Best. Song. Ever.

That, along with "Moon Dance" by Van M., should be banned.

It's not so much the cliche Pop but the absolute overplaying-ness of it that drives me absolutely batty. It's similar to my distaste for Bob Marley and The Doors due to the same reason.

Sorry.

On it's own- not a bad tune. But with it's history it gets heavy demerits. Imo.

good points. totally overplayed. however, i still love it even though it's overplayed which makes it the best song ever :thumbup

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bob dylan's Visions of Johanna as recorded on the 1966 bootleg from the Royal Albert Hall concert. no matter what's going on, i always gravitate back to this track. breathtaking...

A very viable candidate... another constant heartbreaker: Allison Krause: "I Don't Know Why" *sniff*, *sniff*, aw there I go again

I would put "My Girl" up in my top 5, probably. For me, the reason it's not # 1 is the string arrangement. I would love to hear that same recording with the strings stripped out in favor of a guitar solo, or even just a single violin playing the same part -- the string section is just too much.

In the end, that's a pretty minor complaint, though. That's definitely one of the great records of all time. :thumbup

I think is really funny because I find the string arrangement to be a thing of beauty that only enhances the song.

To each his own though, great song regardless.

My heart goes to the PurpleChick mix of the Beach Boys' "Surf's Up". Possibly the most sublime melody line ever written in pop. But does that recording really count, since it's really a FLAC-only sort of thing?

If not...for me, it always goes back to Gimme Shelter, which I saw was mentioned earlier. A menacing riff, an absolutely remarkable sonic atmosphere, some truly dead-end lyrics, and Merry Clayton singing the hell out of it. I've always felt that it sounds like nothing else in rock and roll.

My heart goes to the PurpleChick mix of the Beach Boys' "Surf's Up". Possibly the most sublime melody line ever written in pop. But does that recording really count, since it's really a FLAC-only sort of thing?

If not...for me, it always goes back to Gimme Shelter, which I saw was mentioned earlier. A menacing riff, an absolutely remarkable sonic atmosphere, some truly dead-end lyrics, and Merry Clayton singing the hell out of it. I've always felt that it sounds like nothing else in rock and roll.

Yeah! When her voice cracks during the "Rape, Murder" part (and you hear Jagger go "Yeah") it gives me chills.

Now it's...

1. the Beatles - Hey Jude

2. the Beach Boys - God Only Knows

I don't know about number one, but I've kind of had it with the Beach Boys. I know its good, I listen to it, but that damn Love. Mike Love is awful. Rotten.

Tell Me When It's Over- The Dream Syndicate

I always return to this when I have the house to myself and I really want to hear some loud music to set me straight.

Days of Wine and Roses is an album everyone should hear - side one is just loud and messy and glorious. "Halloween" might be my vote for best song ever, along with "Gimme Shelter".

Also "God Only Knows" is about as perfect as a song can be.

bob dylan's Visions of Johanna as recorded on the 1966 bootleg from the Royal Albert Hall concert. no matter what's going on, i always gravitate back to this track. breathtaking...

I was gonna say A Day In The Life, but then I read this, and ... well, hell, I think you're right.

Tell Me When It's Over- The Dream Syndicate

motherfucking YES

wynn is just absolutely a remarkable song writer with a mind-boggling body of work & that may be my favorite wynn / dream syndicate / gutterball track

his last record - crossing dragon bridge - is excellent.

and an incredibly great guy

and i believe just got married to linda this weekend

L.A. Woman- The Doors. this song is THE best tune of all time, for real. everything about it is so romantic and full of every emotion that I can't properly describe it. even the way it was recorded, Morrison laid down the vocals in a bathroom, is romantic. my avatar is a pic of Morrison taken during the L.A. Woman sessions. :pirate

L.A. Woman- The Doors. this song is THE best tune of all time, for real. everything about it is so romantic and full of every emotion that I can't properly describe it. even the way it was recorded, Morrison laid down the vocals in a bathroom, is romantic. my avatar is a pic of Morrison taken during the L.A. Woman sessions. :pirate

I went and visited the site in LA where they recorded LA woman. It's now a coffee shop/restaurant. I do agree this is a great song but not the greatest by any stretch. I get a kick out of how drunk he sounds in this one, that "rrreahhhhhhhrghhhh!" towards the end during the guitar solo is great. I do love the doors.

I went and visited the site in LA where they recorded LA woman. It's now a coffee shop/restaurant. I do agree this is a great song but not the greatest by any stretch. I get a kick out of how drunk he sounds in this one, that "rrreahhhhhhhrghhhh!" towards the end during the guitar solo is great. I do love the doors.

lucky! I've always wanted to go there. have you heard the live version they played on 12/11/70? its a bit longer and sounds neat. he changed the lyrics at the end of the song from "just another lost angel" to "just another dark witness." good stuff.