Led Zeppelin reunion??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard a few live versions of Achilles, and I have to say it's one of the rare tunes that is just better in the studio. Because of the overdubs I guess. It's just perfection.

I've heard a few live versions of Achilles, and I have to say it's one of the rare tunes that is just better in the studio. Because of the overdubs I guess. It's just perfection.

I tend to agree with that although when they killed it live the KILLED IT (see the Copenhagen 2 and Knebworth 1 from '79 as well as Frankfurt from '80)

It's those DRUMS!

hey guys, here's something I wrote about the new Zeppelin CD/DVD set.... please click and share if you dig it!

Why the New Zeppelin Set is Better Than a Reunion Tour:
http://bumslogic.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/celebrating-zeppelin/

led-zep-art.jpg

oh, and also... i really LOVE the Presence album. of course i celebrate the whole catalog in general. might choose Physical Graffiti if i HAD to pick just one album... but yea, i came to presence many many years later. underrated gem.

hey guys, here's something I wrote about the new Zeppelin CD/DVD set.... please click and share if you dig it!

led-zep-art.jpg

oh, and also... i really LOVE the Presence album. of course i celebrate the whole catalog in general. might choose Physical Graffiti if i HAD to pick just one album... but yea, i came to presence many many years later. underrated gem.

Presence is way underrated... the "wheelchair album".... love it to bits

led-zep-art.jpg

It's a nice review.  While there are some very nice bits in this show, especially that reworked version of 'Ramble On', it felt like something was missing.  After going back and watching the Led Zeppelin DVD from 2003, the reunion show felt, well, too rehearsed.  The band played with passion, but not with the intensity of their earlier years.  I don't know if this is because they had such a short amount of time to prepare, Robert's hesitance to have anything to do with a Led Zeppelin reunion, it just was missing some spontaneous moments.  For being a celebration of their boss, they seemed like they were hanging around waiting for the catered party to start.  So in that sense, I'm not too disappointed there's no reunion tour.  If the other members want to do something beyond Zep fine, but don't call it Led Zeppelin.  I know that at one point, Jones, Page, and Bonham were auditioning replacement singers.  I think they should have started and ended that audition call with Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes.  1)I remember hearing that Black Crowes live CD that was released with Jimmy Page and I initially thought it was an archival release of a Led Zeppelin show.  The dude has a range similar to Plant but is assured enough of his own success to not become a carbon copy of Robert Plant.  That leads to no. 2 2)Robinson has experience working with Page on that collaboration all those years ago and has written original material in his own right that is far above the stinkers that groups like Aerosmith have produced in the last 20 years.  So if this new group wanted to do an album of original material, they could.  3)With the Black Crowes not together at the moment, Robinson is free at the moment, somewhat.  Yeah, I know he has his new group, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood.  However, if Jimmy Page came calling, I would think he might put that group on hiatus as well.  4)Robinson has experience with stretching out material during shows, just as Led Zeppelin had done in the old days, so he could work comfortably well in that environment.  Now maybe he did audition and maybe it didn't work out.  Maybe Page did ask and he turned it down.   But it is certainly food for thought.  If that didn't work out, Dave Grohl could be another appropriate choice, but not necessarily an obvious choice.  

That was a pretty convincing case for Chris you put up there. Even if it has no chance. 

I'd rather see Cornell be given a shot instead of Grohl though. That "Whole Lotta Love" he did with Carlos sounded pretty fine to me. My son informs me that Cornell can't 'hit it' like he used to, but WTF we're 'speculating' here anyway. :yes

That was a pretty convincing case for Chris Robinson you put up there. Even if it has no chance. 

Yeah, CR is too busy not singing with The Faces! He would be a great choice in either band, I'd say!

Rather solidly sourced rumors are flying that the Crowes are doing shows in 2013.

I've always thought Paul Rodgers would be a good fit.

Bad Company was on the Swan Song label, so there is probably some good will there. He was in THE FIRM with Page.

And the MoFo Can still sing.

Celebration Day - GET IT. It had no reason to be that good, but it was.

I'll respectfully disagree with jff - I thought Jason drove the entire thing, very impressed with the way he handled the tempo changes. JPJ is as professional as ever - he seems to have not lost a step. Jimmy HAS lost a step, but he still played remarkably well. Robert...well..for much of the show he seemed like he was saving himself for something later - solo gigs later on down the road? I don't know. Every once in awhile you'd get a glimpse of the Golden God, sigh.

I was so stoked to hear "For Your Life" live. Never heard that one live before.

Celebration Day - GET IT. It had no reason to be that good, but it was.

I'll respectfully disagree with jff - I thought Jason drove the entire thing, very impressed with the way he handled the tempo changes.

Not saying he's a bad drummer, but he is physically very robotic.  I'm basing that only on the Stairway performance with Heart.  I haven't seen Celebration Day yet.

Yeah, I didn't think so. I thought it came off well. Jimmy was REALLY working on that tune (and others). You could see him just digging in, trying to do those riffs - many of which were about a half dozen overdubs on the record.

The setlist represented a nice overview of their career imo. I found it odd that ITTOD was not represented, which sort of reinforces my feelings that, if there is a "weak" Zep record, that one is it.

And before I get nuked on here let me state that it's NOT a bad LP, it just isn't quite up to the impossibly high standards of the others.

I was so stoked to hear "For Your Life" live. Never heard that one live before.

That was a definite surprise.  My and the guy I was with just kind of looked at each other like "is that what I think it is?"  I liked that they were willing to take some chances and new just do a safe "Hits" show.