Although 10.31 opens with a Bertha (always a good thing), 11.7.71 is a more solid show, imo. Also, I really like the 11.6.71 show over the 11.7.71 (Bertha factor and Sing Me Back Home...).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was listening to 1/17/68 last night. I picked it out randomly on Archive and immediately recognized the show when it kicked in because of the announcer who introduced the band sounds like he's 12 years old or just took a big hit of helium or perhaps is a Wee person. I dunno but the show is a keeper despite some cuts and some tape whine. The Eleven and Spanish Jam are standouts.

I'm not hitting the road to follow Dead & Co too far this summer : Fenway 20 mins from my house, and Hartford 1:45 away Fenway shows (2) are the last 2 of the tour.

Anyone else seeing the summer run?

Catching one of the Fenway shows. I hate seeing music in Fenway. But I'm going. Also talking with a buddy about making the Hartford show.

Since we are from the same area, perhaps we will say hello at one of them. Hoping for good weather.

Not that I want to change the subject from Dead and Co., but... working my way towards the end of the 30 Trips set, and the 92 show was pretty underwhelming. The highlight was Maggie's Farm, a pretty frantic Cumberland-esque take on the tune. Maybe they chose this show because it has Dark Star in it, but it didn't do much for me. I know there were better 92 shows. Real head scratcher.

The 94 show from Boston Garden, on the other hand, is a bonafide doozy. Starts with a Help>Slip>Frank. Tom Thumb. Best version of So Many Roads ever. Another Promised Land? The best one in the whole box set (and there are a lot of them). Garcia's backing vocals make it shine. Then an incredible set 2, with a 16 minute Fire, that features some excellent guitar sounds from Garcia, including a midi-flute before he modulates to more traditional tones. But what's the deal with Weir's tone? Maybe it was to counterbalance Garcia's preference for acoustic sounds with Lightning Bolt, but Weir's guitar is just making skronks and blurgs. Not much resembling chords going on here. I guess it works as a whole, but makes me wonder if it could've been better had he played the guitar like it was a guitar. The other thing that jumps out about this show are Vince's contributions. I was very familiar with his yelping vocal style, but he adds some nice falsetto harmonies on Saint and Terrapin. And some cool, cosmic, new age keyboard sounds at appropriate times. They would be cheezy in other contexts, but seem to work here. An excellent Stella Blue with Garcia pouring his heart into it. One of the best shows of the bunch. Seriously.

I've listened to the '92 show and don't remember it at all - that's how great it is!  :stunned  I've always thought the 6/28 Deer Creek was the best post-Bruce show I ever saw (out of a dozen or so).

Regarding ScarFires, that 10/14 MSG is a monster, 30+ min version that deserves a listen.

Regarding ScarFires, that 10/14 MSG is a monster, 30+ min version that deserves a listen.

No doubt! 

Another excellent 90s one to listen to is , gasp, from 1995! This, I submit, is the last great Scarlet-> Fire: Seattle 5.26.95:

https://archive.org/details/gd95-05-26.sbd.2663.sbeok.shnf

The whole show is worthy of listen, too. Excellent Help->Slip->Frank opener....

Not that I want to change the subject from Dead and Co., but... working my way towards the end of the 30 Trips set, and the 92 show was pretty underwhelming. The highlight was Maggie's Farm, a pretty frantic Cumberland-esque take on the tune. Maybe they chose this show because it has Dark Star in it, but it didn't do much for me. I know there were better 92 shows. Real head scratcher.

The 94 show from Boston Garden, on the other hand, is a bonafide doozy. Starts with a Help>Slip>Frank. Tom Thumb. Best version of So Many Roads ever. Another Promised Land? The best one in the whole box set (and there are a lot of them). Garcia's backing vocals make it shine. Then an incredible set 2, with a 16 minute Fire, that features some excellent guitar sounds from Garcia, including a midi-flute before he modulates to more traditional tones. But what's the deal with Weir's tone? Maybe it was to counterbalance Garcia's preference for acoustic sounds with Lightning Bolt, but Weir's guitar is just making skronks and blurgs. Not much resembling chords going on here. I guess it works as a whole, but makes me wonder if it could've been better had he played the guitar like it was a guitar. The other thing that jumps out about this show are Vince's contributions. I was very familiar with his yelping vocal style, but he adds some nice falsetto harmonies on Saint and Terrapin. And some cool, cosmic, new age keyboard sounds at appropriate times. They would be cheezy in other contexts, but seem to work here. An excellent Stella Blue with Garcia pouring his heart into it. One of the best shows of the bunch. Seriously.

I was at this show, too, and remember it being a good one. The only show I got to attend with my youngest brother, who was at B.C. at the time. This was the show I (briefly) met Owsley at (backstage area, a buddy we met up with who worked at Rykodisc let me use his backstage pass at half time). Gotta dig this show out some time soon....

You buy any of Bear's belt buckle's?

I wish, though back then $300-400 would've seemed waaaay too steep to me.

Speaking of Bear - just started the below - so far, it's far out, man.

51CYNK2RnBL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've heard good things about this one. might need to pick it up, though have a stack of books I've yet to get through....

Good book. Different writing style not crazy about, but it does seem to be more than just a rehash of other books that cover the history of psychedelics in America, with a focus on the Dead, associated bands, and various hippies.

I also was at this show. Not a great run, but this was the gem.

No doubt! 

Another excellent 90s one to listen to is , gasp, from 1995! This, I submit, is the last great Scarlet-> Fire: Seattle 5.26.95:

That Fire from Seattle is real good. Garcia's playing and tone at times sounds kinda off or deranged, not his typical style of soloing. And a lot of weird stuff coming from the rest of the band. Fire was a solid tune til the end, due to it being loose and mid-tempo. 

No doubt! 

I'll have to dig into this, I've never heard it. I have maybe 6-7 '95 shows on tape/cd. All of it (minus Deer Creek) from the Spring. By and large I get pretty down when I listen to that year. The ballads are good, Drums/Space is almost always good, but the jams...I can get  pretty sad when it comes to jamming. Those in-ear monitors really changed things for the worse imo.

Yeah - after seeing them in 94, I was going to skip them when they came through Chicago in 95. A friend had an extra for the 2nd night in Chicago, so I went.

Listening to the Seattle show now - a six song first set, I think we were calling that a 'six pack first set' back then.

Definitely a nice Fire.

Listening to the Seattle show now - a six song first set, I think we were calling that a 'six pack first set' back then.

Pet peeve - first sets that can squeeze on one side of a cassette. I have some of those. 

When the set break is longer than the first set... :ohwell