• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will dig it! The Other One > Dark star sequence is very spacey. Maui Wowie, anyone? :D

Apparently, I already have the Mason's Children, as they released it on the reissue of Workingman's. The rest will be new to me.

"It's mostly Maui Wowie but it's got a little Labrador in it."

"Labrador?"

"Yeah, my dog ate my stash."

Most enjoyable 2 nights in a row at Fenway I will spend until the fall ( fingers crossed )

PIT for Fri and yes you could play checkers on John Mayers outfit on Friday ...

Set lists were thankfully varies from Hartford and the people from different states and counties were great as well as the ushers ... For a change

With apologies to jw harding -- I purchased the two webcasts at Fenway - out of the two nights, I think Passenger was the only clunker - Friday's Mayer's outfit was a bit funny - man, he can play.

http://thoughtsonthedead.com/a-candid-photo-of-john-mayer/

Found a free stream and watched parts of it. Thought it was pretty painful. Mayer's playing is ok, too bluesy at times, music doesn't really go anywhere interesting or new though, but overall the guitar playing is fine. My main gripe is that since Jerry died, the band has tilted too heavily toward Weir - his cheese and melodrama is unchecked. Now with Mayer it's like Bob & Bob Weir Jr. The cheese is amped up so high it's painful. The way both of them sing Jerry tunes if fucking brutal, particularly the big ballads, which Bob has no feel for. The subtlety is gone. No one can emote the way Jerry could, and Bob and Mayer make that so obvious. Phil's voice is awful, but it least it sounds genuine. Some people like cheese, I do too, just in smaller doses.

Oh, and Mickey Hart licked the beam, so fuck that guy. 

Turned it off and found this incredible footage of 2/14/70 to watch instead: https://youtu.be/gmPhb-tWgBg

Why waste your time with Dead & Bro when there are incredible gems like that waiting to be uncovered? 

Weir, Paul, and Gronk: https://www.instagram.com/p/BH_Jm4gBGBV/?taken-by=barstool_sports&hl=en

Went to Both Fenways, Had a wonderful time.

Back for Macca last night stunned when Weir came out!, loved it!

He immediately asked How many of you where here last night? Surprisingly, got a strong response.

So dam glad Dead and Company are touring. The best Dead cover band on the planet imho.

Went to Both Fenways, Had a wonderful time.

Back for Macca last night stunned when Weir came out!, loved it!

He immediately asked How many of you where here last night? Surprisingly, got a strong response.

So dam glad Dead and Company are touring. The best Dead cover band on the planet imho.

JRAD, but glad you had a nice time.

Thanks!

that's way up on the list of the biggest WTF moments i've seen on stage.

Awesome photo!

Do you mind if I share it with a pal or two through personal text?

Pitchfork and Jesse Jarnow's review of Dead & Co in Fenway. Seems about right to me:

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1233-coming-to-grips-with-dead-bro-john-mayer-and-the-improbable-live-rebirth-of-the-grateful-dead/

That was well-written. I loved this line: "It’s hard to think of another tour this summer that’s as friendly to families as it is to psychedelic users. Besides national parks, there aren’t many institutions that serve both. But unlike members of the Grateful Dead, national parks don’t go on tour."

Recently finished Jarnow's Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America - ​it was an interesting book, but Jarnow's writing bugged the hell out of me. At times, he wrote some dumb one-liner after each section/chapter - each sentence could have been cut and it would have been a much enjoyable read.

Nice review though - Pitchfork covering a Dead show - who would of thought.