Yes, unless you're a big Mayer or Weir fan, I guess the attraction is the atmosphere/experience. I don't doubt there is some fun to be had and value there, not worth it to me though. For some people, it is kind of addicting, and for others, they never experienced the real thing. A little whiff of transcendence is better than nothing at all.

This is my view as well. Very well put. For me, the atmosphere was interesting, and definitely amusing at times.  But I NEVER was there for "the scene" as I have stated previously. I primarily am all about the music going on onstage. Mayer is an guitarist of some renown, Oteil is a badass bass player who can hold the groove as well as anyone in the genre, Chementi is a fine addition (although I wish he was more aggressive). I just have too many issues with tempo and Weir's mishandling of Garcia-sung tunes. It just doesn't make the nut for me. I sincerely hope all who do shows on this tour have a great time. I just know when I balance the music with the cost there's no way it's going to be worth it. For me.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my view as well. Very well put. For me, the atmosphere was interesting, and definitely amusing at times.  But I NEVER was there for "the scene" as I have stated previously. I primarily am all about the music going on onstage. Mayer is an guitarist of some renown, Oteil is a badass bass player who can hold the groove as well as anyone in the genre, Chementi is a fine addition (although I wish he was more aggressive). I just have too many issues with tempo and Weir's mishandling of Garcia-sung tunes. It just doesn't make the nut for me. I sincerely hope all who do shows on this tour have a great time. I just know when I balance the music with the cost there's no way it's going to be worth it. For me.

I agree about the tempo.  Set 1 in Worcester, every song was at the exact same mid-tempo. Was more variety in the set.  Pretty much why I think JRAD is the best take on the GD songbook. 

Responding to the last 2 comments:

Oteil is one of my favorite bass players (bassists?). There's a great youtube of him playing the bass solo in Eyes from last fall, maybe a MSG show? Felt like I was listening to a 74 show. But in the recent Bonnaroo webcast, at times he's barely audible, not doing much. Really loved him in the Allmans and other bands I've seen him in, but think he's underutilized in Dead & Bro. Chimenti I've always found to be kind of an invisible man. Great support, can't recall any solos he's ever taken in any band. 

As for the tempos and JRAD, the jamband kids love JRAD. I've heard comments from some of them that they don't like the Dead, but love JRAD. Silly (there's that word again), but combining the songbook with a bit more energy is pretty powerful.

Any of you Dead fanatics familiar with the early Jerry & Merl Saunders shows? I've been listening to a ton of Dead boards lately, so I took a break and switched to some of these Jerry/Merl gems from '72 that I had downloaded but hadn't played yet. There's a Jesse Winchester song they do a couple times called Biloxi. I'd never heard it before. Dang, this might be the best thing I've heard all month! I freaking love it.

Just when you think you've heard at least a few versions of everything old Jer did, another great ballad. I might just have to play that one again.

The Keystone shows were from '72, right?  That Live at Keystone album was always one of our favorites from the moment it came out. We wore out the grooves. The Keystone box is sweet.

Never heard Biloxi

73 --- I enjoy the box quite a bit -- skipping on the latest release, though. Mostly because I don't want to spend the money on it. Music should be great, though.

Some of their earliest shows were '72. Peak Jerry period for me.

Edit: I posted that from my phone while away from my desk. Here are the dates of the '72 Jerry/Merl stuff I've got so far, all worth seeking out:

1/15/72 Keystone

1/19/72 Lion's Share

1/20/72 Lions's Share

2/6/72 - Pacific High Studio

Other Keystone: 6/30/72, 9/1/72, 12/20/72

12/28/72 Lion's Share

Some of their earliest shows were '72. Peak Jerry period for me.

Edit: I posted that from my phone while away from my desk. Here are the dates of the '72 Jerry/Merl stuff I've got so far, all worth seeking out:

1/15/72 Keystone

1/19/72 Lion's Share

1/20/72 Lions's Share

2/6/72 - Pacific High Studio

Other Keystone: 6/30/72, 9/1/72, 12/20/72

12/28/72 Lion's Share

Completely agree - very much peak Jerry...

I would also add 24 September 1971...

Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders

The Lion Share

San Anselmo, CA

09/24/71

Early and Late Shows

MSR -> 1C -> D -> Digi001 -> SHN

Early Show

Set 1

Disc 1:

1.  Save Mother Earth Instrumental ->

2.  Imagine Instrumental

3.  One Kind Favor

4.  I Was Made To Love Her Instrumental

5.  Baby, What Do You Want Me To Do?

6.  Down Around Biloxi

Late Show

Set 1

Disc 2:

1.  Hi-Heel Sneakers

2.  Man-Child Instrumental ->

3.  Summertime Instrumental

4.  That's The Touch I Like ->

5.  Annie Had A Baby ->

WPLJ

- -- Filler --

Keystone, Berkeley CA

12/20/72

MSR -> D -> 1C -> D

6. Expressway To Your Heart ->

7.  Jam ->

8.  Space ->

9.  Georgia On My Mind

Notes: approximately 1/4 second dropout removed from "Down Around Biloxi"

approximately 1/8 second dropout removed from "Georgia On My

Mind"

