• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the world really need a best of live Grateful Dead set?

Eh - I don't know - maybe a younger or newer older fan will enjoy it. 

I'll wait for my library system to get it and give it listen. I do like a good curated live anthology. Hopefully this will be one. 

I did get the 30 Days compilation - I don't listen to it too much, though. I don't think if flows real well and the sound of each song varies too much.  

I did get the 30 Days compilation - I don't listen to it too much, though. I don't think if flows real well and the sound of each song varies too much.  

Spotify has all these. Great to just pick a spot and click play. I don't mind the lack of "flow" and actually enjoy the randomness factor and trying to guess eras, years, dates, shows with each tune before looking.

Yeah - I have Spotify, but I still like listening to them on CD at least for the 1st time. 

Regarding randomness - I guess that is why I not a big fan of the 30 Trips comp test, since it goes year to year. It is nice that the each of the 4 cds are broken up into various decades, for the most part.

CD 3 (81-88) and CD 4 (89-95)

Yeah - I have Spotify, but I still like listening to them on CD at least for the 1st time. 

Regarding randomness - I guess that is why I not a big fan of the 30 Trips comp test, since it goes year to year. It is nice that the each of the 4 cds are broken up into various decades, for the most part.

CD 3 (81-88) and CD 4 (89-95)

Felt like 30 Trips is about as good of a compilation of the Dead as you're gonna get in 4 discs. Liked it a lot more than the So Many Roads box set, which was a bit all over the place. Some issues with sound quality variation throughout for sure though. And not something I'll listen to very often, except for possibly disc 2.

I just bit the bullet and snagged tix to see Dead & Co LLP at Alpine Valley. This will be my debut with them. 

$45 for lawn tickets wasn't too bad...

Not a bad price, but i still reported you for making a Dead & Co reference.

The only time I've been to Alpine was for GD in '88 for 4 days.That hill on the lawn is steep as hell.

Ha - I remember you!

Wait, no I don't. I hardly remember anything about that 4 day stretch, other than tripping balls and being freaked out that some dude was talking backwards, yet I could still understand him. 

The lawn is a lawless area...I got very lost on that lawn many times...

In terms of the music being free, I meant the whole Garcia et al taping policy. I agree with you about spotify / rhapsody / apple music. For almost every other band I try to purchase the whole album if I like more than one song.

I just bit the bullet and snagged tix to see Dead & Co LLP at Alpine Valley. This will be my debut with them. 

$45 for lawn tickets wasn't too bad...

I tried on Monday and only Lawn tickets were popping up - gonna wait until Friday and see if i can find pavilion seats. 

If I do pull pavilion seats probably will back down when I see the total price and settle for lawn.

I tried on Monday and only Lawn tickets were popping up - gonna wait until Friday and see if i can find pavilion seats. 

If I do pull pavilion seats probably will back down when I see the total price and settle for lawn.

I just wanted to make sure I had something in hand, but I'm doing the same as you. I'm going to try for seats on Friday.

I strongly suspect that I sat near Ken Kesey on Apine's lawn in '87. Man, did people walking up and down the hill love this big, brawny, bald guy once they spotted him. I couldn't figure it out but I hardly knew anything back in 87. Hhhmmm....

The only time I've been to Alpine was for GD in '88 for 4 days.That hill on the lawn is steep as hell.

Yeah, and it goes on FOREVER. Once at the height of the MegaDead Era I left our place on the lawn the second the last note of the first set was played, just to go the the restroom and I literally didn't return back until China Cat was starting. And all I did was go straight to the head and then straight back. I'll never forget that.

I saw 15 GD shows there from '85-'89. My only regret is not going there for the previous 5 years.

I strongly suspect that I sat near Ken Kesey on Apine's lawn in '87. Man, did people walking up and down the hill love this big, brawny, bald guy once they spotted him. I couldn't figure it out but I hardly knew anything back in 87. Hhhmmm....

I spotted Kevin McHale on the lawn in '87. Wasn't that hard to pick him out - he was a good head taller than anyone else out there lol.

Felt like 30 Trips is about as good of a compilation of the Dead as you're gonna get in 4 discs. Liked it a lot more than the So Many Roads box set, which was a bit all over the place. Some issues with sound quality variation throughout for sure though. And not something I'll listen to very often, except for possibly disc 2.

anyone ever try their own Greatest Live Grateful Dead comp, going for the creme de la creme or whatever you think makes stuff great?  Its pretty damn hard to narrow it down to a reasonable time especially since its hard to edit out hot stuff from long second sets.

anyone ever try their own Greatest Live Grateful Dead comp, going for the creme de la creme or whatever you think makes stuff great?  Its pretty damn hard to narrow it down to a reasonable time especially since its hard to edit out hot stuff from long second sets.

I made a 12 cd set that is pretty righteous. Feel free to download: http://walklikeagiant.blogspot.com/2015/01/

I spotted Kevin McHale on the lawn in '87. Wasn't that hard to pick him out - he was a good head taller than anyone else out there lol.

Imagine all the bad trips caused by seeing Kevin McHale's armpit hair. Frightening!

I made a 12 cd set that is pretty righteous. Feel free to download: http://walklikeagiant.blogspot.com/2015/01/

Impressive work, jw.  I will peruse more deeply as time allows.

I made a friend an "introductory" sampler of Dead music and it ended up being 10 discs.  He's a diehard now!  Seems like these fan-made comps are at least 8 CDs to even try to come close to the target.

It was rare that my group and I would make through a whole show on the lawn without getting split up. I never had tix in the pavillion.

What was worse was after the show trying to find my tent...that took hours...

Yeah, and it goes on FOREVER. Once at the height of the MegaDead Era I left our place on the lawn the second the last note of the first set was played, just to go the the restroom and I literally didn't return back until China Cat was starting. And all I did was go straight to the head and then straight back. I'll never forget that.

I saw 15 GD shows there from '85-'89. My only regret is not going there for the previous 5 years.

Not a bad price, but i still reported you for making a Dead & Co reference.

This admin laughed out loud when looking through the reports.