Solid Sound Festival 2024 lineup

I was not planning on going but that's a pretty compelling line up. A lot of artists with genuine AOTY contenders... Joanna Sternberg, Wednesday, Ratboys. Isbell will be a crowd pleaser for sure. 

6 hours ago, Boss_Tweedy said:

Wow! Wednesday and Ratboys were two of the three bands on my wishlist. This is a fantastic lineup!

Same here! What was your third?

3 hours ago, TCP said:

I was not planning on going but that's a pretty compelling line up. A lot of artists with genuine AOTY contenders... Joanna Sternberg, Wednesday, Ratboys. Isbell will be a crowd pleaser for sure. 

Same here! What was your third?

The Decemberists. I can't remember but I may also expressed hope for a fourth band, Sweeping Promises. Regardless I'm extremely excited about this lineup!

Will be my first SSF and while I am honestly fairly underwhelmed by the lineup (was hoping for someone I liked a little more than Isbell for the main non-Wilco act), I am excited to dig into some of these other bands.  Have already listened to some Fenne Lily, Hailu Mergia, Ratboys and Mary Halvorsen and really am enjoying those, so hopefully the rest of my exploring will be as fruitful!  

6 hours ago, Madcap said:

Will be my first SSF and while I am honestly fairly underwhelmed by the lineup (was hoping for someone I liked a little more than Isbell for the main non-Wilco act), I am excited to dig into some of these other bands.  Have already listened to some Fenne Lily, Hailu Mergia, Ratboys and Mary Halvorsen and really am enjoying those, so hopefully the rest of my exploring will be as fruitful!  

I'm not a huge fan of Jason Isbell, but his live shows are excellent. Another of the young bands you should check out is Wednesday. They're my favorite musical discovery of 2023. Here's a great 30-minute documentary on the band that was released not long ago. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Madcap said:

Having gone since 2013, I think this is the lineup announcement that had the fewest artists that I readily knew well.

That being said, this week has been incredibly fruitful in new listening. The band remain excellent curators and the lineup feels really eclectic. While I'm sure others might feel differently about a festival lineup/an event they attend, I've taken the approach of looking at the lineup as the live version of the band's year-end recommendations. I don't think there's ever been an artist where I was underwhelmed or disappointed with on the day. 

I think it'll be a good first Solid Sound. So much of what makes the festival special is the vibe itself. Plus, we ultimately get two Wilco shows at the best museum. Far as I'm concerned, I already made out like a bandit. 

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 9:24 PM, lost highway said:

Don't sleep on Horsegirl either folks. That was one of the more exciting 2022 discoveries for me. Like that hip Alvvays band if they were scrappier, kind of the punk tinged side of Sonic Youth mingling with the shoegaze elements.

Seconded. They really impressed me opening the Port Chester shows.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, the3penguins said:

Have they revealed what the Friday special set theme will be yet?

Not yet, no. 

Did seem interesting that they chose a Mermaid Avenue song to throw onto this year's festival playlist before one of the new album cuts.image.png

49 minutes ago, summerdai said:

All covers set of Taylor Swift songs ;)

Honestly that would probably be pretty great! Though that Mermaid Avenue possibility has be intrigued as hell. Do they still have beef with Bragg or has that blown over with time? Be cool to get him out for a Mermaid Ave set.

2 minutes ago, the3penguins said:

Honestly that would probably be pretty great! Though that Mermaid Avenue possibility has be intrigued as hell. Do they still have beef with Bragg or has that blown over with time? Be cool to get him out for a Mermaid Ave set.

He has UK dates in June and July, unlikely he would come over only for one guest appearance 

On 2/20/2024 at 12:19 PM, the3penguins said:

when both artists played Newport Folk a few years ago, Billy joined for "California Stars"

p3692497205-5.jpg

Edited by tinnitus photography
added photo
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

This is off-topic a bit but in organizing my old ssf souvenirs, I've discovered I have an extra little Solid Sound #6 schedule booklet from 2019. I don't need this extra so if somebody out there needs a ssf souvenir from 2019, just ask! :thumbup

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, tinnitus photography said:

they kinda did this when the Alpha Mike Foxtrot box came out

At Solid Sound? AMF came out in 2014 so would that have been SS13 or SS15?