Does anyone else remember the internet "breaking" on 8-9-95 from overuse?

I didn't even have access to the internet in 95, unless I went to a library. Of course, in '95 I was still living at my p's house (I was on college summer break) - they still don't have internet.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't watch it - but I think I saw a video compilation of news reports somewhere the other day. I don't think I used the Internets until later on - late 1996 I think. 

Along with Ekoostik Hookah, Ohio's early-mid 90's precursors to the big national jam band wave that included the likes of Umphrees McGee, String Cheese Incident, etc. Some really embarrassing band names came out of this group.

There was a moment in my life when Ekoostik Hookah was my favorite band  :headbonk

Steve Sweeny is a great guitarist.  I sat next to him at a Phish show once.  He was cool. 

Yes, the 2nd and 3rd tier jamband scene got pretty saturated there for a while.

There was a moment in my life when Ekoostik Hookah was my favorite band  :headbonk

Steve Sweeny is a great guitarist.  I sat next to him at a Phish show once.  He was cool. 

Yes, the 2nd and 3rd tier jamband scene got pretty saturated there for a while.

Freshman year at Dayton, 1993, we drove up to Columbus almost every Wednesday night to see Hookah for a while there. Burned out on them real quick, and never saw them after 1994. They're still touring, with a revolving cast of guys. I think down to 2 original members. Sweeney is good but a classic jamband noodler. Still playing Loner...

I didn't watch it - but I think I saw a video compilation of news reports somewhere the other day. I don't think I used the Internets until later on - late 1996 I think. 

Jesse Jarnonw's Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America covers the interrelationship between the Dead, Deadheads, and creation of the internet - with labs at Stanford and MIT in early 70's being run by Heads, and many of the early uses for the internet being tape trading, databases for setlists and lyrics, and of course the first purchase over the internet being weed. Haven't reached Jerry's death in the book yet, but if anything significant happened on the web that day, it'll be in there.

I read Jarnow's book and don't remember him mentioning the internet crashing on 8/9/95 -- though that doesn't mean it was not in the book. Really interesting and informative book, but his writing bugged me.

I think there was sort of scene here where I live back then. I don't know much about it as I was never involved in such things. It was nice to see everyone with long hair though. Maybe the last time we will see that. A friend of mine from high school was the the main main in one of those sorts of bands. I believe they are still at it. The band is called The Recipe. 

I read Jarnow's book and don't remember him mentioning the internet crashing on 8/9/95 -- though that doesn't mean it was not in the book. Really interesting and informative book, but his writing bugged me.

Agreed on the writing style. I can't figure out what bugged me, it was like he was writing the book in the present tense. I'm no English major, but think he was likely emulating some favorite author with the style. Like turn it into a Pynchon tale or something. Love his other writing, but think he got a bit too heady here.

I think there was sort of scene here where I live back then. I don't know much about it as I was never involved in such things. It was nice to see everyone with long hair though. Maybe the last time we will see that. A friend of mine from high school was the the main main in one of those sorts of bands. I believe they are still at it. The band is called The Recipe. 

Yeah, the Recipe.  I remember them.  

So AMan, are you a long hair dude?  I'm 42 and still am.  I keep threatening to cut it, but it gives me so much cred at dead related events.  :)

Freshman year at Dayton, 1993, we drove up to Columbus almost every Wednesday night to see Hookah for a while there. Burned out on them real quick, and never saw them after 1994. They're still touring, with a revolving cast of guys. I think down to 2 original members. Sweeney is good but a classic jamband noodler. Still playing Loner...

Well, we were probably at some of those shows together too.  I think I kept up with them until Mullins left the first time.  Ended up seeing them in 2002 on a whim or something.  Yep, they did Loner.  It was great to have a local band that had memorable songs though.  All right, I'm heading out to Hookahville!  Later.

Yeah, the Recipe.  I remember them.  

So AMan, are you a long hair dude?  I'm 42 and still am.  I keep threatening to cut it, but it gives me so much cred at dead related events.   :)

Yes - what is left of it. I am 50 now. 

Yes - what is left of it. I am 50 now. 

Rock and roll brother!

In other related Dead news that no one gives a shit about...I play 2-3 gigs a year in random Dead cover bands.  Both are this weekend.  I was pulling together the setlist.  I think there are 5 songs in a row in the key of E.  I'm fine with it, but the keys dude hates that.  Should be fun.  You musicians can probably guess some/all of the tunes :-)

Weir stopped by XM studio with Gary Lambert to talk about his upcoming "Campfire" tour - wish it was passing through Chicago - anyway Lambert has always been talking up Wilco over years. Sorry for the big pic.

13667968_1078593252176681_37606634512401

I wonder if Jeff did anything on his new album. I recall they seemed to spend some time together a few years ago. 

Have not seen anything mentioned about Jeff being involved in Weir's new album. Seems to be more of the National/Brooklyn scene.

Weir stopped by XM studio with Gary Lambert to talk about his upcoming "Campfire" tour - wish it was passing through Chicago - anyway Lambert has always been talking up Wilco over years. Sorry for the big pic.

13667968_1078593252176681_37606634512401

Lambert is amazing! I got the opportunity to sit and talk at length with Gans last March when he was here. Sweet guy. Anyway - the subject of Lambert came up and Gans (quite the Dead Scholar himself) talked about how consistently he is blown away by Gary's encyclopedic knowledge of all things GD. 

Nice to know he digs Teh Wilcos as well. 

Short Rolling Stone interview with Phil, here.

I found this interesting:

What was the best part of the Grateful Dead's success for you?
It was wildly successful for me until we took the break from touring [in 1975]. When we came back, it was never quite the same. Even though it was great and we played fantastic music, something was missing.

What was missing?
It's hard to pin down – a certain spirit. It would come back now and then, on some awesome evening, some particularly great performance. But that was even more frustrating, because it would disappear again for X number of shows, just disappear.

Anyone else have the '75 rehearsals tapes? I'm listening to them for the first time, as I went on a Dead bender and downloaded pretty much everything I could find from the early to mid-70s. If you think you'd like to listen to them jam on Stronger Than Dirt like twenty times in a row, this might be the stuff for you. I love it.

https://archive.org/details/gd75-03-17.sbd.vernon.10111.sbeok.shnf