• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yahoo News

Blogger sentenced for leaking G N'R album

AP

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer Anthony Mccartney, Ap Entertainment Writer – 2 hrs 50 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – A blogger who admitted to leaking part of the Guns N' Roses album "Chinese Democracy" was sentenced to a year of probation on Monday.

U.S. District Magistrate Judge Paul L. Abrams also ordered Kevin Cogill to serve two months of home confinement, subject his computers to government scrutiny and record a public service announcement for the Recording Industry Association of America.

Cogill pleaded guilty earlier this year to one misdemeanor count of copyright infringement for posting nine tracks from the long-awaited Guns 'N Roses album last year.

Cogill apologized for his actions in court Tuesday and said he didn't mean any harm by posting the tracks online.

"I never intended to hurt the artist," Cogill told Abrams. "I intended to promote the artist because I'm a fan."

Abrams noted that Cogill is an artist, and should have known better.

A federal prosecutor pushed for a short prison term to act as a deterrent to others.

"This is the type of case where I believe the court needs to send a strong message," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Craig Missakian.

Too many people think of posting copyrighted work online as a "victimless crime," he said.

Cogill's attorney argued against a prison term, saying his client realized his wrongdoing and had suffered serious repercussions already.

"He did lose his job as a result of this case," defense attorney David Kaloyanides said.

Missakian said after the hearing that while prosecutors hoped Cogill would be incarcerated, the case should serve as a warning to others that the government takes copyright infringement violations seriously.

Abrams said he thought Cogill had learned his lesson, and did not think he would repeat his mistake.

As part of his plea deal, Cogill will have to allow authorities to search or seize his computers.

He will not have to pay any fines or restitution, although authorities at one point calculated the losses from his actions at more than $371,000.

Kaloyanides said after the hearing that arriving at any damage amount was difficult and that sending Cogill to prison could have created a backlash.

"It doesn't help to educate the public of the importance of respecting copyright law when you become too heavy-handed with punishment," Kaloyanides said.

Cogill will have some input into the public service announcement he records for the RIAA, which has used lawsuits to pursue people it suspects of illegally downloading music.

Kaloyanides said he hoped the ads would target fans who upload and download copyrighted works by explaining to them that they're really hurting their favorite bands.

"You need to reach the fans," he said. "He (Cogill) speaks their language."

• 2 months later...

For a change of pace, someone is suing them:

Billboard.com

Two independent record labels sued U.S. rock band Guns N' Roses for $1 million, claiming the group used portions of two songs by a German musician on their last album "Chinese Democracy."

Guns N' Roses and Universal Music Group's Interscope-Geffen A&M label were sued by British label Independiente and the U.S. arm of Domino Recording Company, who own the licensing rights to songs by German electronic musician Ulrich Schnauss.

Singer Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses band members and album producers copied portions of two of Schnauss' songs -- "Wherever You Are" and "A Strangely Isolated Place" -- for a song used on the band's last album called "Riad N' the Bedouins," according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit, filed on Friday but made available on Monday, seeks $1 million in damages. A spokesperson for Interscope-Geffen A&M, owned by Vivendi's Universal Music Group, was not available for comment.

"Chinese Democracy," the band's first new album in 17 years that was released last November, resulted in disappointing sales.

Besides Rose, the only original member in the band, the other current and former band members named in the suit include guitarist Brian Carroll, better known as "Buckethead," bassist Tommy Stinson, and Robin Finck, who currently plays lead guitar with rock act Nine Inch Nails.

(Reporting by Christine Kearney; Editing by Michelle Nichols and Philip Barbara)

Guns N' Roses manager Irving Azoff has said the band "vigorously contests" claims that it used portions of two songs by a German musician on their last album "Chinese Democracy."

Guns N' Roses and Interscope-Geffen A&M were sued by British label Independiente and the U.S. arm of Domino Recording Company, who own the licensing rights to songs by German electronic musician Ulrich Schnauss.

According to the lawsuit filed Friday (Oct. 2), which is seeking $1 million in damages, Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses band members and album producers copied portions of two of Schnauss' songs -- "Wherever You Are" and "A Strangely Isolated Place" - for the track "Riad N' the Bedouins."

Azoff has said the band "vigorously contests these claims and intends to respond accordingly," in a statement.

The rest of the statement reads: "The band believed when the record came out and still believes that there are no unauthorized samples on the track. The snippets of 'ambient noise' in question were provided by a member of the album's production team who has assured us that these few seconds of sound were obtained legitimately. Artists these days can't read the minds of those they collaborate with and therefore are unfortunately vulnerable to claims like this one. While the band resents the implication that they would ever use another artist's work improperly and are assessing possible counterclaims, they are confident this situation will be satisfactorily resolved."

