Caught Dead and Company twice last week in Boston.

Here's my .02 from Last Sunday Night

Dead and Company - Boston N - 2

Good Show Balanced setlist between Radio Classics from back in the 60s & 70s to deeper cuts.

I need a Miracle Everyday was one of those GD AOR hits off Shakedown Street in the 70s that got huge reception.

Dire Wolf one of Jerry's best songs imho, it was one of the deeper cuts and Mayer did a decent job covering it, and it was warmly received. Other standouts were Playing in the Band, Morning Dew and a singalong & energetic Casey Jones.

Thankful that I saw the real deal of the original GD . But also thankful ive seem every incarnation since. Never have I had a bad night.

This group has talent,gas in the tank,and plenty to drive it with. Here's hoping there are many more miles to go.Oteil is playing well and sings more than before, doing both well. Bob Weir is looking healthy again, and bringing renewed energy. I will continue to go along to their shows, and enjoy the ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught the Austin Saturday webcast - beside a Minglewood clunker, I thought the show was solid. Esp. the 2nd set. 1st set had Oteil singing If I Had the World to Give - which was nice to hear. 

• Set 2
  • China Cat Sunflower  
  • I Know You Rider  
  • Dark Star  
  • The Other One  
  • Drums  
  • Space  
  • Uncle John's Band  
  • St. Stephen  
  • Morning Dew  
  • ENCORE
  • One More Saturday Night

Caught the Austin Saturday webcast - beside a Minglewood clunker, I thought the show was solid. Esp. the 2nd set. 1st set had Oteil singing If I Had the World to Give - which was nice to hear.

• Set 2
  • China Cat Sunflower
  • I Know You Rider
  • Dark Star
  • The Other One
  • Drums
  • Space
  • Uncle John's Band
  • St. Stephen
  • Morning Dew
  • ENCORE
  • One More Saturday Night

Wish I would’ve caught a set list like that!

Tonight I'm going to watch the documentary of the concert the Grateful Dead (smartly) backed out of, 48 years ago today.

Who's fighting and what for?!

Always enjoyed the footage from Muscle Shoals -- wish they would have made a whole documentary of those sessions. Stones hanging in Alabama in 1969 - what a concept.

I didn't realize the sessions were so close to the Altamont dates. From hanging in Alabama (and two days later) to Altamont - only in America.

The Rolling Stones went to Alabama in December 1969 and recorded three songs that evoked the country, blues and R&B sound of the region. Over three days -- from Dec. 2-4 -- the Stones put down the basic tracks and live vocals on "Brown Sugar," "Wild Horses" and "You Gotta Move" at Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Sheffield, Ala.

Listening to 12/6/73 tonight 

It is pretty cool that Bobby is able to keep a toe in each pond. Definitely will try for Chicago show.

https://www.relix.com/news/detail/bob_weir_and_phil_lesh_announce_first_ever_duo_tour_in_2018

I think I know exactly how that conversation went.

Bobby: Hey man, why don't you and me go out and do a few shows?

Phil: You mean just the two of us?

Bobby: Yeah, like I did with Wasserman back in the 80s.

Phil: You know I don't travel much anymore. Where would these be?

Bobby: Well, I wanna be able to do Truckin' again, so maybe hit those towns that get the big shoutout...

Phil: Remind me again?

Bobby: "Chicago, New York..."

Phil: "Detroit?"

Bobby: Well, okay not Detroit. How about a couple in Boston?

Ha!

I was hoping that tickets were not going to be too pricey. 

$79.50 - $159.50 for the Chicago shows - that is a bit of a bummer.

Listening to 12/12/80 show this a.m. - don't think I ever listened to this one before - pretty hot show.

Ha!

I was hoping that tickets were not going to be too pricey. 

$79.50 - $159.50 for the Chicago shows - that is a bit of a bummer.

Listening to 12/12/80 show this a.m. - don't think I ever listened to this one before - pretty hot show.

Catch a "There is a Mountain" (Donovan) tease in "China Cat"?

C'mon, we all know Bob would have messed up the lyrics to Truckin, even in that brief conversation.

Heh heh. I haven't had time to work on my fiction this week, but I guess I was in the mood to write some funny dialogue. Seemed like a no-brainer.               

Catch a "There is a Mountain" (Donovan) tease in "China Cat"?

Didn't know they continued to tease that song outside of the 60's. First tease occurred about a month after Donovan released the song, at the Hollywood Bowl in 1967, I believe. That tease predates Herbie Mann's instrumental cover and of course the Allman's version as well.

Not familiar enough to that Donovan tune - so I didn't catch it - need to re-listen.

Now onto 12/13/80 -- another good one - looks like I need to revisit 12/80, seems like they were playing well. 

Didn't know they continued to tease that song outside of the 60's. First tease occurred about a month after Donovan released the song, at the Hollywood Bowl in 1967, I believe. That tease predates Herbie Mann's instrumental cover and of course the Allman's version as well.

Yeah, very brief compared to the early versions. Try at about 5:47 of the China Cat....:

https://archive.org/details/gd1980-12-12.fob.glassberg.motb.89134.sbeok.flac16/gd1980-12-12.motb.0059.d2t02.flac