More on the "controversy"

It's a shot in the dark, but I'll guess those 25 year olds were 25 years old.

Let me know if I win!

The only way to know for certain is to round up all the suspiciously young looking Wilco fans, cut them in half and count their rings.

WILCO = the Fuzzy Zoeller of band product endorsers.

Chop. Chop. Chop.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm one of those people who reads a lot into commercials, the music, the sentiment and i wholeheartedly support these ads. The idea that VW and therefore wilco, is high quality enough for the tow truck driver to move the car, in a friendly, respectful gesture speaks to me. the second one, with the guy who refuses to give his keys up, not as much, i find it simply isn't as clever.

let me give you an example of how it can backfire. Does anyone remember the very mean spirited toyota commercials from a few years ago? The handsome couple in the car bickering over the music, he wants rock, she wants classical, they go back and forth until she threatens to withhold sex until he folds, which he does, immediately? and then there's the one where the husband keeps locking the wife out of the car? WTF? I would never buy a toyota after those ads. If driving a toyota turns you into someone like that, forget it.

But if driving a VW means skipping the party to drive along the cost with my friends and nick drake on a beautiful starry night, or if it means that i'd be so impressed with a little VW rabbit or golf that i'd move it to make sure it was in a legal parking spot--well, i'd rather be that kind of person.

I'm not sure how licensing a song to be in a thoughtful commercial is any different than signing off on a song in a movie, or television show. and I'm not ashamed or afraid to admit that i've been turned on to some great music, which I have then gone out and bought, from movies and TV, and even from commercials.

as for ice cream: coffee with reeses chunks please.

also, when are we going to get some chicago dates on this tour?

the Jam on a Cadillac commercial

I was unfamiliar with this song before the commercial (which will come as no surprise to some), but if they didn't credit George Harrison (and Paul for the bass line), they completely ripped off "Taxman."

Pitchfork brings it with the subhead:

Like a Volkswagen, Wilco is reliable, family friendly, beloved by middle-aged folks

They're so indier than thou.

Guess that explains these milksop commercials that only a soccer mom could love--VW's trying to step up to the next purchasing power weight class.

Instead of throwing in a Trek bike with every new VW, they'll throw in a car seat and a 'Baby I'm Bored, *yawn*, we should've bought an Audi' sign.

Guess that explains these milksop commercials that only a soccer mom could love--VW's trying to step up to the next purchasing power weight class.

Instead of throwing in a Trek bike with every new VW, they'll throw in a car seat and a 'Baby I'm Bored, *yawn*, we should've bought an Audi' sign.

Do you have a newsletter to which I could subscribe?

I was unfamiliar with this song before the commercial (which will come as no surprise to some), but if they didn't credit George Harrison (and Paul for the bass line), they completely ripped off "Taxman."

That observation gets made quite a bit about that song. From the allmusic guide review:

"Musically, Weller drew upon Revolver-era Beatles as a primary source (the bassline on 'Start,' which comes directly from 'Taxman,' being the most obvious occurrence)"

Sound Affects is a great album, BTW.

That observation gets made quite a bit about that song. From the allmusic guide review:

"Musically, Weller drew upon Revolver-era Beatles as a primary source (the bassline on 'Start,' which comes directly from 'Taxman,' being the most obvious occurrence)"

Sound Affects is a great album, BTW.

Ninja's musical education before i got my hands on him was woefully incomplete.

I don't know. I understand it's not Wilco's words, but having the new album reduced to being the "soundtrack for VW's latest TV campaign" rubs me the wrong way.

Well, you'll no doubt be relieved to hear that the poster called Beltmann and I had a great heart-to-heart about this. I was also uncomfortable with the ad campaign, but then he taught me that I didn't have to feel the way I do about it. Everything's changed now! I watch TV all the time, and I've learned to enjoy the commoditized sound bite versions of the SBS songs more than the full length album cuts! Not only that, I'm thinking about leasing a VW! It's a beautiful day, man.

Well, you'll no doubt be relieved to hear that the poster called Beltmann and I had a great heart-to-heart about this. I was also uncomfortable with the ad campaign, but then he taught me that I didn't have to feel the way I do about it. Everything's changed now! I watch TV all the time, and I've learned to enjoy the commoditized sound bite versions of the SBS songs more than the full length album cuts! Not only that, I'm thinking about leasing a VW! It's a beautiful day, man.

Nice to see you're being so mature about learning to manage your feelings.

i'm one of those people who reads a lot into commercials, the music, the sentiment and i wholeheartedly support these ads. The idea that VW and therefore wilco, is high quality enough for the tow truck driver to move the car, in a friendly, respectful gesture speaks to me. the second one, with the guy who refuses to give his keys up, not as much, i find it simply isn't as clever.

let me give you an example of how it can backfire. Does anyone remember the very mean spirited toyota commercials from a few years ago? The handsome couple in the car bickering over the music, he wants rock, she wants classical, they go back and forth until she threatens to withhold sex until he folds, which he does, immediately? and then there's the one where the husband keeps locking the wife out of the car? WTF? I would never buy a toyota after those ads. If driving a toyota turns you into someone like that, forget it.

But if driving a VW means skipping the party to drive along the cost with my friends and nick drake on a beautiful starry night, or if it means that i'd be so impressed with a little VW rabbit or golf that i'd move it to make sure it was in a legal parking spot--well, i'd rather be that kind of person.

I'm not sure how licensing a song to be in a thoughtful commercial is any different than signing off on a song in a movie, or television show. and I'm not ashamed or afraid to admit that i've been turned on to some great music, which I have then gone out and bought, from movies and TV, and even from commercials.

as for ice cream: coffee with reeses chunks please.

also, when are we going to get some chicago dates on this tour?

But, skipping that party and driving up the coast is not something a VW driver is more or less likely to do

Hey, sorry, I do not. I do have a blog, *link deleted -- do not post it again* if you wanna peep that out.

What the ? I wondered what the hell was going on. Now how's Fat Boy supposed to peer into my innermost, ah, nevermind.

So...do you think you are a better person than someone who buys a car because it looks like a more expensive model they'd like to own but can't afford?

He's a better person because he doesn't fall for the marketers' bullshit, man.

So...do you think you are a better person than someone who buys a car because it looks like a more expensive model they'd like to own but can't afford?

Of course not, but, and I may sound like an ass for saying this, I would be willing to say I may have my priorities

It appears he thinks he is a better person, or at least dislikes anyone who has ever worked in marketing, thought about working in marketing, bought something marketed, bought a VW, worked at VW, marketed or sold VW, got laid in a VW, sold any product that required some type of advertising or marketing, as well as anyone who wanted to succeed, anyone who has succeeded, or anyone currently trying to succeed.