More on the "controversy"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 18. Does that mean I only have 7 years of wilco enjoying to go?

No, that means you don't really enjoy them now, despite what you might think. You will in seven years. ;)

I have still not seen one of these commercials....what's the deal?

LouieB

you're probably just experiencing why the psychiatric world refers to as "denial."

I have still not seen one of these commercials....what's the deal?

Click your heels together three times and mumble "sellout" repeatedly. You'll see one soon enough.

Note: it helps to have your television on.

Click your heels together three times and mumble "sellout" repeatedly. You'll see one soon enough.

Note: it helps to have your television on.

Actually I DO have it on alot, and still I have not seen it. Just for the record, I also don't believe that this is selling out.

LouieB

Actually I DO have it on alot, and still I have not seen it. Just for the record, I also don't believe that this is selling out.

Neither do I. :thumbup

I don't know if this has been up before, but BrooklynVegan posted Volkswagen's press release about the ads. Here it is:

VW and Wilco create music and advertising first

1 Jun 2007: In a new form of music/promotion/communications, the band Wilco's recently released album Sky Blue Sky is the soundtrack to Volkswagen's latest TV campaign. This new form of marketing collaboration has the creative forces of Wilco and VW combining to launch both an album and a VW campaign in the same week (May 22nd). The partnership spans multiple commercials and multiple songs, with the first song being "The Thanks I Get." The Wilco Volkswagen union will run for the summer and all songs can be streamed on vw.com. It's also the first-ever licensing deal for Wilco.

I don't know. I understand it's not Wilco's words, but having the new album reduced to being the "soundtrack for VW's latest TV campaign" rubs me the wrong way.

Car Buy Car.

Something just doesn't feel right. I wish I felt differently.

I don't know if this has been up before, but BrooklynVegan posted Volkswagen's press release about the ads. Here it is:

VW and Wilco create music and advertising first

1 Jun 2007: In a new form of music/promotion/communications, the band Wilco's recently released album Sky Blue Sky is the soundtrack to Volkswagen's latest TV campaign. This new form of marketing collaboration has the creative forces of Wilco and VW combining to launch both an album and a VW campaign in the same week (May 22nd). The partnership spans multiple commercials and multiple songs, with the first song being "The Thanks I Get." The Wilco Volkswagen union will run for the summer and all songs can be streamed on vw.com. It's also the first-ever licensing deal for Wilco.

I don't know. I understand it's not Wilco's words, but having the new album reduced to being the "soundtrack for VW's latest TV campaign" rubs me the wrong way.

Car Buy Car.

Something just doesn't feel right. I wish I felt differently.

My sentiments exactly. This press release sort of suggests that this

Noooooo!! You are obviously a very articulate guy, you have a beautiful baby and I'm proud of you kids for resolving this all on your own..Now, what was everyone saying about ice cream??

back to the icecream, quite right. the story was basically this: if the thread makes it to 50 pages then the 'managers', 'owners', or whatever-they-are of via chicago (the forum, not the song) buy icecream for everyone who contributed to the thread.

awesome. we were happily fillibustering away long after the original point of the topic fell asleep. then they closed the thread at 43 or something! curses!

but now the topic has been reborn in this thread, and has quickly become just as vitriolic, misguided, frustrating, and occasionally amusing as the original! hurrah.

a new icecream deal is surely due. :dancing

BTW, jnickerson, what a beautiful baby! (I assume you're the proud papa.)

One of the things I'm enjoying about my 8 month old daughter is her indifference toward brands. I know it won't be long before I have to deal with the "nag factor" and ultimately her own youth culture will be co-opted by "cool hunters" (as mine was). Until then... bliss.

The comment by Vitas on there really should be the final word (though, I know it won't be).

Thanks for posting the links....I would not have gone looking for them myself. Nice to know that VW/Wilco fans are guys with beards......I guess I am in the demographic....

LouieB