the whale oil burning lamp.

Late morning, 8/9. I was working 3rd shift and had been asleep for maybe 2 hours. My wife took a call and woke me up - it was my long time pal and tour buddy Jack. He delivered the news. I had that night off so we organized a wake at my house with all of my  pals I went to shows with. 

I was ok until the 12/12/69 "He Was A Friend Of Mine" came on. That's when I broke down. 

I was on a family trip in Ireland when I got the news, so wasn't able to partake in any of the communal mourning that took place. I remember not being very surprised or sad at the time. I saw the second to last show at Soldier Field, as was pretty bitter regarding the quality of the performance. Felt like a real ripoff to be charging people for something that was clearly a fucking disaster, ruining cherished songs. Can't say I'm upset that the Grateful Dead ended based on their trajectory at the time. Sorry for Jerry's family and friends, particularly his daughters, for the loss. 52 is too young. And still Dick Cheney lives and breathes. 

Driving down Linden Ave. in Dayton, OH. Turned on radio to hear Alabama. That was not a song they ever played. I knew it was bad news. After that tune the DJ came on and reported the news. I too was kind of relived. I only went to one show that summer...Pittsburgh. Not too bad, but the riots and the awful shows. Very sad. Looking at how these dudes are still out there pushing 70 always makes me wonder 'what if'. I really think if Garcia had taken long breaks after Brent died and focused on JGB and G/G things might've been different.

Driving down Linden Ave. in Dayton, OH. Turned on radio to hear Alabama. That was not a song they ever played. I knew it was bad news. After that tune the DJ came on and reported the news. I too was kind of relived. I only went to one show that summer...Pittsburgh. Not too bad, but the riots and the awful shows. Very sad. Looking at how these dudes are still out there pushing 70 always makes me wonder 'what if'. I really think if Garcia had taken long breaks after Brent died and focused on JGB and G/G things might've been different.

Nice, I went to University of Dayton 93 - 97. Maybe we crossed paths. Returned to Kiefaber Ave for my junior year summer after Jerry died.

Nice, I went to University of Dayton 93 - 97. Maybe we crossed paths. Returned to Kiefaber Ave for my junior year summer after Jerry died.

Ha! Went to Miami, but I was in a band called Flying Blimd that played with Gullivers Medicine Show, if you ever saw them. We lived in the house right behind Ben and Jerry's. Small world. I worked at Gem City for a while. Did you go to that famous Phish show at Nutter Center in 97? With Psycho Killer?

Almost went to UD for grad school. Small world!

I too wonder about graceful aging. As much as I loved 1989 and the return of Dark Star, it also marked the return of vitamin H for Jerry. 1989 and 1990 were great years, but the inevitable slide had begun.

___IF___ he had stayed clean in 1989 and never used H again, perhaps he'd still be with us...playing only acoustic shows...

Ha! Went to Miami, but I was in a band called Flying Blimd that played with Gullivers Medicine Show, if you ever saw them. We lived in the house right behind Ben and Jerry's. Small world. I worked at Gem City for a while. Did you go to that famous Phish show at Nutter Center in 97? With Psycho Killer?

Almost went to UD for grad school. Small world!

Uh, yeah. Lived with Durbin, Mersman and friends with the whole Gullivers crew. Vaguely remember Flying Blind. I probably partied with you a few times. 

Uh, yeah. Lived with Durbin, Mersman and friends with the whole Gullivers crew. Vaguely remember Flying Blind. I probably partied with you a few times. 

That is crazy.  Flying Blind toured a lot, but we played Canal Street and the old Sub Galley.  Gulliver's were on that bill.  We had a pretty good jam scene going there for a while.  Fun times.  Went by way too fast.

Did you ever play with Electric Apricot?

Along with Ekoostik Hookah, Ohio's early-mid 90's precursors to the big national jam band wave that included the likes of Umphrees McGee, String Cheese Incident, etc. Some really embarrassing band names came out of this group.

___IF___ he had stayed clean in 1989 and never used H again, perhaps he'd still be with us...playing only acoustic shows...

I wondered the same thing right after his death, but then a while later when the autopsy came out it said something like the arteries in his heart were down to pin hole size. The implication being that even if he stayed clean, a lifetime of abuse, diabetes and being overweight did so much damage that no matter what he did, he didn't have much time left.

I was at work when I heard the news on NPR. I went home for the day.

Does anyone else remember the internet "breaking" on 8-9-95 from overuse?