"Ode To Joy" Reactions

Just finished my first listen. I immediately know this is one that's going to take awhile to digest because of what's going on...which is exciting because the last few albums didn't hit me that way. I liked them almost immediately. This is giving me more AGIB vibes with the mood and the sounds that are going on. It's a weird place to be in where like...I'm disappointed i didn't connect to it straight away, but psyched that my favorite albums never get me on the first listen. So I'm hoping it's going to take that turn with a few more.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial reaction is slight disappointment. That said, the songs, with a few exceptions, are sort of hard to digest, which often, in time, results in me liking an album. So I really can't say at this point, other than being underwhelmed at the outset (two listens). "Love is Everywhere" is fantastic but many of the songs just feel dull to me. I'm hoping this changes.

I would also disagree with the sentiment that it sounds like Warm(er). Except for maybe An Empty Corner. Which is the last song, so I guess I can understand how that impression might get stuck with people.

Had the same thought. The first and last songs were more understated and mellow than the album as a whole, which might be why the Schmilco-esque Warm-esque impressions are being over-weighted in a lot of people's reactions.  Just a theory.

I'm going to clumsily try to express something I love about this album that I've missed in many of Wilco's most recent albums...

The first four songs to me seem like a cohesive whole.  I felt the same way - and it's hard to describe why - about the first 4 songs on YHF and the first 3 songs on AGIB...something about the songs picking up directly where the last one left off that I've loved and missed on the albums since.

Actually, I've loved most of the albums since and didn't realize I was missing that sensation until this one brought that feeling back.

I don't think this album will be making them any new fans, seems like the type of album only a fan of the band would like.

This may be true for all music now.  It seems to me "new fans" rarely come from albums anymore.  But new fans may come from hearing Everyone Hides, or whatever other individual songs they push.   Albums, as a general rule these days, are for people who are already fans, especially with older acts like Wilco.

I agree though with your bigger point.  This is definitely not an album for the masses.

Well, as feared, I got home and my vinyl copy was warped into the shape of a topo map of the Andes.  Totally destroyed.  Kung Fu has a useless return policy, and trying to get recourse from US Postal Service is a non-starter. 

So I guess Wilco will be getting a double sale from me this time out.  I better win that guitar.

At least there's Spotify to hold me over until I can get to the record store. 

i don't get the concept of a mail order place not accepting defective returns?

i don't get the concept of a mail order place not accepting defective returns?

I looked over their return policy.  It says open items are non-returnable.  I only knew it was warped because I opened it so I could listen to it.

All returns are at the expense of the buyer.

The warping, it could be argued, is the fault of USPS (since they delivered it in the morning rather than in late afternoon like they do every other day).  Or even my own fault for ordering a record in summertime knowing where it'd be left.  (Although I know from being an Amazon seller that a delivery is the seller's responsibility until the buyer has the item in their hands and is 100% satisfied, so that argument works in my favor.) 

In any case, I see a lot of ways for Kung Fu to refuse my return, and their own paperwork makes it look like they are very unaccommodating.

Their papers don't include a phone number of email address, unless I overlooked it, but if I can contact them, I'll hit them up for a new copy. 

It's interesting, as always, to contextualize the singles in a larger track list. Sequencing is one thing that Jeff is especially good at. I've always liked "Everyone Hides" but could understand some complaints that it feels a little light. That lightness bounces right out of the speakers after the heavy first 3rd of the album. It's like something shiny comes out of a dust storm. Great contrast.

Love is Everywhere also takes on some added life hearing it situated in the tracklist. 

The other thing I'm enjoying about it is there was a time years ago when I was discovering some of their great B-sides. Songs like 'More Like the Moon', 'Panthers', or 'The High Heat' felt like an image of the band that I wanted to explore more. Away from the bombast of an acclaimed rock band on a big stage, they sound more like an art-folk ensemble winding sounds in a carpeted room around some emotionally direct songs. That's where this album lands to me for the most part. 

Now that you've said this I cannot but hear "This is New" every time I listen to "Before Us". Good call!

I looked over their return policy.  It says open items are non-returnable.  I only knew it was warped because I opened it so I could listen to it.

All returns are at the expense of the buyer.

