Led Zeppelin reunion??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another board there is is a discussion of their 85 Live Aid performance, also someone uploaded it on Dime today/yesterday - what a train wreck. Granted they hadn't played together since Bonham's death.

I never even gotten around to listen to or download their 2007 O2 Arena show, but I am glad there are a crap load of older bootlegs out there.

all you need to do is see what plant is wearing in the performance. oh man! the o2 shows pretty great. the playing is spot on and the vibe is there. best they could sound now. the keys are lower which gives many of the songs a fresher, dark sound.

back to fashion and production...it's easy to forget that these guys were at least in part products of their time. they just came around when EVERYTHING was cool. the fact they jumped into the 80s hook line and sinker proves this. they didn't think about what they were wearing in the 70s or the 80s. they wore what someone advised them was cool. same with production. unfortunately, i think it's ruined the legacy of some artists. Yes comes to mind. they maintained a good live show over the decades, but damn, they have put out so many horrible albums.

I agree with you completely, and posted about this a while back in another thread.

Let's see, legacy of the 80s: that would be Blondie, Pat Benatar, Styx, Kansas, Foreigner...mainly acts that have either gone belly up or now play at state fairs.

Legacy of the 90s: probably Pearl Jam, a band I always thought was pretty boring when I heard them, and never understood the appeal of. I finally saw Eddie Vedder on TV after they had been popular a couple of years, and thought, Oh, I get it. He's a poor man's Jim Morrison! :lol

yeah, my point was that everything seemed to converge in the 70s only to converge into neon plastic in the 80s and then blackness in the 90s. i'm glad for the outliers though...wilco, etc. but pop music blows and has blown for 3 decades. U2 is the final gasp.

oh, and mountain song is bad ass. good point jff.

Led Zeppelin - 1975 Previously Unknown Physical Graffiti LP

A previously undocumented variation of Led Zeppelin's album PHYSICAL GRAFFITI, customized by Atlantic/Swan Song Records circa 1975 for now defunct Chicago Radio Station WMET. This was discovered in the collection of the former editor of music industry trade publication RADIO & RECORDS (read the complete story on our blog at www.recordmecca.blogspot.com ). The letter of authenticity, from former R&R Editor and USA Today Music Editor Ken Barnes gives the short version, and reads: "To whom it may concern: This letter is to authenticate an original, sealed copy of Led Zeppelin’s album Physical Graffiti with the call letters of Chicago radio station WMET and alternate artwork visible in the windows of the album cover. I have had this album in my collection for decades, and in fact until Jeff Gold found it among the other Zeppelin albums (mostly promo copies) in my 30,000 LP collection, I never noticed this was in any way different from the regular issue of the album. I very likely obtained this album while working at the radio industry trade publication Radio & Records, around the time the album was released. I was an editor at Radio & Records and received thousands of promotional albums from record companies, while working at R&R and writing about music for various publications over the years, most recently as music editor for USA Today. Sincerely, Ken Barnes." Barnes is pictured in the 3rd photo, holding the album just after its discovery. Sealed, mint condition, and guaranteed authentic with no time limit. The only known example of this Led Zeppelin rarity.

Price: $5000. US

857_med_1.jpg

$5000 seems excessive to me.

• 4 months later...

There's another new soundboard out there:

Led Zeppelin

1975-03-17

Seattle Center Coliseum

Seattle, WA

soundboard

EVSD "Haven't We Met Somewhere Before?"

101. Rock And Roll

102. Sick Again

103. Over The Hills And Far Away

104. In My Time Of Dying

105. The Song Remains The Same

106. The Rain Song

107. Kashmir

201. No Quarter

202. Trampled Underfoot

203. Moby Dick

301. Dazed And Confused

302. Stairway To Heaven

303. Whole Lotta Love

304. Black Dog

There's another new soundboard out there:

Out where?

You can also find it in a few other places, but I would go for the remastered and speed corrected version by dadgad. It is the torrent put up on Dime a Dozen today. I am sure it will get spread around from there.

My hat is off to the guy who paid a bunch of money for the silver bootleg, and then ripped the discs and put the files out there. I figure we are lucky that we don't have to shell out a bunch of bread in order to acquire Wilco live shows.

My hat is off to the guy who paid a bunch of money for the silver bootleg, and then ripped the discs and put the files out there. I figure we are lucky that we don't have to shell out a bunch of bread in order to acquire Wilco live shows.

I agree. I wonder who hates torrent site more - the bootleggers or the artist? I have no idea what an original bootleg cost these days. I remember when I was in about 8th grade or so (1986) and bought a Stones bootleg for about $20 or so. I didn't know shit about bootlegs and when I brought it home and listened to it is sounded pretty horrible. I think it was an 81 Meadowlands audience show. I haven't bought one since. Of course it had a "No Return Sticker", which I don't blame the record store for.

I agree. I wonder who hates torrent site more - the bootleggers or the artist? I have no idea what an original bootleg cost these days. I remember when I was in about 8th grade or so (1986) and bought a Stones bootleg for about $20 or so. I didn't know shit about bootlegs and when I brought it home and listened to it is sounded pretty horrible. I think it was an 81 Meadowlands audience show. I haven't bought one since. Of course it had a "No Return Sticker", which I don't blame the record store for.