"Chinese Democracy," the band's first new album of original material in 17 years, was released last November.

Besides Rose, who is the only original member in the band, the other current and former band members named in the suit include guitarist Brian "Buckethead" Carroll, bassist Tommy Stinson, and Robin Finck, who currently plays lead guitar with rock act Nine Inch Nails.

Interscope-Geffen A&M has not made any comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Tour Dates from Rolling Stone

Guns n’ Roses have revealed plans to bring Chinese Democracy to North America… with a tour of Canada. Last week, various Canadian Websites including GEG.ca teased a huge announcement concerning Gn’R touring the Great White North. Today, a 13-date Canadian trek that starts January 13th in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and stretches across our neighbor to the North until February 4th in Halifax, Nova Scotia, was posted on Brave Words. Rolling Stone has received an official press release that proclaims the dates are part of “Guns n’ Roses Chinese Democracy World Tour” and can now confirm the dates are official.

Look back at classic shots of Gn’R, onstage and off.

Some of the dates are posted on Live Nation’s Website and others appear on Ticketmaster.ca’s site. The earliest presale begins October 21st. General admission floor seats and reserved seats in the stands are available; prices range from $49.50 to $89.50 Canadian before service charges.

As Rolling Stone previously reported, Rose and company appear to be plotting a tour of Southeast Asia starting December 11th in Taiwan. According to Brave Words, more dates for the Gn’R world tour are expected, and the band is set to begin rehearsing in Los Angeles soon.

Guns n’ Roses early days: photos from Reckless Road.

Guns n’ Roses Canadian tour dates

Jan. 13 – Winnipeg, MB @ MTS Centre

Jan. 16 – Calgary, AB @ Pengrowth Saddledome

Jan. 17 – Edmonton, AB @ Rexall Place

Jan. 19 – Saskatoon, SK @ Credit Union Centre

Jan. 20 – Regina, SK @ Brandt Centre

Jan. 24 – Hamilton, ON @ Copps Coliseum

Jan. 25 – London, ON @ John Labatt Centre

Jan. 27 – Montreal, PQ @ Bell Centre

Jan. 28 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre

Jan. 31 – Ottawa, ON @ Scotiabank Place

Feb. 1 – Quebec City, PQ @ Colisee Pepsi

Feb. 3 – Moncton, NB @ Moncton Coliseum

Feb. 4 – Halifax, NS @ Metro Centre

Daniel Kreps

• 2 months later...

I wonder if that tour ^^ is still happening.

I dug up this thread because over Christmas, my father-in-law unloaded on me a bunch of vinyl (mostly smelly) that he'd acquired at some church thing.

One of them was a boot of GnR from wayback (demos pre-Appetite). I remember one of my college buddies having it:

512336.jpg

Unfortunately it's only one disc of a two disc set, but I gave it a spin last night and man, this was some fuckin band. Two demos of November Rain that are each excellent.

The tour's happening. Just as an experiment, I ran searches a few minutes ago for blocks of eight tickets for the Toronto show. No problem getting that many seats together in either the lower or upper levels. (The floor, which is general admission, appears to be sold out.)

Certainly not the instant sellout that it would have been fifteen or twenty years ago. And tickets have been on sale since October.

The shows they did in Japan last month looked fantastic on paper. I'm not sure what version of the band they are on (4? - AFD, UYI, 2002 and now 2010), but this would be my least favorite of the four....thought they had an interesting thing going with Buckethead, Brain and Robin Finck but now those guys are gone too. Good luck in Canada Axl - I'm sure you'll sell a lot of albums there - I hear their best buys are superior to the US.

• 1 month later...

Maybe it was the song Catcher In The Rye that caused the man to do it:

Contact Music.com

KNIFE DRAMA AT GUNS N' ROSES SHOW

Former SKID ROW rocker SEBASTIAN BACH was hailed a hero at a GUNS N' ROSES gig on Sunday (14Feb10) - after he stopped a knife-wielding man from approaching his close friend AXL ROSE.Bach, along with a host of stars including Mickey Rourke and Ryan Phillippe, was at the Gramercy Park Hotel in New York for an exclusive show by the band.

But the rocker was stunned to see a man enter the bar carrying a blade and immediately confronted him, fearing he would try to attack one of the band or guests. Security then evicted the troublemaker, according to New York Post's gossip column PageSix.

A source tells the publication, "The man walked in while Guns N' Roses was onstage and pulled out a knife and flicked the blade out. "Sebastian, who was standing on a banquette said: 'Nobody is getting anywhere near my man Axl Rose with a knife,' and went after him. Security then immediately threw him out. "The man appeared to be drunk. It was dealt with so quickly that none of the other guests or the band were aware of it."

