Wilco 07/04/2001 (Jay's last show)

that guy is making stuff up to fill space in his blog.

I disagree. He's just giving his opinion, which he admits is a bit over-the-top and overly sensitive. He also writes that he hopes others enjoy the show even though it's "ruined" for himself. I've been to the site a few times and the guy puts up some decent stuff.

I have always enjoyed this show and go back to it often. Very good performance. Then again...it's just my opinion.

Edited by Lammycat

This makes me realize I am a fair weather fan....I love the current lineup of Wilco, but dang if listening to this show didn't make me miss Jay and question whether things were better back then.

This makes me realize I am a fair weather fan....I love the current lineup of Wilco, but dang if listening to this show didn't make me miss Jay and question whether things were better back then.

My thoughts exactly--listening now and I'm loving this and recognize that Jay was a great contribution to the band. That said, however, I'm still a huge fan of Wilco post-Jay. Yes, me too, "a fair weather fan." B)

I know I've said this before,but...I love 7/4/01,really good show,imo.But after I heard 7/4/98,well...Jeff & Jay were really bros then & the music ROCKS :rock

Scott

But after I heard 7/4/98,well...Jeff & Jay were really bros then & the music ROCKS :rock

Scott

Why not post it on the "MP3 show exchange" thread? :monkey

I love the current lineup of Wilco, but dang if listening to this show didn't make me miss Jay and question whether things were better back then.

Jay is/was a much better rock keyboard player than anyone in Wilco now. His keyboard lines are hookier and more creative than what Wilco is doing now and while I'm not fond of their overuse on Summerteeth I now miss him, something I never thought I'd say. Not to bash anyone in particular but the keyboard stuff Wilco is doing now makes me snooze.

So yeah, I was going to write more but whatever. You go to war with the Wilco you have, not the Wilco you wish you had.

Just it'd be nice if they put in some actual rockers or give up the argument that the audience should be standing at a rock show because really they won't be. At a rock show. If you have to drag out 10+ year old songs to get the audience excited then maybe you should think about what you're doing now and why it's not connecting the same way.

Jay is/was a much better rock keyboard player than anyone in Wilco now. His keyboard lines are hookier and more creative than what Wilco is doing now and while I'm not fond of their overuse on Summerteeth I now miss him, something I never thought I'd say. Not to bash anyone in particular but the keyboard stuff Wilco is doing now makes me snooze.

Not take anything away from Jay, an odd way to begin a post here but I am doing it nonetheless, but Leroy Bach also was incredibly instrumental in that keyboard sound and in my humble opinion is the best guy Wilco has ever had manning the keyboards. In the late 2001 and early 2002 shows he essentially was playing his and Jay's old parts and every song. I know you're not the biggest fan of the keys but Leroy's playing on She's A Jar, How To Fight Loneliness, When The Roses Bloom Again and countless other tunes is fantastic. I love Nels and Pat but if Jeff ever decides Wilco needs to expand into a seven piece, beg Leroy to come back :D

--Mike

Not take anything away from Jay, an odd way to begin a post here but I am doing it nonetheless, but Leroy Bach also was incredibly instrumental in that keyboard sound and in my humble opinion is the best guy Wilco has ever had manning the keyboards. In the late 2001 and early 2002 shows he essentially was playing his and Jay's old parts and every song. I know you're not the biggest fan of the keys but Leroy's playing on She's A Jar, How To Fight Loneliness, When The Roses Bloom Again and countless other tunes is fantastic. I love Nels and Pat but if Jeff ever decides Wilco needs to expand into a seven piece, beg Leroy to come back :D

--Mike

here here

(hear hear? I don't know. Either way I agree!)

Edited by dontknownuthin

I have to say, give Leroy his props. One of the things that bothered me the most about Jay was how loud his keyboards would be in the mix. Listening to soundboards from the ST days, it's almost enough to make my head explode ... especially on what I think of as "guitar songs," like Always In Love.

In live performances, Jay frequently was to Wilco what Donna was to the Grateful Dead.

Glad you liked that 7/4/98 show, mountain bed. :cheers

I have to say, give Leroy his props. One of the things that bothered me the most about Jay was how loud his keyboards would be in the mix. Listening to soundboards from the ST days, it's almost enough to make my head explode ... especially on what I think of as "guitar songs," like Always In Love.

In live performances, Jay frequently was to Wilco what Donna was to the Grateful Dead.

Yeah in almost all of the 1999/2000 shows whichever instrument Jay is playing sounds about two times louder then everyone else's. Who was running the live sound for Wilco during this era?

--Mike

Edited by mpolak21

I just listened to this again, and I have to say that while Jay is very loud, there is something almost creepy and quite sad about knowing this was his last show.... listening to him play these songs for the last time, knowing he will never play them again, and knowing that he has no idea.

that's a great Dead analogy! Donna could really make or break a show in her day.

that's a great Dead analogy! Donna could really make or break a show in her day.

she always claimed she had a problem finding her voice in the monitor?

I am not as well versed as many on the JB days but I do think he is overplaying on most of the tracks!

One thing I love about the current line-up is every knows there time to shine, and there time to lay back in the cut like i told yer ass!

Leroy was perfect in Wilco. He played everything excellently, and he wasn't trying to get attention.

Don't get me wrong I love Leroy. The best concert I've ever been to was a Leroy concert. But Jay could bring the rock. When a song needed to rock harder than anyone thought possible, Jay was there to rock it.

Compare I'm Always in Love from Jay's last show:

Jay's I'm Always in Love

To the same song in an early Leroy show:

Leroy's I'm Always in Love

Now, admittedly, this was when Wilco was still trying to figure out how to play without Jay and it's not exactly fair to pick an awesome Jay performance and an okay Leroy performance when I could have done the opposite, but I think the typical Leroy performance will not out-rock a Jay performance.

This disparity, though, between Jay's desire to rock and the band's desire to go mild probably lead to a lot of tension in the band. You can totally feel this in the loft rehearsal scene in IATTBYH when they start arguing over "easy rockers".

Forgive my not knowing, but was the 07/04/2001 right after or right before Jay's time was up. Like, was he asked to leave the night before and played that as his last show or was the noted "tension" on stage just setting the tone for what would soon come?

Forgive my not knowing, but was the 07/04/2001 right after or right before Jay's time was up. Like, was he asked to leave the night before and played that as his last show or was the noted "tension" on stage just setting the tone for what would soon come?

I assume you would not tell someone it was there last show until it was over! To much opp. for things to go wrong on stage