What gear are you using

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gear?

1962 Gibson Acoustic-Electric P90 Pick-ups. Capo, Tuner, Logitech Microphone. That's it. And i still write better songs than all you'all with "GEAR".

I like that cockiness!

I really hope the eventually tell us where we can post our own stuff on here, because I'd love to have some informal songwriting contests just amongst us SST type punks... Well that's actually my most-ambitious concept. I would just like to be able to say, "this is my newest song, what do you guys think? Are the vocals too compressed? Does it need a banjo part?" etc. But I don't want to flood SST with that stuff, because I write a lot of songs. Like, a whole lot.

Talyor 110 with a LR Baggs M1 active installed

I play part time in a cover / jam band with some co-workers, but use my gear mostly for home recordings.

Welcome aboard, Carlo!

I've gone ahead and installed LR Baggs M1As into both of my Breedloves, and into my Gretsch Rancher Jumbo. What a phenomenal-sounding pickup. Got a board recording from a show I played this week at Rockwood Music Hall in NYC and couldn't believe how rich the guitar sounded. Happy as a clam with that pickup. :yes

• 2 weeks later...

I go the cheap route

Ive got a strat wanna be made by Conn

and an Oscer Schmidt ,by Washburn, Delta Blues hollow body.

I play out of a Crate power block with 2X12 cab ith 2 75w speakers, and an mxr overdrive pedal. I'm getting a Holy Grail and a Rat.

Acoustic I have a Simon Patrick with an LR baggs pu. (it's been played and signed by JT)

anyway...cheap

but I do have my guitars set up by a guy who was on the las U2 tour and was the guitar tech for Gavin Rossdale, and tour manager for the band Helmet during their last couple of tours.

I think they sound alright.

I would love to see us get together on this board to help each other create. It would even be cool to actually create together, with out haveing to get together in real life...

wouldn't that be nice?

I like that cockiness!

I really hope the eventually tell us where we can post our own stuff on here, because I'd love to have some informal songwriting contests just amongst us SST type punks... Well that's actually my most-ambitious concept. I would just like to be able to say, "this is my newest song, what do you guys think? Are the vocals too compressed? Does it need a banjo part?" etc. But I don't want to flood SST with that stuff, because I write a lot of songs. Like, a whole lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I just took some pictures of my gear, hope you guys don't mind me showing them off!!

I store everything in what I call "Le Studio de Kevin". It was my brothers old room, hence the Trailer Park Boys poster, dog-wall paper, and 1980's LA Kings and Calgary Flames wall-flyer things.

This is my new MIDI keyboard I got two days ago, in the mail! I looove it.

n517197978_629019_615.jpg

MacBook with Logic open, and my M-Box II.

n517197978_629021_1239.jpg

My Epiphone Les Paul, Fender Banjo, and my electric bass guitar

n517197978_629022_1540.jpg

It won't let me post the next three... even in a seperate post, even though all 6 pictures are from photobucket.... soo here are some links, you'll have to do some clicking!

My crappy acoustic guitar, that needs to be replaced, but it has served me well

My lap steel, bins with chords, straps, tiny instruments

This is my 12-string acoustic, which is probably my finest guitar... a crappy electric my brother left is behind it, I use it cause it has a tremolo bar... my Fender bass amp is to the right, with my harmonicas, e-bow, tuner, brother's pedal that he left, and of course Bobba Fett & a storm trooper to guard everything.

I would love to see us get together on this board to help each other create. It would even be cool to actually create together, with out haveing to get together in real life...

wouldn't that be nice?

I started a thread on this but it never took off.

hello back,

I've been using it lately with a line6 pod x3 for recording into Sonar 7 producer. I have been happy with the results so far. I record it direct & dry, no amp simulation or effects, just a good signal @ about max -0.6. I then futz around with various plugins.

I just swap my Lakland Skyline Deluxe 44-02 for a Fender MIA Precision bass and I love it. I thought the Lakland stood out too much, the P bass sits in the mix just right.

Welcome aboard, Carlo!

I've gone ahead and installed LR Baggs M1As into both of my Breedloves, and into my Gretsch Rancher Jumbo. What a phenomenal-sounding pickup. Got a board recording from a show I played this week at Rockwood Music Hall in NYC and couldn't believe how rich the guitar sounded. Happy as a clam with that pickup. :yes

I started a thread on this but it never took off.

Do you mind bumping that thread, O-man? I am not sure which one you mean and don't want to presume. I have a few ideas for songwriting games to try out and will float them in your thread if you don't mind.

• 1 month later...

I seem to specialize in low-priced guitars that sound awesome...

Acoustic - Blueridge BR-160

Electric - 2008 Gibson Melody Maker (the new ones, sounds incredible)

? Ibanez Artcore AS-83 (awesome for the price, considering new pick-ups, any recommendations?)

199? Fender Classic 70s Strat MIM (also considering new pick-ups)

197? Silvertone Telecaster

Amps - Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10

- Epiphone Valve Jr.

Pedals - SKB pedal board. Vox Wah - TS9 (Modded) - Danelectro Fab Distortion - Fulltone 69 fuzz - Early 1970s Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter (holy crap) - Boss Tremolo - Line 6 Echo park delay (noise problems).

Use only Whirlwind Leader cables, they NEVER short out.

Use only Whirlwind Leader cables, they NEVER short out.
Never say never, I just had one go to crap on me after only 6 or 7 months, I was pretty pissed / bummed. One of the connector ends got loose and started doing that awesome, loud hum in the middle of songs.
How does the Deville sound? I have a Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues (20w) and love it, but I need something bigger for gigging.

It has some good points and bad points

good- great sound. killer cleans and tons of headroom. works great with pedals. it's relatively cheap. it's been very reliable. reverb sounds great. Excellent gigging amp if you don't mind the weight.

bad-HEAVY, this thing weighs a ton and it's not exactly small. sucks at low volume, when you play at a practice volume, or anything below "3" the highs disappear and it just sounds like poo. the drive channel is a joke, you'll have to use pedals for your drive and distortion because the built-in drive is terrible. you can have it modded, or get a differenttype of tubes but i haven't done so yet. I did put JJ tubes 6v6 in instead of the Groove Tubes (soveteks) and that made this amp sound even better

- Regarding the whirlwind cables. You're right, no cable is indestructable but they have held up better than any other cable I've ever used.

? Ibanez Artcore AS-83 (awesome for the price, considering new pick-ups, any recommendations?)

I'm picking up mine tomorrow with a set of Gibson 57' classics installed. Had a SD Jazz in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge-- the jazz was alright, but the 'gates was way, way too tinny and hot for the bridge. I'd read that many ES-335's came with Dirty Fingers in the bridge, so I figured something a little higher output would put me where I wanted to be. I was wrong.

This is before I knew anything about pickups though. I'd like to think I've come a bit further since then. I'll let you know how it sounds by Thursday.

Never say never, I just had one go to crap on me after only 6 or 7 months, I was pretty pissed / bummed. One of the connector ends got loose and started doing that awesome, loud hum in the middle of songs.

On the advice of a friend, I've started using Monster guitar cables, available at (gasp) guitar center... they have a lifetime warranty and accept the exchange no questions asked, even a few years on... it works out great, especially when playing in another city and a cable starts to act up. Poof! Return it!

On the advice of a friend, I've started using Monster guitar cables, available at (gasp) guitar center... they have a lifetime warranty and accept the exchange no questions asked, even a few years on... it works out great, especially when playing in another city and a cable starts to act up. Poof! Return it!

I've always been happy with George L's.