More on the "controversy"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so now you are pretty much saying the most people are to stupid to understand that real life isn't like it is in the commercials?

He never said that you're putting words in his mouth, etc.

"Advertising is the greatest art form of the twentieth century."

Marshall McLuhan

Here's the thing nickerson... Yes rampant consumerism is problematic. Yes, there are many people who see homes, cars, clothing etc. as a viable replacement for self worth. Duh. No brainer, bubba. I don't happen to personally subscribe to that philosophy. Nor do I watch television. Personal choice.

The problem lies in the fact that you have allowed your own personal philosophy grow so disproportionately that you feel entitled to bludgeon others with it. In a perfect universe, artists (and their families if you would allow that) could live like monks, being fed, clothed, housed and medically insured through the kindess of their fans. The world doesn't work that way. It ain't a perfect world. Art is a process, but to make a living at it, it has to become a commodity as well. So whether it's the church buying it, or fans buying it or fucking Volkswagon buying it, what gives you the right to tell an artist how to disseminate it and who he gets to sell it to?

so now you are pretty much saying the most people are to stupid to understand that real life isn't like it is in the commercials? dude, have you actually watched these spots? they are tongue-in-cheek supposed-to-be-funny spots...hardly a commercial for lexus.

I would like to think that they are not, yet, commercials sell products, lots and lots of products.

In all seriousness, look into the psychology behind marketing, they are literally trying to bypass the logic centers of your brain.

That

Admin/Mods could I have my member title changed to:

sad little status seeker

thanks!

I would like to think that they are not, yet, commercials sell products, lots and lots of products.

In all seriousness, look into the psychology behind marketing, they are literally trying to bypass the logic centers of your brain.

That

so nobody buys a VW because they like them? they're only buying because they kinda look like BMWs?
I drove a new "Bug" one time (or maybe a couple) and it handled like crap.....

Of course, I have driven many an old bug and a few VW buses too in my time......

LouieB

I drove a new "Bug" one time (or maybe a couple) and it handled like crap.....

Of course, I have driven many an old bug and a few VW buses too in my time......

LouieB

How did they handle?

Guest Mr. Sandman

jnickerson -

Everyone here agrees you do a point and that your argument is worth arguing. However, it also does seem as though your constant need to reply to virtually every post in this thread - as well as the fact that you do have a tendancy to state your worldview and morals as universal truths - has grown tiring and repetetive. The issue is done yet you seem to be intent on retreading it.

So I have a serious question for you, and although it may come off as sarcastic - I am absolutely serious, and I mean no disrespect:

Do you, by any chance, have some irritating sand lodged in your vagina?

How did they handle?
I think VWs handle like crap period. My only real experience with new VWs was a station wagon my bro-in-law had that had more problems with it, some of which were handled under warrenty, but eventually he simply had to dump the thing.

LouieB

I didn't feel like reading all the 14 pages of this thread but has it been mentioned that there will be more VW commercials with wilco in em? I guess half of SBS will end up in a VW commercial in the near future.

I'm so pissed they did this. They need to not succeed anymore because everyone knows succeeding = selling out.

I didn't feel like reading all the 14 pages of this thread but has it been mentioned that there will be more VW commercials with wilco in em? I guess half of SBS will end up in a VW commercial in the near future.

I'm so pissed they did this. They need to not succeed anymore because everyone knows succeeding = selling out.

It's been mentioned. Per Volkswagen, Sky Blue Sky is the soundtrack to their new marketing campaign.

Awesome.

Stop shopping, even

Stop buying things

I'm kickin'

Yeah, I'm calm

Oh, I'm kickin'

Television

Television

It's been mentioned. Per Volkswagen, Sky Blue Sky is the soundtrack to their new marketing campaign.

Awesome.

Stop shopping, even

Stop buying things

I'm kickin'

Yeah, I'm calm

Oh, I'm kickin'

Television

Television

Man, you don't actually take their music SERIOUSLY do you? It's all just good fun and TV commercials...

I can't possibly imagine how the band would think this kind of exposure would be a positive thing for the band. I'd REALLY like to hear Jeff Tweedy/anyone else from the band defend this decision/avoid it like the plague in forthcoming interviews. I think they owe us that (go on, tell me how they don't owe us loyal fans shit).

Guest Mr. Sandman
People only think of sand as irritating because marketeers tell them to.

You make a fair point, Mr. Liverwurst, and I thank you for replying to me and taking the topic seriously. It's certainly worthwhile having a conversation with some of the people on this board (and I humbly include you in that number), but there are obviously trolls everywhere trying to spoil things for everyone.

But to the topic at hand - I still believe I deserve a concrete answer to my question, devoid of any sarcasm:

Does jnickerson have a sandy vagina?