The warping, it could be argued, is the fault of USPS (since they delivered it in the morning rather than in late afternoon like they do every other day).  Or even my own fault for ordering a record in summertime knowing where it'd be left.  (Although I know from being an Amazon seller that a delivery is the seller's responsibility until the buyer has the item in their hands and is 100% satisfied, so that argument works in my favor.) 

In any case, I see a lot of ways for Kung Fu to refuse my return, and their own paperwork makes it look like they are very unaccommodating.

Their papers don't include a phone number of email address, unless I overlooked it, but if I can contact them, I'll hit them up for a new copy. 

Quite a few of us got warped copies of the orange Schmilco and we got them replaced or got black copies, myself included. The only way we found out was because we opened and played it. They'll need a picture and in some cases they need to see a destroyed copy. At least that was the case then. Give it a try.

It's interesting, as always, to contextualize the singles in a larger track list. Sequencing is one thing that Jeff is especially good at. I've always liked "Everyone Hides" but could understand some complaints that it feels a little light. That lightness bounces right out of the speakers after the heavy first 3rd of the album. It's like something shiny comes out of a dust storm. Great contrast.

Love is Everywhere also takes on some added life hearing it situated in the tracklist. 

Agreed. Kind of like how "War on War" jumps in after "Radio Cure". 

Quite a few of us got warped copies of the orange Schmilco and we got them replaced or got black copies, myself included. The only way we found out was because we opened and played it. They'll need a picture and in some cases they need to see a destroyed copy. At least that was the case then. Give it a try.

That's good to hear.  This thing is W-A-R-P-E-D.   I have video of it spinning on my turntable, and I sent them an email. 

My thoughts on Ode To Joy:

In my six years as a teacher, one thing I have to remind myself is to have a growth mindset instead of a fixed mindset. Fixed mindset is believing that qualities are fixed traits and therefore cannot change. These people document their intelligence and talents rather than working to develop and improve them. They also believe that talent alone leads to success, and effort is not required. In a growth mindset , people have an underlying belief that their learning and intelligence can grow with time and experience. When people believe they can become better, they realize that their effort has an effect on their success, so they put in extra time, leading to higher achievement.

I feel a similar way when it comes to experiencing art, especially music. If I go in expecting something or wanting it to sound a specific way, I am displaying a fixed mindset. It is like I am already setting myself up for disappointment without even hearing a note of the music. With each album by my favorite artists, I always make it a point to not judge them based on past albums. Generally, my favorite artists are the ones that change or evolve (Wilco, Gorillaz, My Morning Jacket, The Beatles, Jack White) but I do have some favorites whose sound hasn’t changed much (Fountains of Wayne, Creedence Clearwater Revival).

Ode To Joy is an absolutely stunning album. The only comparison I will make to another Wilco album is that much like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot’s theme was described as being about America circa 2000-2001, Ode To Joy’s theme is America in 2018-2019. Jeff has stated that no one needs another Wilco album. I cannot disagree more. This is the album that is needed during this turbulent time in America. These last few years have been rough on many people because of the political climate we live in. Somehow there is hope that things will get better. Many of the lyrics and vocals sound so achingly weary, whether it is describing an argument from a long-time committed couple in “Bright Leaves,” or locking oneself away in their room (depression? Love of naps?) not being able to escape their domain in “One and a Half Stars.” The repeated line of “White lies,” pretty much sums up our president and how he lies about pretty much everything, including the smallest, pettiest things. “I wish your world was mine,” from “Quiet Amplifier,” can take on many meanings to many different people, but on October 4, 2019, to me that means wishing you could feel joy like other people while there is a constant, increasing barrage of negatively surrounding them.

But there is hope. Realizing that love is everywhere is a really hopeful sentiment even if you have to look out for ones who may exploit that love. “Hold Me Anyway” is a perfect example of feeling world-weary but still remaining hopeful. There’s so much truth in people not giving a damn with what is going on in the world and personally freaking the fuck out at what’s been going on AND people not giving a damn. Constantly freaking the fuck out is exhausting. But we still love, and goddamnit if it’s not poetry and magic. Even when we get it right, love is still tragic because as the next line states, even if you’ve been in love with someone for years, people will die. That can be a very constant fear. How can we cope with that fear? Luckily the last song on Ode To Joy answers that question.

