More on the "controversy"

"

I would love to hear the bands side of the story, and why there is no mention of this colaboration on their official website. It strikes me as odd considering the news section regularly makes mention of promotional appearances - why no mention of the ads?

Don't think that's gonna happen pal.

I wouldn't be expecting a Xmas card from Jeff and Sue this year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the hubub over a song that is not commercially available in a commercial that never mentions the band directly or by inference.

I got an kick out of it and I managed to tell the people I was watching the Cavs game with all about Wilco. I hope Jeff and the boys make a fucking MINT on this.

Jesus frickin christ...I hope the glass house I live in is safe...how about YOU?

"1 Jun 2007 : In a new form of music/promotion/communications, the band Wilco's recently released album Sky Blue Sky is the soundtrack to Volkswagen's latest TV campaign. This new form of marketing collaboration has the creative forces of Wilco and VW combining to launch both an album and a VW campaign in the same week (May 22nd). The partnership spans multiple commercials and multiple songs, with the first song being "The Thanks I Get." The Wilco Volkswagen union will run for the summer and all songs can be streamed on vw.com. It's also the first-ever licensing deal for Wilco." - prdomain.com

The song is available as a bonus track on the cd - you would know that if you, ahem, acquired your copy legally :shifty

My house is held together with lots of glue and duct tape :thumbup

The term "sell out" is outdated. It has no meaning anymore. Marketers and the media have more control than your giving them credit for. You can't stop it. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but it's my guess that Wilco could care less how many VW's sell. Their goal was reach more people. If you truly like or love this band, share them with others and support their success. Critical acclaim is just icing on the cake, but without album sales and ticket sales, no band will survive. What it all boils down to is -- Do you like the music? If you said "no" because you heard it on a commercial then your not truly listening to the music.

Why?

In fact, if I were in your shoes, I might have somebody start my car for me for a couple of weeks (you know how those Chicagoans get).

"1 Jun 2007 : In a new form of music/promotion/communications, the band Wilco's recently released album Sky Blue Sky is the soundtrack to Volkswagen's latest TV campaign. This new form of marketing collaboration has the creative forces of Wilco and VW combining to launch both an album and a VW campaign in the same week (May 22nd). The partnership spans multiple commercials and multiple songs, with the first song being "The Thanks I Get." The Wilco Volkswagen union will run for the summer and all songs can be streamed on vw.com. It's also the first-ever licensing deal for Wilco." - prdomain.com

The song is available as a bonus track on the cd - you would know that if you, ahem, acquired your copy legally :shifty

My house is held together with lots of glue and duct tape :thumbup

Already done sirrah...and burned onto my Ipod.

Smarminess in not very appealing.

The term "sell out" is outdated. It has no meaning anymore. Marketers and the media have more control than your giving them credit for. You can't stop it.

My point exactly

Unless of course, the one being smarmy is actually one's self.

smile when you day that partner...

Guest ChooChooCharlie

ALL RIGHT..ALL RIGHT you kids--Enough already!! I'm taking the Volkswagen commerical away and now NOBODY gets it!!! :angry

I am hoping the band says nothing. They do not need to justfiy their actions in this case. They can make whatever deals they wish. However, I have a feeling that Jeff will eventually say something on stage -- or at a LR show. I'll be interested to hear his reaction to this much ado about nothing.

ALL RIGHT..ALL RIGHT you kids--Enough already!! I'm taking the Volkswagen commerical away and now NOBODY gets it!!! :angry

That made me laugh - I needed to laugh - thanks for making me laugh.

Now - let me return the favor:

What kind of bees make milk?

Boob-bees.

See, you're laughing, it's in spite of yourself - but you're laughing.

The best dam comedy a four year old could provide.

I am hoping the band says nothing. They do not need to justfiy their actions in this case. They can make whatever deals they wish. However, I have a feeling that Jeff will eventually say something on stage -- or at a LR show. I'll be interested to hear his reaction to this much ado about nothing.

My thoughts exactly! :thumbup And yes it will make for some good banter.But they might never come back from Europe,thats my only fear. :shifty

i just want an answer on what car to buy. this is getting confusing. vdub? chevy ? is my answer in impossible germany unlikely japan?

I have heard anecdotal evidence that VW's are not as reliable as they once were. I'd get a Toyota myself.

I love Tom Waits. And I love how he dealt with VW.

I still love Wilco. It's their music, they can do what they want with it, i'm happy as long as they keep making it.

If people really want to be concerned over them, ask them about their carbon emmissons from flying Australia - Europe - America - Europe this summer and bringing all that gear with them.

I'm more worried about this than maybe hearing a wilco song when i turn on the tv.

OK

t

I think a full-on endorsement would mean the band touring thusly from now on:

combination.jpg

IMG_3658_skidoo_hill.jpg

This is only way for sure my friend. Departed Lars is making grave spin with this fierce nonsense! Where is Saab love?

How can Mr Jeff Tweedy track lost reindeer in his village without built in dashboard utility? (For I fear he does not have native sense to use traditional methods with twitch of nose for dung tracking. But I can sense special lessons if all have interest and make PM). This VolksWagen is worse than Danish transport variety! I am sorry for an outburst. It is not the Swedish way. Welfare!

The only bothersome thing about Wilco songs in VW commercials....why VW? Volkswagen's U.S. market is twentysomethings fresh out of college. Ain't too many 25 year-olds at Wilco shows, out buying Wilco records, decorating their cubes/pubes with Tweedy's visage. Sky Blue Sky songs would be a bit more appropriate in Buick or Saab or Audi or Cadillac commercials. Those VW spots are like shaquille o'neal free throws--ugly and unnatural and painful to watch.

I look forward to seeing them over and over all Summer long.

The only bothersome thing about Wilco songs in VW commercials....why VW? Volkswagen's U.S. market is twentysomethings fresh out of college. Ain't too many 25 year-olds at Wilco shows, out buying Wilco records, decorating their cubes/pubes with Tweedy's visage. Sky Blue Sky songs would be a bit more appropriate in Buick or Saab or Audi or Cadillac commercials. Those VW spots clunk off the ear like a shaquille o'neal free throw--ugly and unnatural and painful to watch.

I look forward to seeing them over and over all Summer long.

Sweet, I didn't know Bill Simmons was a member of this board.

:frusty

again, why does this matter so much? it's a 30 second clip on tv!

You don't really want me to pick up this here stick and use it on that there horse lying over yonder now, do you? The one collecting flies, all bony of rib and sunken eyed.

Do you?!?

Guest ChooChooCharlie
You don't really want me to pick up this here stick and use it on that there horse lying over yonder now, do you? The one collecting flies, all bony of rib and sunken eyed.

Do you?!?

Noooooo!! You are obviously a very articulate guy, you have a beautiful baby and I'm proud of you kids for resolving this all on your own..Now, what was everyone saying about ice cream??

Volkswagen's U.S. market is twentysomethings fresh out of college. Ain't too many 25 year-olds at Wilco shows, out buying Wilco records, decorating their cubes/pubes with Tweedy's visage.

Really? I'm 22 and I've been a fan of Wilcos for quite sometime, seen them 3 times in concert and Tweedy solo once.