Sgt Pepper must die!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How appropriate that a man named Billy Childish bases his scathing commentary of Sgt. Pepper on opinions he formed between the ages of 4 and 7. "I was a Beatles fan," he says, because he had a Beatle wig at age 4. Please.

How appropriate that a man named Billy Childish bases his scathing commentary of Sgt. Pepper on opinions he formed between the ages of 4 and 7. "I was a Beatles fan," he says, because he had a Beatle wig at age 4. Please.

oi! careful what you say about billy. he's about the only person on that list who's opinion i'd actually take any interest in. plus, he lives very close to me & has an excellent moustache.

childish_narrowweb__300x386,0.jpg

Okay, then I'll say it. Billy Childish is a complete idiot, a total douchebag, and couldn't be more wrong.

These days, well, it's my contention that it represents the death of the Beatles as a rock'n'roll band and the birth of them as music hall, which is hardly a victory.

Really? Is Helter Skelter music hall? How about Polythene Pam? The Ballad of John and Yoko?

Seriously, this guy is the worst kind of wanker: an obscure, self-important dipshit who will never accomplish anything as good as anything as Sgt. Pepper in his entire life.

Tjinder Singh is a total fuckhead too. Before "reviewing" an album, it's a good idea to research the band's history if you're going to make comments that aren't about the actual music. Even the most ill-informed Floyd fan should be aware of the fact that the Floyd became "rich rock stars" as a result of DSOTM. They were just another working band before it came out. So there's no special irony in the writing of the song Money.

Assholes like this are the reason Frank Zappa said that rock critics are "people who can't write, doing interviews with people who can't think, in order to prepare articles for people who can't read." And these people don't even have that excuse, because they actually have musical careers of their own (well, somewhat). They know what it's like to be negatively critiqued. Fucking schmucks.

Okay, then I'll say it. Billy Childish is a complete idiot, a total douchebag, and couldn't be more wrong.

Really? Is Helter Skelter music hall? How about Polythene Pam? The Ballad of John and Yoko?

Seriously, this guy is the worst kind of wanker: an obscure, self-important dipshit who will never accomplish anything as good as anything as Sgt. Pepper in his entire life.

Tjinder Singh is a total fuckhead too. Before "reviewing" an album, it's a good idea to research the band's history if you're going to make comments that aren't about the actual music. Even the most ill-informed Floyd fan should be aware of the fact that the Floyd became "rich rock stars" as a result of DSOTM. They were just another working band before it came out. So there's no special irony in the writing of the song Money.

Assholes like this are the reason Frank Zappa said that rock critics are "people who can't write, doing interviews with people who can't think, in order to prepare articles for people who can't read." And these people don't even have that excuse, because they actually have musical careers of their own (well, somewhat). They know what it's like to be negatively critiqued. Fucking schmucks.

He's not that obscure, just because you haven't heard of him doesn't make him obscure.

The irony that he refers to is not that they are writing a song about money when they have money - as that actually isn't ironic - the irony is that the song (as part of the album) made them money - which is ironic. Does that make more sense now?

Slow down; read it all through again with a cup of tea or something; and relax.

The main problem with Sgt Pepper is Sir Paul's maudlin obsession with his own self-importance and Dickensian misery. (Paul McCartney is the dark one in the Beatles, not John Lennon, because he writes such depressing, scary music.) It's like a Sunday before school that goes on forever. It's too dark and twisted for anyone with any light in their life. Then again, when he tries to be upbeat, it rings false - like having a clown in the room.

I agree with the sentiment, although not the negativity.

I've always thought Paul was a very sad individual. His best songs (For no One, Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday) have a sense of melancholy that will overwhelm

He's not that obscure, just because you haven't heard of him doesn't make him obscure.

I'm guessing Billy Childish is a lot more well-known in the UK than in the US. I used to actually have quite a few Milkshakes records which have somehow disappeared from my possession over time. q

edit: i'm going to leave the "q" in there at the end because it looks mysterious.

