Best. Song. Ever.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always regarded the Booker T. & The MG's stuff to be kind of dull. Obviously there were a lot of legendary musicians involved, but in the end, yawn. I've been listening to the Complete Stax-Volt Singles box set a lot lately, and I end up skipping the Booker T. tunes.

Gotta disagree wholeheartedly (see "Hip Hug-Her" and "Boot-Leg" for some high-octane southern soul), but to each his own. :cheers

so many people have said "In My Life" by The Beatles, and I find it hilarious. Because the Beatles wrote that song in the studio to fill out the album. It was considered a throw-away. I believe there's an article somewhere in which Lennon said they used the typical "Beatles' formula"

NOTE: "It was the first song I wrote that was consciously about my life. [sings] "There are places I remember/ all my life though some have changed..." Before, we were just writing songs a la Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly -- pop songs with no more thought to them than that. The words were almost irrelevant. "In My Life" started out as a bus journey from my house at 250 [sic] Menlove Avenue to town, mentioning all the places I could recall. I wrote it all down and it was boring. So I forgot about it and laid back and these lyrics started coming to me about friends and lovers of the past. Paul helped with the middle-eight, musically." (John Lennon, 1980)

so many people have said "In My Life" by The Beatles, and I find it hilarious. Because the Beatles wrote that song in the studio to fill out the album. It was considered a throw-away. I believe there's an article somewhere in which Lennon said they used the typical "Beatles' formula"

I find the fact that your mother's a whore hilarious.

Sometimes the most brilliant art comes from the least amount of work. There is no way it can't be considered significant, even though it may have been an after thought. Maybe the fact that it is so unselfconcious adds to its beauty.

LouieB

Right now the songs sticking in my head are:

The Weight (The Band)

The Harder They Come (Jimmy Cliff)

Box of Rain (Grateful Dead)

I'm really not sure that any of those are necessarily even my favorite of all time, let alone the best of all time. But I like them enough to list em here, I guess. :cheers

I might have to submit "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" by Jimmy Ruffin as well... along with "Be Thankful for What You Got" by William DeVaughn.

Swoooon...such excellence in those songs. Ditto the votes for Marvin and Rev. Al.

My Al votes go to Love & Happiness for pure grooviness and Simply Beautiful (his old version, not the newer duet thing)(also, played into the headphones) for arouseability.

I'll have to think long and hard before I post something to claim as my top pick! :unsure

Suspicious Minds was a good call also

What was the band in the 80's that made that into a big hit, I seem to remember overalls?

Fine Young Cannibals covered that song sometime in the late 80's as I recall.

Sometimes the most brilliant art comes from the least amount of work. There is no way it can't be considered significant, even though it may have been an after thought. Maybe the fact that it is so unselfconcious adds to its beauty.

LouieB

Amen brother.

Walken, that was a rather asinine comment.

Velvet Underground, Sweet Jane.

But if you ask me tomorrow, In My Life, Beatles.

The day after that, maybe No More Shoes by Malkmus, or a live version of Eight Miles High with Crosby and Garcia in a barn studio.

Next week it could be Dylan's You're A Big Girl Now, then Jeff Buckley's All Flowers In Time, followed by the Stones' Loving Cup, Ryan Adam's Jeanne, Wilco's How To Fight Loneliness, Dead's Help On The Way>Slipknot>Frankin's Tower, but then I might end up with Neil Young's Will To Love after all.

Or Maybe Will Oldham's Untitled....

Man, I'm horrible at this game, but I love it! :cheers