In the vast catalogue that Wilco has, there hasn’t been a line that packs more of a hopeful punch than “You’ve got family out there.” As a person who has major depression, anxiety, and panic disorder, there is something extremely comforting hearing those words amidst the muted chaos in the music. I know I cannot be alone with these thoughts. In the darkest moments in my life, thinking about and being with my family can help pull me out of the abyss. This idea of family doesn’t just mean parents, siblings or blood relatives. I am a firm believer of that you can absolutely choose your own family.

I’ve tried to describe the music as it fits in with the lyrics and themes of Ode To Joy. This is a beautifully layered album. There is a lot going on when you pay attention, and you can further hear it when listening on a good sound system and/or a good set of headphones. As many reviews that have pointed out, Glen is all over this album. Jim O’Rourke best described Glen as not a drummer, but a “musician who happens to play the drums.” I do not think you can say there was a drumming performance on this album, but a percussion performance. Yes, the percussion is booming in the many parts of the album, but there are small, but noticeable percussion happening throughout the album. For instance, on “Before Us” I can hear something along the lines of sleigh bells. On “Citizens” there are sounds of bells or chimes similar to those on “Ashes of American Flags.” In the verse “If your selling yourself on a vision/a dream of who you are,” there is a little added oomph on the snare drums. “Hold Me Anyway” there is so much going on with the percussion that I cannot effectively describe what they sound like (I’m a math teacher, so words aren’t my forte). What I can confidently say, is that there’s barely any cymbals on the album.

This is not to say other instruments do not shine. Nels himself says that he really enjoys playing more nuanced parts with Wilco. He is all over this album, whether it is the triple-harmonic solo in “Hold Me Anyway,” or setting the atmosphere on “Bright Leaves” and “An Empty Corner.” The piano flourishes are beautiful as well, especially on “White Wooden Cross” and “An Empty Corner.” John’s bass lines are, as always, great to listen to and fits each song perfectly. Musically, this album is very cohesive in setting an overall theme. It does not beat you over the head with what is going on and I think it is intended for you to listen intently. Ode To Joy may initially sound minimalistic, but it is just so much more. This is a gorgeous album by a band who continues to make thought-provoking, evocative music.

It's a disappointing album. Boring would be my one word description. I get that I've been with the band since 1995, but why would anyone listen to this beyond a few listens instead of putting on Ghost, Yankee, BT or AM?? It's Jeff's worst vocal performance. There are very very few melodies and choruses which are always appreciated in my book (I love Warm and Warmer and they didn't have much in that regard either, but it is more missing here in a full band context.)

It's basically On Fillmore + Jeff Tweedy featuring 2 appearances by guitar virtuoso Nels Cline and textures by Mikael Jorgensen. No wonder Pat is pissed.

Who said Pat is pissed?

Quotes from aftershow threads:

A couple of people have pointed out to me how Pat doesn’t seem to be smiling very much on stage of late, in general, and I hope that doesn’t hint at anything being amiss.

No eye contact with the rest of the band even during the 3 guitar thing at the end of IG. He was mopping over his keyboards in what appeared to be a half-hearted way most of the time.

Agree that Pat looked a bit disconnected/bored early on

Quotes from aftershow threads:

A couple of people have pointed out to me how Pat doesn’t seem to be smiling very much on stage of late, in general, and I hope that doesn’t hint at anything being amiss.

No eye contact with the rest of the band even during the 3 guitar thing at the end of IG. He was mopping over his keyboards in what appeared to be a half-hearted way most of the time.

Agree that Pat looked a bit disconnected/bored early on

i had the good luck to sit front row for 2 shows on the schmilco tour, 1 in the middle, 1 directly in front of Pat. i don't think he was disconnected/bored but i suppose it could look that way. i think he was baked! easier to do than most places in seattle. his playing was superb regardless.

Subjectivity in art and music etc etc. But reading the different reactions makes me feel like I'm hearing a different album from some folks. I wonder if it's a 'thing of this type' situation. Like are people who aren't enjoying this fans of  super introverted-era Yo La Tengo, or the darker Bonnie Prince Billie/Palace Brothers stuff? Because if you were looking for a crackling rock and roll record, then I guess I can understand why you're bummed out. To me there's a lot to interact with and appreciate going on in there so it's hard to relate to people being dismissive.