I'm guessing Billy Childish is a lot more well-known in the UK than in the US. I used to actually have quite a few Milkshakes records which have somehow disappeared from my possession over time. q

edit: i'm going to leave the "q" in there at the end because it looks mysterious.

he's better known for his association with tracey emin, who is very famous in the uk (he went out with her for a long time in the late 1980's); i don't know how well known he is around the entire country, but i am from the same county as him so he's well known around where i live, along with holly golightly (another musician, who played on the white stripes album "elephant") who's from the same area. he's been painting, writing, making films, and making music for years. he was friends with jack white for some time, but i like what made them fall out (from wikipedia):

He and Jack White fell out in March 2006. Childish criticised White in the US GQ magazine: "They don't have a good sound ... Jack's half into the sound and music, but then he wants to be a pop star as well, so you've got a big problem." White responded on the Stripes' website, accusing Childish of plagiarism and of being "the bitter garage rocker". Childish wrote an open letter to the NME saying White was jealous because he had "a bigger collection of hats, a better moustache ... and a fully developed sense of humour".

really he's kind of a british eccentric, and there are only a few left now - so i like him a fair bit (more as a person than for his actual work, i must be honest).

I'm going to assume the q was a nod in my direction. Thanks. :cheers

Reading this whole pissing match about who sucks and who sucks more for thinking someone else sucks, I'm reminded of the fact that I really wish I wasn't so musically-untalented that I could finally run out and start that Fugazi-meets-Grateful-Dead band I've always had floating around in my head, because I'd just love to read the reviews. Really. Just thought I'd share that. Carry on.

most of those were fun to read. The hysteria over VU & Nico never made much sense to me, but without it i might not have discovered the band. to me it serves as a necessary exaggeration to keep their name alive. also thanks to Wayne Coyne for confirming what I've always felt about Nevermind.

I agree. Sgt Pepper was one of the first concept albums, and its ambition in broadening the scope of pop music to include art, modern and cross cultural references has to be applauded. But it is very much of its time and if you listen to it today, and you weren't growing up or around to appreciate its surroundings or impact, then, whisper it, the songs aren't that good. At least they're nowhere near as good as those on Rubber Soul, Revolver and The White Album.

If I may quote:

All them rock-n-roll writers is the worst kind of sleaze

Selling Punk like some new kind of English disease

Is that the wave of the future?

Aww, spare me please

and

Fuck all them writers with their pen in their hand

I will be more specific so they might understand

They can all kiss my ass because it's so grand

They best just stay away

Hey, hey, hey

----FZ

For the most part I enjoyed the reviews and found about half of them pretty even-handed (whether I agreed with them or not) but the other half come across as more personal attacks rather than just giving an opinion on the music. The one review that I laughed at the most was the attack on the Doors because it read as an almost point-by-point reiteration of that scene in "Almost Famous" with Lester Bangs going on about Jim Morrison. At least have your own opinion Craig Finn.

"...she gave good dirge." nice. :thumbup

The one review that I laughed at the most was the attack on the Doors because it read as an almost point-by-point reiteration of that scene in "Almost Famous" with Lester Bangs going on about Jim Morrison. At least have your own opinion Craig Finn.

I thought of that too. "Give me The Guess Who!!"

I agree. Sgt Pepper was one of the first concept albums, and its ambition in broadening the scope of pop music to include art, modern and cross cultural references has to be applauded. But it is very much of its time and if you listen to it today, and you weren't growing up or around to appreciate its surroundings or impact, then, whisper it, the songs aren't that good. At least they're nowhere near as good as those on Rubber Soul, Revolver and The White Album.

I was born roughly 20 years after the album came out and I still think there are lots of great songs on Sgt. Pepper. But I agree with your last statement for the most part.

I've never got the cult of Tupac. Sure, he was in a lot of pain but he never said anything particularly clever - Notorious B.I.G. was far superior.

Sorry, sir. I (not so) humbly disagree.