I never got into buying boots either. I have two that I can think of - a Hendrix album (Midnight Lightning II), and a pressing of the Led Zeppelin BBC transcription disc that has been around for years. I got them both for 5 bucks, due to a record store going out of business in the early 1990s around here when I live.

I think those LZ boots run 75-100 bucks. There are those who like to collect them, which I can understand, but it's not something I am into.

It is still amazing to me that someone hung on to a cassette of a LZ soundboard for all these decades, and then (presumably) sold it to a bootleg company for a bunch of money.

I figure they do get pissed - but what are they going to do. I would think they would know by now that that time between the release, and the time it hits the web is pretty short these days.

It is still amazing to me that someone hung on to a cassette of a LZ soundboard for all these decades, and then (presumably) sold it to a bootleg company for a bunch of money.

All the speculation of who is the person who releases these soundboards is always fun to read.

• 1 year later...

216964_379888095416968_776403993_n.jpg

Official Led Zeppelin Facebook page posts cryptic image, leaves fans guessing

SEPTEMBER 8, 2012BY: BRIGETTE SULLIVAN

examiner.com

Today, the official Led Zeppelin page on Facebook has posted a cryptic image, leaving fans, critics, and music enthusiasts the world over wondering what it means. The simple "Five" written in the same font as the band's "Houses of the Holy" album cover could mean anything.

As fans of Led Zeppelin know, their first four albums were simply titled "Led Zeppelin One", "Led Zeppelin Two", "Led Zeppelin Three" and "Led Zeppelin Four", although written in Roman numerals. Will they actually record new music for "Led Zeppelin Five"? However, the was already a fifth album: "Houses of the Holy".

Will they be releasing a compilation album of unreleased tracks? Perhaps there's a DVD of concert footage (perhaps of their O2 Arena reunion concert) or a documentary in the works in time for holiday shopping? Will they go on tour, as so many "we'll never tour together again" bands have acquiesced to for large paychecks?

http://www.examiner.com/article/official-led-zeppelin-facebook-page-posts-cryptic-image-leave-fans-guessing

That's what it has to be - unless it's some sort of live vault release. Jimmy likes to say there is nothing to release, but that is not true.

I still with they would re-master the cds. I'm not all that fond of the sound of the studio boxset. I bought that almost 15 years ago.

news is getting bigger...

amazon has this: http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Good-Times-Bad/dp/B0093GJ5DU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1347288263&sr=1-1&keywords=led+zeppelin+good+times+bad+times

but this sounds better:

REPORT: LED ZEPPELIN TO RELEASE 2007 REUNION GIG IN NOVEMBER

9/10/2012

Industry sources are saying that a Led Zeppelin double-CD / double-DVD of their 2007 reunion show in London will be released in November and titled, Led Zeppelin: Live At London's O2 Arena. On Friday (September 7th), the band posted "hello" on it's Facebook page, followed on Saturday by "Five" in the band's classic font, followed on Sunday by "Four" -- leading some fans to believe that an official announcement is coming on Wednesday (September 12th).

With the entire rock world going insane with "Zeppelin" fever in the weeks and months following the reunion show, Robert Plant -- who was the lone hold-out on any future Zeppelin gigs -- was asked how he stayed calm with all the excitement centered around the band: "Well, I don't think anybody actually asked that question, to be perfectly frank -- apart from the media. So, here I am, just doing what I do."

Jason Bonham, the son of late Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, who was behind the kit for the performance at London's O2 Arena, told us he's eager to own some sort of document of the event: "I know it probably was recorded, I mean there was cameras there and everything, but I'm not too sure of what the process is there. Me, personally, I'd love to get a, y'know, a version of it that I could -- you know, stay with me forever. It'll be there forever in my mind, but to get a chance to watch it back is sometimes only when you realize what you've done."

Back in 2008, Jimmy Page spoke about the O2 gig to Uncut, saying, "It was recorded, but we didn't go in with the express purpose of making a DVD to come out at Christmas, or whatever. We haven't seen the images or investigated the multi-tracks. It's feasible that it might come out at some distant point, but it'll be a massive job to embark on."

Led Zeppelin's set list on December 10th, 2007 at London's O2 Arena:

"Good Times, Bad Times"

"Ramble On"

"Black Dog"

"In My Time Of Dying"

"For Your Life" (live debut)

"Trampled Underfoot"

"Nobody's Fault But Mine"

"No Quarter"

"Since I've Been Lovin' You"

"Dazed And Confused"

"Stairway To Heaven"

"The Song Remains the Same"

"Misty Mountain Hop"

"Kashmir"

Encores:

"Whole Lotta Love"

"Rock And Roll"

The boot I have of the o2 show has feedback in Plant's mic for the first half I'd say and it's really bad. Since that obviously came through the board and must be on the master, how in the heck can they mix that out?

Yeah, there is some pretty horrendous microphonic feedback for the first few songs, as well as JP being too low in the mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTNQVijx8YE&feature=plcp

Definitely the O2.