Transfer:

Sony PCM-M1@44.1 -> Digidedesign 001 Optical S/PDIF -> HD as Sound Designer

2 @44.1 -> Pro Tools LE (Tracked, and converted to Wave) -> SHN

Filler was recorded to HD @48 and downsampled in Pro Tools LE to 44.1

Personnel:

Jerry Garcia (Guitar, Vocals)

Merl Saunders (Keyboards, Vocals)

John Kahn (Bass)

Bill Kreutzman (Drums)

I always caught 5 of the 6 shows during those Boston Garden runs. Always skipped the first night. Yes, that Scarlet>Fire on 10/1 was a keeper. Was that the same year they did a killer Scarlet>Fire in MSG?

My strongest memory of the 1994 Boston run was the Spanish Jam on 9/29. I hadn't heard a Spanish Jam live in so many years. I think I was the first on the floor to hear it coming and I literally jumped out of my seat. One of those GD moments.

Went last night to Hartford and caught Dead and Company.

Really a smoking hot show. On both of the aforementioned counts, I enjoyed the crowd vibe here at Hartford usually much more fun than Mansfield.Everything from shakedown street outside / Micro brews 2 for 7 bucks Ts for 10 and nice people from all over our country! The crowd aspect is really worth checking out and I will miss that when its gone.

Inside well the PIT was jammed as usual. However the balloons and cool heads prevailed. The crowd was boisterous ( a word I heard JT say) when they loved a song and The Bamd took notice with smiles and nods. If you have not caught a good Hartford show I would recommend it. Hope to head back for Gregg Allman & ZZ Top end of August. Next up for Dead & Co for me is Fenway Double fun!

Setlist

Set 1:

Hell in a Bucket

Cold Rain and Snow2

Queen Jane Approximately

Big River

Row Jimmy2

Mississippi Halfstep Uptown Toodleloo3 > Cumberland Blues3&4

Set 2:

Estimated Prophet

Eyes of the World3 > Deal2 > Viola Lee Blues3 > Drums > Space > The Wheel3&4

Black Peter > U.S. Blues2

Encore:

Touch of Grey3&4

Setlist Notes

1 - First Time Played this Summer

2 - Mayer Lead Vocals (If not noted, Bob's got it)

3 - John and Bob on Vocals

4 - With Oteil!

Note: Jeff adds sporadic vocals here and there and it is a little hard to tell which songs he sings on.

Lets enjoy it while we're passing through it!

Went last night to Hartford and caught Dead and Company.

Really a smoking hot show. On both of the aforementioned counts, I enjoyed the crowd vibe here at Hartford usually much more fun than Mansfield.Everything from shakedown street outside / Micro brews 2 for 7 bucks Ts for 10 and nice people from all over our country! The crowd aspect is really worth checking out and I will miss that when its gone.

Inside well the PIT was jammed as usual. However the balloons and cool heads prevailed. The crowd was boisterous ( a word I heard JT say) when they loved a song and The Bamd took notice with smiles and nods. If you have not caught a good Hartford show I would recommend it. Hope to head back for Gregg Allman & ZZ Top end of August. Next up for Dead & Co for me is Fenway Double fun!

Setlist

Set 1:

Hell in a Bucket

Cold Rain and Snow2

Queen Jane Approximately

Big River

Row Jimmy2

Mississippi Halfstep Uptown Toodleloo3 > Cumberland Blues3&4

Set 2:

Estimated Prophet

Eyes of the World3 > Deal2 > Viola Lee Blues3 > Drums > Space > The Wheel3&4

Black Peter > U.S. Blues2

Encore:

Touch of Grey3&4

Setlist Notes

1 - First Time Played this Summer

2 - Mayer Lead Vocals (If not noted, Bob's got it)

3 - John and Bob on Vocals

4 - With Oteil!

Note: Jeff adds sporadic vocals here and there and it is a little hard to tell which songs he sings on.

Lets enjoy it while we're passing through it!

Great for you roadhse. Ugh for me. I was invited to go down with one of my GD buddies, he had a connection for tickets, I couldn't make it for work reasons as I'm out several days starting tomorrow, turned out the seats were 2nd row center. He had a blast, everyone had a blast...I've seen several GD and post-GD shows in Hartford over the years (May '77 and Colt Park among the 2 most memorable -for completely different reasons), always a good take in Hartford. Glad you made it. I'm waiting on Fenway.

Posted the below in another thread.

I saw Weir and Wasserman play in a shed too - think it was 92, with Michelle Shocked and others on the bill. The place (the horrible World Music Theater) was pretty empty. Great show, though.

Just found the setlist.

7/16/92 World Music Theatre, Tinley Park, IL ticket.png
Bombs Away>Take Me to the River, Twilight Time, KC Moan, Witchcraft, Eternity, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Fly Away, This Time Forever>Shade of Grey, The Winners>Heaven Help the Fool>Bass Solo>Victim Or the Crime>Josephine>Spoonful*
(*w/Michelle Shocked & Bruce Cockburn)