Listening to some 5/25/72 today to commemorate the date...44 years ago today. Great run to end that tour.

14 tune 1st set (18/18 the next night) compared to the 6-7 song 1st sets in '94-95 era. 

5.26.95 Seattle=6 tunes. 

Apples/oranges, I know, just a reflection.....

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5.26.95 was a great show for the year though -- just listened to it this a.m.

It's true! That Scarlet-> Fire, I believe, we talked about a week or 2 ago.....a monster with some eerie shit in there.

The video is grainy, but 26 years later (26! hard to believe) the music remains incredibly hot.  One of my favorite versions of Eyes and one of my favorite shows. Nothing like the first time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO4YV185orE

Awesome.  Jerry looks great as does Phil in that nice sweater!  This sounds so good on Without A Net.

Ah, didn't make that show but what a wonderful show! That 1st set often gets overlooked, for obvious reasons, but is very solid. I love the Jack Straw-> Bertha opener and the Masterpiece and Birdsong are top-notch.

Sunday night's Phil and Friends show is sounding freaking great to me. I wasn't there, but I'm loving this show.  Phil, Warren, Krasno, Melvin, Tony Leone...

Listening to this now --- Phil's normally bugs the hell out of me when he sings - but I really like his singing on 5/28/16's Broken Arrow.

Looks like Circles Around the Sun are playing Lockin'.  That would be fun.

Watched some of the first set of Dead & Co. at Bonaroo last night.  Everyone seems to be having fun and it was cool to see Donna.  Where was she at FTW?  Mayer is definitely taking some leadership.  He sounds great, but, as always, he's not Jerry.  I can never hear Oteil's bass with them either.

This sort of surprises me. Has Bob ever said such a thing before:

The band had been quiet hosts throughout the evening, but Weir manned his mic after “Grey” wrapped. “As we know, there was a massacre in Florida, not far from here,” he began. “I’d like to point out that last week, a distinguished representative from the State of Georgia went on the floor of the House of Representatives of our country and started quoting bible verses in which he basically promoted, or at least rationalized, death to gay people as a reward for the way they were born.” The crowd signaled their support with a hearty boos.

“This morning, the Lieutenant Governor of Texas said that, ‘Well, they’re reaping what they’ve sown,” Weir, palpably frustrated, continued. He echoed his speech earlier in the day accepting his Les Paul Spirit Award BBQ. “Now, I wanna ask a question: how different are these peoples’ world views from the world views of the people with ISIS? It’s the same hatred. They pull those hatreds out of different books.”

I'm all for artists saying whatever the hell they want, but these statements are divisive, out of touch, and weird. Used to say let the music speak for itself, that it could do more to unify us than any statement. But been listening to the Bonnaroo show, not sure that's the case. Bobby and Mayer singing Jerry tunes is pretty brutal. Bobby's sing-speak is Shatner-esque. The playing is much more melodramatic (cheesy). And Mayer is a one trick pony on the guitar, blues licks all over the Other One. Some good moments here and there, but man, I could brutally trash these guys. It's not worth the time though. 

When Ratdog played The Murat Theater in Indy on 11/7/00 (the night of the Bush/Gore election) he yelled (during Throwing Stones, iirc) "I hope you motherfuckers voted for Al Gore!"

I have the SBD here on cassette somewhere.

I'm all for artists saying whatever the hell they want, but these statements are divisive, out of touch, and weird. Used to say let the music speak for itself, that it could do more to unify us than any statement. But been listening to the Bonnaroo show, not sure that's the case. Bobby and Mayer singing Jerry tunes is pretty brutal. Bobby's sing-speak is Shatner-esque. The playing is much more melodramatic (cheesy). And Mayer is a one trick pony on the guitar, blues licks all over the Other One. Some good moments here and there, but man, I could brutally trash these guys. It's not worth the time though. 

Yeah, bob singing jerry has always been rough.  I really wish they had let one person (other than bob) sing the Jerry tunes in all the post garcia incarnations.  Bruce was the best.  Always a tribute and he made them his own.

As far as Dead and Co go...I usually watch the first few songs and then quit watching/listening.  It's exhausting to try and get through the whole show.  glad the kids have some semblance of the Dead to go see.

Yeah, bob singing jerry has always been rough.  I really wish they had let one person (other than bob) sing the Jerry tunes in all the post garcia incarnations.  Bruce was the best.  Always a tribute and he made them his own.

As far as Dead and Co go...I usually watch the first few songs and then quit watching/listening.  It's exhausting to try and get through the whole show.  glad the kids have some semblance of the Dead to go see.

Yes, unless you're a big Mayer or Weir fan, I guess the attraction is the atmosphere/experience. I don't doubt there is some fun to be had and value there, not worth it to me though. For some people, it is kind of addicting, and for others, they never experienced the real thing. A little whiff of transcendence is better than nothing at all.

When Ratdog played The Murat Theater in Indy on 11/7/00 (the night of the Bush/Gore election) he yelled (during Throwing Stones, iirc) "I hope you motherfuckers voted for Al Gore!"

I have the SBD here on cassette somewhere.

I saw a video. That was pretty powerful.

Well, the one Dead and Co. show I saw, in Worcester last year, I thought was excellent. Has me going back for more when they hit Fenway (and I'd vowed I would never see another concert in Fenway). I thought it was a really good take.