Led Zeppelin reunion??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, that's nothing new.

Willie Dixon waited until 1985 to sue them over Whole Lotta Love (You Need Love.)

I think Jake Holmes also tried to sue them over Dazed and Confused a while back.

Heard an interesting story about LZ opening for the band Spirit on their first U.S. tour. Spirit had a tune off an album that they played live often called "Taurus". That Spirit tune sounds waaaaay like the chords in "Stairway To Heaven" that coincidentally came out an year or two later. One of R&R's biggest hit single. 

Randy California, I love that name.

I completely forgot, until I read this, that I saw Page on the Outrider tour. That was a good band. I do remember seeing The Firm on the tour for Mean Business in '86. And that was not so good. Lots of starts/stops at the beginnings of songs and some sloppy playing. I thought Jimmy looked pretty wasted.

Saw that tour at Rosemont, front row. What a thrill, Jimmy literally 10 feet away. He did look a little pasty but I thought that was from the junk. My memory recalls it being a good show. Jimmy even whipped out his bow.

Randy California, I love that name.

If you ever get the chance, check out Randy's LP "Kaptain Kopter & The Fabulous Twirly Birds" from the early 70s. It's heavily influenced by Hendrix, in a good way imo.

California allegedly drowned while saving his son from a huge wave in Hawaii. The boy survived Randy didn't. 

If you ever get the chance, check out Randy's LP "Kaptain Kopter & The Fabulous Twirly Birds" from the early 70s. It's heavily influenced by Hendrix, in a good way imo.

California allegedly drowned while saving his son from a huge wave in Hawaii. The boy survived Randy didn't. 

Will do, thanks. I'm a big fan of Spirit's "Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus".

About his death, at least he went out in a noble fashion.

If you happen to have some original vinyl pressing and later cd copies - take a look at some of the credits that did change. Also - the same with some Rolling Stones records.

There is also a song by Moby Grape called Never that was most likely the "inspiration" for Since I've Been Loving You. 

I don't think I recall hearing you mention the 77 tour before.  I think if I ever had the chance - I would have wanted to see them in 1971/1972/1973.

the 21st june 77 show is considered as one their best. recording quality is excellent for an audience tape and they played their arses off after a dissapointing san diego show a couple of days earlier. it was the last chapter the 70s zep. knebworth 79 and the 80 tour showed a stripped back and more modern sound (with more normal clothing!)

thats the one a-man!. he did all the shows in the LA run that week. 23rd (for badgeholders only) is just as good. keith moon joined bonham on the drums during moby dick. even plant had a go at them

That's a Mike Millard tape. I pretty sure I have that boot - Listen To This Eddie.

Is that the guy who always used a wheelchair to get his recording gear into the Forum and turned into a recluse in later years?

Speaking of bootlegs, I am waiting on the below to get in from my library system - heard good things about it.

619705.jpg

I had that book once upon a time. I sent it to someone on here and never got it back. It's a great book.

Is that the guy who always used a wheelchair to get his recording gear into the Forum and turned into a recluse in later years?

Yes

this might be the final nail in the coffin:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimmy-page-fed-up-with-robert-plant/

In a new interview, Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page says he’s tired of singer Robert Plant “playing games” regarding a reunion tour for the surviving members of the legendary group.

When asked by the New York Times if he was eager to hit the road after spending three years locked up in a studio remastering and expanding Led Zeppelin’s nine studio albums for the massive re-release campaign which kicks off next month, Page emphatically answered, “Absolutely, absolutely. I definitely want to play live.”

Which brought up the next logical question — would Plant and bassist John Paul Jones be a part of those plans? And that’s where the guitar hero let out a little steam. Page began by bringing up a February 2013 interview where the singer indicated he might be willing to take a break from his successful solo career for a 2014 Zeppelin reunion.