Sebastian Bach just gets awesomer and awesomer.

If you ever get to see Season 7 of The Trailer Park Boys, check it out. I don't want to spoil it, but let's just say Sebastian Bach gets mixed up with the boys.

Axl must be a fan also, as he has had Bubbles as a guest on stage at some Canadian Guns N'Roses shows.

• 1 year later...

The shows they did in Japan last month looked fantastic on paper. I'm not sure what version of the band they are on (4? - AFD, UYI, 2002 and now 2010), but this would be my least favorite of the four....thought they had an interesting thing going with Buckethead, Brain and Robin Finck but now those guys are gone too. Good luck in Canada Axl - I'm sure you'll sell a lot of albums there - I hear their best buys are superior to the US.

http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090321&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp

The new guitarist, DJ Ashba went to my high school. He was a few years older than me, so I didn't know him very well. He was in the pep band playing electric guitar during basketball games . They had a really good drummer too, and they would play "Paradise City" together every game and it was always the highlight of the night. Nobody there would have ever guessed at the time that he would be in GnR over twenty years later, not someone from a little town of 3,000 in central IL.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to the show in Chicago next week. They are playing 3 hours shows ending at 2-3AM. Should be interesting. First time seeing them (including Ashba) since 2002.

Axl Rose sounds great, looks slightly younger than his age, remains a great performer and plays a 3 hour show with all the hits + 2 great AC/DC cover songs. Best songs of the night: Jungle, Brownstone, Rocket Queen and Better.

The band includes 3 guitarists (1 too many) and 2 keyboardists (2 too many). The crowd, understandably, only recognizes 2-3 of the band members including Axl which makes it strange that there are 6 different sections of the show dedicated to band members – not exactly solos, but not GNR songs and not good. This pretty much derails the momentum of the show every 10 minutes. You know what you are getting into when you go see Axl, but it doesn’t change the fact that ending a concert on a weeknight at 2am is not cool.

Setlist: Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Sorry, Riff Raff, Estranged, Better, Richard Fortus Guitar “Solo” (James Bond Theme)/Live And Let Die, Jam/This I Love, Rocket Queen, My Generation, Band Introductions, Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Baba O'Riley)/Street Of Dreams, You Could Be Mine, Dj Ashba Guitar “Solo” (Mi Amor)/Sweet Child O' Mine, Jam (Another Brick In The Wall: Part 2)/Axl Piano Solo (Someone Saved My Life Tonight/Yellow Brick Road)/November Rain, Bumblefoot Guitar “Solo” (Pink Panther), Don't Cry, Whole Lotta Rosie, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Nightrain

Fake Encore: Jam/Madagascar, Shackler's Revenge, Jam/Patience, Jam/Paradise City

Axl Rose sounds great, looks slightly younger than his age, remains a great performer and plays a 3 hour show with all the hits + 2 great AC/DC cover songs. Best songs of the night: Jungle, Brownstone, Rocket Queen and Better.

The band includes 3 guitarists (1 too many) and 2 keyboardists (2 too many). The crowd, understandably, only recognizes 2-3 of the band members including Axl which makes it strange that there are 6 different sections of the show dedicated to band members – not exactly solos, but not GNR songs and not good. This pretty much derails the momentum of the show every 10 minutes. You know what you are getting into when you go see Axl, but it doesn’t change the fact that ending a concert on a weeknight at 2am is not cool.

Setlist: Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Sorry, Riff Raff, Estranged, Better, Richard Fortus Guitar “Solo” (James Bond Theme)/Live And Let Die, Jam/This I Love, Rocket Queen, My Generation, Band Introductions, Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Baba O'Riley)/Street Of Dreams, You Could Be Mine, Dj Ashba Guitar “Solo” (Mi Amor)/Sweet Child O' Mine, Jam (Another Brick In The Wall: Part 2)/Axl Piano Solo (Someone Saved My Life Tonight/Yellow Brick Road)/November Rain, Bumblefoot Guitar “Solo” (Pink Panther), Don't Cry, Whole Lotta Rosie, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Nightrain

Fake Encore: Jam/Madagascar, Shackler's Revenge, Jam/Patience, Jam/Paradise City

I can't speak from firsthand experience, but a friend of mine who saw GnR in Dallas had a diametrically opposite opinion of the show, Axl's appearance and the whole thing.

They were more than disappointed.

That's a long time difference between Axl's multiple trips to the buffet for the early bird special.

?

I don't get it. If you implying Axl is old, he's only 49 (5 years older than Tweedy), and if you are implying he is fat I don't really see it. Photo gallery from Chicago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-guns-roses-at-allstate-arena-pg,0,2045814.photogallery . No bigger than most of us.