Jeff Tweedy:Sunken Treasure DVD

got it, watched half last night

enjoyed it very much - different songs for the most part than he played here in 11/05 (it seems to me a year later at least - I'm not much on remembering setlists)

the unlisted songs hidden in the intros are great - such as "Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down"

It's heavy on ST songs, but it's making me realize that these are good songs when stripped down - maybe it's just the ST production and instrumentation I don't like as much. . .

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I realize there's probably a billion threads already, but I hate jumping into the middle of someone else's party.

I picked up the DVD last night...and boy, was it easier said than done. I strated off at Best Buy. Seemed like a logical choice and it was on the way home. I scoured the shelves...nothing. I asked an employee. She had no idea who Tweedy or Wilco was, nor had she heard of the DVD. I talked to two more employees, (neither of which new the band), who determined that they had 16 copies and they had no idea where they were. That took about 30 minutes. I moved on down the road to Circuit City. Two employees, neither had heard of the band or the DVD. Another 20 minutes wasted. So, I ventured to *gasp* the mall. FYE had one copy, buried in the wrong section. The manager there also did not know who Tweedy or Wilco was, or that the DVD came out.

Is Wilco really that obscure? Or are people who work in chain stores unenlightened tools who wouldn't know quality music from Beyonce's fart?

They're just retail clerks who aren't music experts, and more than likely prefer some other genre of music.

I'm sure I'd have a "huh" look on my face if I were a clerk and anyone asked me about jazz or heavy metal or rap merchandise.

At my Best Buy in Ft. Wayne, there is only 1 clerk who knows about "our" music scene, and he's not always working.

To answer your question...yes, people who work in chain stores and who don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of semi-obscure country rock bands are unenlightened tools who really have no hopes of leading culturally rewarding lives.

The only reason I don't recommend that they all be rounded up and shot is because I consider myself to be an open-minded liberal type.

Yeah, I realize there's probably a billion threads already, but I hate jumping into the middle of someone else's party.

I picked up the DVD last night...and boy, was it easier said than done. I strated off at Best Buy. Seemed like a logical choice and it was on the way home. I scoured the shelves...nothing. I asked an employee. She had no idea who Tweedy or Wilco was, nor had she heard of the DVD. I talked to two more employees, (neither of which new the band), who determined that they had 16 copies and they had no idea where they were. That took about 30 minutes. I moved on down the road to Circuit City. Two employees, neither had heard of the band or the DVD. Another 20 minutes wasted. So, I ventured to *gasp* the mall. FYE had one copy, buried in the wrong section. The manager there also did not know who Tweedy or Wilco was, or that the DVD came out.

Is Wilco really that obscure? Or are people who work in chain stores unenlightened tools who wouldn't know quality music from Beyonce's fart?

Almost every time I go to best buy to buy a new release the same thing happens...it could be maybe I don't like mainstream music? :unsure

By no means do I expect anybody working in a big box store to be an expert on anything but being able to get on a computer or something and tell me if they have something in stock or not.

I define success in those stores as getting someone (anyone) on the staff to help me without rolling their eyes and making me feel like I am somehow bothering them by asking them to do their job.

I say round em all up. But I consider myself as more of a moderate democrat, so that could be why.

Any of those motherfuckers dare roll their eyes at me, I whip out a Jim O' Rourke CD from my back pocket and bludgeon them within an inch of their life with it. then I spray paint 'NELS CLINE: BEST GUITARIST EVER' on their unconscious body and piss all over the 3 Doors Down CDs.

I went through the same thing when the Born To Run dvd came out. Like I have said - I think they really only want to carry stuff that young people/soccer moms/pressed kaki dads are going to buy.

Save an embarrassing trip to the big box stores and buy stuff on the internet where you know you can find it.

LouieB

I pretty much refuse to do that until I have to - and since the place I get stuff from does not really offer very good service anymore - that may happen sooner than later. I hate ordering stuff.

I had the exact opposite experience at my local Best Buy.

I stopped by during lunch on Tuesday and was nosing around the music DVD's. An employee came up to me and asked if he could help. I said a new music DVD just came out today, and he had a sly grin on his face as I said "Sunken Treasure" He said he knew I was going to say that. I said good, that means it must be selling. He replied, "I do not even work in this department and this is the third one I got today." He cruised to the back, took about 15 seconds and returned with my (now 3x watched) DVD.

But I agree this is an exception rather than the norm. It always surprises me how ignorant most people are about the best band making music today and the top singer songwriter of an entire generation.

That guy wasn't a Best Buy employee, it was Pat Sansone and you should have asked for an autograph.

Haha...

Maybe I'm bitter because when I was a younger man I applied at Best Buy twice and they never even called me in for an interview, until the third time, (when I already had a college degree), and I didn't take the job because working there would've made me hang myself, and I'm just not good at tying a quality noose.

I don't know every band every recorded, but I do have a better than average grasp on most genres. Perhaps my expectations are just too high.

This right here. This thread right here. The best thread on VC right now. I am just happy to be a part of it.

I agree. If they stocked this thread at Best Buy, there would be 30-40 copies of it in the popular selections display right up front in between the new Chingy and Clay Aiken CDs.