That offerarrow-10x10.png would seem to be off the table now, with Plant about to release another solo album, scheduling a summer-long tour with his new band the Sensational Space Shifters — and most damningly, declaring himself not “bored” or willing to be “part of a jukebox.”

This clearly doesn’t sit well with Page. “I was told last year that Robert Plant said he is doing nothing in 2014,” he told the Times, “and what do the other two guys think? Well, he knows what the other guys think. Everyone would love to play more concerts for the band. He’s just playing games, and I’m fed up with it, to be honest with you. I don’t sing, so I can’t do much about it. It just looks so unlikely, doesn’t it?”

But don’t worry, it looks like Page will simply hit the stage with somebody else. “I’ve still got a twinkle in my eye. I can still play… I’m not devoid of ideas. So let’s hope that sometime in the next year, I’m seen to be playing out there. Because that’s the only thing that’s been missing.”

See? I was right about Plant being bored.

It is pretty weird to see Jimmy Page on a late night talk show talking about re-mastering.

I am guessing Robert and John Paul Jones are not willing to do any press for the new re-releases.

he's doing a few rounds. i saw him on the fallon show yesterday (apparently it was heavily edited), so maybe wait for some outtakes to leak. just saw the link below as well. the other two havent said a word about the remasters. the clips should be on youtube

here's one i saw recently (same old news though)

http://www.gigwise.com/news/91231/jimmy-page-discusses-future-plans-to-tour-

It is pretty weird to see Jimmy Page on a late night talk show talking about re-mastering.

I am guessing Robert and John Paul Jones are not willing to do any press for the new re-releases.

I would think from a finance perspective, Page would have the most to gain, so it would make sense for him to go out an shill the sets.

He's talking specifically about being not bored enough to do a tour. THAT NIGHT AT O2 WAS MAGIC AND DON'T YOU EVER FORGET IT.

You know, I listened to it on Spotify the other night and it was better than I recalled it, but I still think Robert's heart wasn't in it.

You know, I listened to it on Spotify the other night and it was better than I recalled it, but I still think Robert's heart wasn't in it.

You know, I would tend to agree with this assessment. It seemed to me to be like he was picking and choosing when he wanted to hit THE NOTE. I mean, damn Robert, it's one night, not a whole tour, you'll have plenty of time to get the voice back in shape for whatever the fuck your next 'project' is going to be. Leave everything on the stage when it's over, man. 

I was mightily impressed by everyone else. They WANTED to do it. I don't think Plant really did.

It's gotta be tough for singers, some of those lyrics were pretty bad, a singer can't really change the lyrics but a guitar player can change what he plays as long as he hits the key riffs and licks.

It is tough for singers. I spent a few hours earlier this year with an old buddy who was rehearsing a band. He had invited me to come over and sing some songs with them. Every single song they wanted to play was a classic rock tune that had originally been delivered by a screamer in his 20s or maybe 30s. I'm talking "You Shook Me All Night Long," a Van Halen style version of "You Really Got Me," etc., etc. I tried to get them to play a few things I could do in a lower register, like "The Boys are Back in Town" (inspired by Wilco's recent cover), "Gimme Three Steps," and so on, but they just kept coming up with more songs with high pitched vocals. After a few rehearsals with them, I bailed on it completely. It just wasn't fun trying to clamp down on my balls and blow out my vocal cords while all these guys were simply grinning and playing instruments.

It's gotta be tough for singers, some of those lyrics were pretty bad, a singer can't really change the lyrics but a guitar player can change what he plays as long as he hits the key riffs and licks.

maybe robert wasnt into it, but most of the O2 tunes were played a semi-tone lower than original versions (all instruments, apart from drums obviously), so that plant could hit the notes. that's why it sounded better than any of their other reunions of the 80s and 90s. instead of using a cap, they used "de-capo") :)

By contrast, I saw Plant and Page twice back in the '90s in both their full-on North African-esque model and the more stripped-down Zeppish model and Plant kicked ass.