A Modest Proposal

Greetings to you all from the east coast branch -- where we've been burning the midnight oil for months getting ready for May 15. And it is finally upon us.

By now, you know that next week is the official release date of Wilco's 7th album (or 9th depending on how you count). Hence the slightly serious tone of this note. Tuesday, to be precise, marks the US release of Sky Blue Sky on Nonesuch Records. If you haven't had a chance to listen to the on-demand stream, by all means click here and take it for a spin. We're pretty sure you'll enjoy the ride.

But once you've done that we hope you'll take a moment to reflect (see, I told you this was serious) on how this dynamic has worked over the years -- the dynamic between us and you. We (and this "we" means the band, first and foremost) expend a lot of time, energy and other resources trying to make this something you are not just a witness to, but a participant in and we genuinely hope you can feel that.

We've been asked many times if we'd consider changing the way we do things, usually by people who are convinced we'd be more successful if we did. And either out of stubbornness or something else, we keep refusing. Instead, we just do what we do and somehow it all works. We continue to make lots of music available free to all in the road case, continue to allow taping/photos at shows, and basically just try to keep the things we do charge for of a quality that make you feel like you got a bargain. You know, mutual respect and all that. We like the way it works... a lot. We really do believe in trying to keep as much of it as free and open as is humanly possible. That seems pretty obvious... but somehow it remains a slight novelty in the modern day music business. So much so that people continually mention it in their stories when they write or speak about the band or the somewhat sad state of the music business.

Anyway, what we're getting at here is that right now we need you to participate in a way that is part of what has made this nice little story work. We're actually asking you to please go out next week and do the right thing for Wilco. That is, vote with your feet and prove the band's faith well-placed and buy the record. It's available from Tuesday at all kinds of retailers everywhere. Ask for it by name. It's also available here, and for those of you who are more digitally inclined, here.

Okay, enough campaign speeches. You get the message. And we trust that you'll act on it as you always have. Other things on this week's extremely busy agenda...

This Saturday (May 12) Wilco are in Minneapolis performing on A Prairie Home Companion. It's on too many stations to list... many NPR affiliates as well as XM, Sirius and online here. Note that there are also some tickets left for the show so if you're in the North Country and wanna check it out click here. It's gonna be fun. On Tuesday (May 15, release day) it's New York City where they'll be musical guests of David Letterman. Check your local listings. After that it's on to the UK, then the continent, and finally back to the States in early June with a US tour to start soon thereafter. Dates and ticket info here. If you live west of the MIssissippi, fear not... the band head that way later in the summer. So be patient, okay? Oh and one last thing, both London Shepherds Bush Empire shows will be streamed live on 20/21 May via Wilcoworld. Info in the Roadcase.

That's all folks. Tune in, turn on, and um, buy stuff.

yours with the usual loving embrace, the Wilco HQ staff.

Rock and Roll. I bought their records in the past and I will buy this one too. I figure, it's the least I can do to help them be able to produce the music that we all love so much.

Right on. I pre-ordered and will likely buy a couple of extra copies for some birthday gifts for some folks.

I don't think that's asking too much. Not at all.

How nicely written, too. What could be a slightly awkward request was written with tact and respect.

I love the fact that they are putting a real CD inside the vinyl. Has any band ever done that?

I love that the band gives back to its fans every time they allow taping.

I love the community of friends the band fosters by being accessible to us.

We're pretty lucky to have such a deal.

Wilco is one of those few acts that doesn't even have to ask. Even if I hadn't heard a note of it, I would be buying it on Tuesday (if I can't convince somebody to sell it to me this weekend) because of all that's gone before.

I don't think that's asking too much. Not at all.

How nicely written, too. What could be a slightly awkward request was written with tact and respect.

I love the fact that they are putting a real CD inside the vinyl. Has any band ever done that?

I love that the band gives back to its fans every time they allow taping.

I love the community of friends the band fosters by being accessible to us.

We're pretty lucky to have such a deal.

I agree with all of this.

I love the Wilco and don't mind putting my money where my ears are!

I'm psyched to get the vinyl and give it a spin! Downloads smownloads...I've been rocking to my burned copy of the web rip for quiet some time now but my super-excitedness for the real release has not been diminished by any means. :thumbup

chicago (and close by) people! don't forget the midnite sale at the hideout monday. CDs (and hopefully LPs!) will be plentiful, as well as some great giveaway stuff from the super awesome people at Wilco HQ.

Yeah I'm excited about getting the real cd not a rip from the March 3rd stream. But I am surprised that they have to ask. But good for them for continuing on to make as much as possible free. Screw all of those people who want Wilco to be greedy with their music.

Yeah I'm excited about getting the real cd not a rip from the March 3rd stream. But I am surprised that they have to ask. But good for them for continuing on to make as much as possible free. Screw all of those people who want Wilco to be greedy with their music.

I agree. I think it's wonderful that the band openly shares its music through streams, leaks, allowing taping, etc. I also think it's incumbernt upon the band's fans to help keep this model sustainable through our purchases of albums, tickets, and merchandise. It's kind of strange to hear this respect or mutual support being "asked for" though. It's kind of like having a good friend remind you that they did you a nice favor. You're still grateful for what they did and hope you can return the favor, but it's kind of awkward to be told about it.

We all need to remember (and HQ note did it well) that while the music is art....the records are business. Serious business.

Bottom line - if the record does well than Wilco can tell Nonesuch what THEY want to do to support their fans. If the record does poorly, the balance of power shifts and not in the fans (or the bands) favor.

BUY the record

BUY all the records

AND keep enjoying all the free stuff

Its a sweet deal

I thnk it's really smart that they asked -- it's true that the people who post on this site are beyond loyal and will almost certainly buy the recording once or more. But there are a lot of folks on wilco's mailing list who might not have heard the argument put forward so cleanly, and I imagine those folks just got moved from the Maybe I'll Buy It If I Find It On Sale at Best Buy column to the Of Course I'll Buy It! On Tuesday! At the Hideout! column.

How much are cds there - about 22 bucks I bet.

Actually I buy quite a bit of stuff there when I can't find it at small stores or just don't have the time (I live within spitting distance of a Borders). Their prices are suprisingly good, especially w/ their rewards program.

Wilco really is the best bands out there to us (the fans), I pre-ordered mine and hopefully it will come next week. Thanks Wilco!

I just received the tracking number for my pre-ordered CD. Looks like it shipped today.

I just received the tracking number for my pre-ordered CD. Looks like it shipped today.

Had to go check my e-mail after reading these posts...

Yesssss! Tracking number in the inbox and a whole lotta Wilco loot headed my way! Yippeee!

I've seen other threads that mention folks getting their pre-orders earlier than the release date in the past...you think that is going to happen for us this time around?