LOM is great! I think the best is the Keystone Berkeley Era band of '73. But that year is the best GD to my ears as well. And O&ITW!

'73 is just incredible.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the trainwrecks angle. Read an interview with Jerry where he discussed the music being better when they weren't synching up, it was more of a battle. Wasn't as good when it was effortless. The conflict made it interesting.

Well, I think it's silly. Sorry if you disagree, not meant to be a personal attack, don't take it that way. I'm sure there are plenty of opinions people hold about all sorts of things you find to be silly too. Have you heard what some people think about this guy called Jesus? Or Donald Trump?

So now you are making assumptions about what I think or don't think and you don't even know me or haven't even met me?  What the fuck, dude?  Just because you make judgements about other people's differing opinions doesn't mean that I do.

I don't agree with you that Jerry was the main attraction in the Dead but I don't think your opinion is silly.  Apparently you do think its silly if someone disagrees with you on this point about Jerry.

I'm not taking it as a personal attack on me, I'm just noting that its unpleasant to have a discussion with someone who feels the need to invalidate the opinions of others that he doesn't agree with.  You could easily just state your opinion about Jerry being the main attraction without making judgements about dissenting opinions.

I like the Dead best when it sounds like they're playing a well -rehearsed piece. I was amazed when I discovered that not every China>Rider sounds like Europe '72. Why not play it that way every time? It's just exactly perfect! :lol

So now you are making assumptions about what I think or don't think and you don't even know me or haven't even met me?  What the fuck, dude?  Just because you make judgements about other people's differing opinions doesn't mean that I do.

I don't agree with you that Jerry was the main attraction in the Dead but I don't think your opinion is silly.  Apparently you do think its silly if someone disagrees with you on this point about Jerry.

I'm not taking it as a personal attack on me, I'm just noting that its unpleasant to have a discussion with someone who feels the need to invalidate the opinions of others that he doesn't agree with.  You could easily just state your opinion about Jerry being the main attraction without making judgements about dissenting opinions.

Dude, I don't know what to tell you. Just kind of a lighthearted discussion, and you seem really upset. Feel like I'm getting dragged into some kind of bigger issue you have. I'd suggest you just ignore me in the future if it's that upsetting to you. 

http://www.jambands.com/news/2016/04/08/bob-weir-says-he-s-open-to-recording-dead-company-album/

Weir and Mayer open to recording Dead and Co album. That would be interesting.  I wish Furthur had done that or at least put out a curated live set with all their originals.  I hate when that 'new' stuff just gets left in the dust.  Kind of like then Other Ones songs or the unrecorded Ratdog originals.  Would love a tight studio take on Money for Gasoline...for example.  I know lots of Heads aren't into the studio output, but i think it has its place.

Hope Weir finishes up his "Cowboy" album first. Seems like there are a lot of projects he, and the other members, never get around to finishing

I'll be on piss break for that one....

Dude, I don't know what to tell you. Just kind of a lighthearted discussion, and you seem really upset. Feel like I'm getting dragged into some kind of bigger issue you have. I'd suggest you just ignore me in the future if it's that upsetting to you. 

Its pretty simple.  I'm asking you to be polite and respectful to this community and not call the opinions of others silly. Is that too much to ask?

Its pretty simple.  I'm asking you to be polite and respectful to this community and not call the opinions of others silly. Is that too much to ask?

I will direct your attention to the Black Crowes thread where you indicated other people's opinions were silly, in not so many words. Issues.

^peace folks!

A heavily orchestated Terrapin (I think that they play even the lady with a fan part, though have no time to check now) from  ‘Day of the Dead’, here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPdoWp-PHFU&feature=youtu.be

Anyone who has the audacity to tackle this piece with this much style and grace is alright in my book. The production could be a bit 'drier'. But one could say that about the original as well!  :yes

One can only imagine how much fun it was to jam the section after "the whistle is screaming" with these guys. It's really one of the most grand (or grandiose LOL) pieces they ever came up with. When I think about the very best moments of my touring career (80s) I think of Playin, Bird Song, and Terrapin most of all.

Looks like they have been discounting and selling off the remaining stock of the Europe '72 shows. I could not resist picking up the 2 I didn't already have board recordings of, 5/24 & 4/11. I guess pretty much all those shows are excellent. Get 'em while they're still available: dead.net.

Listened to the 2nd set of 4/14/88 a few times over the weekend. I was at this show, my 3rd. Got down to the 10th row for the first set, then floated around the hall for the second set. For the life of me, I can recall nothing of the second set which is a shame because its pretty damn good. Estimated-->Eyes is solid and Bobby emulating Buddy Holly during NFA is a hoot. I do recall getting back to the car in the lot afterwards. I was ready to settle down, have a beer and enjoy the lot scene but my roommate, who drove us from DeKalb, couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. He later admitted the entire scene scared him! Heh. And now he's a Chicago cop.

I've recently been going through all the Europe 72 shows. Due to how outstanding they all are, and similarities in the setlists, they all kind of blend together. A lot of big jams standout, like the Cautions, but what really caught my attention was the Lovelight from the Hundred Year Hall show. Forget how they could take a R&B tune like that and turn it into a psychedelic barnburner. Don't think I ever caught the Cumberland tease they drop into before. Would've been amazing to witness something like that in person.

I was reading the chapter about the Pittsburgh show in that So Many Roads book. I remember when that went down. Whenever there was a GD show in Pittsburgh, you would often see deadheads suddenly appear where I live hanging around on the streets.(about an hour away from Pittsburgh). The tone of the So Many Roads book reminds me somewhat of the Keith Moon book by Tony Fletcher. 

Dave's Picks Volume 18 Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco, CA 7/17/1976

• 2 weeks later...