Led Zeppelin reunion??

I think I agree with mountain bed on Jason's drumming, particularly on the Celebration Day performance. I don't see robotic or stiff, I hear him grooving and drawing on his studied and encyclopedic knowledge of his dad's performances, both on record and live. I also see him having the best. frickin'. night of his life and I found that very very moving. I have also dug Jason' playing in his stint with Foreigner, he drove that band very well, too.

I'm also a huge fan of Michael Lee's drumming on the Page/Plant tours in the 90s. I love how passionately he played and how hard he hit with those two trees of drumsticks he wielded. Its hypothetical, of course, since Lee died some years ago, but if I could choose, I'd be hard pressed to decide between Jason and Michael as to who I would prefer to sit on Bonham's drumstool in a Zep reunion. Jason, being in the family, absolutely deserved to have that night. I think I might have preferred Lee's drumming just by a tiny bit.

Thoughts?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I agree with mountain bed on Jason's drumming, particularly on the Celebration Day performance. I don't see robotic or stiff, I hear him grooving and drawing on his studied and encyclopedic knowledge of his dad's performances, both on record and live. I also see him having the best. frickin'. night of his life and I found that very very moving. I have also dug Jason' playing in his stint with Foreigner, he drove that band very well, too.

I'm also a huge fan of Michael Lee's drumming on the Page/Plant tours in the 90s. I love how passionately he played and how hard he hit with those two trees of drumsticks he wielded. Its hypothetical, of course, since Lee died some years ago, but if I could choose, I'd be hard pressed to decide between Jason and Michael as to who I would prefer to sit on Bonham's drumstool in a Zep reunion. Jason, being in the family, absolutely deserved to have that night. I think I might have preferred Lee's drumming just by a tiny bit.

Thoughts?

I thought Michael Lee was perfect with Page/Plant.

Two new soundboards have made their way to Dime a Dozen:

Led Zeppelin
Live at the Capitol Centre
Landover, Maryland
USA
25th May 1977

Led Zeppelin
Live at the Capitol Centre
Landover, Maryland
USA

30th May 1977

Disc 1

01. The Song Remains The Same
02. The Rover / Sick Again
03. Nobody's Fault But Mine
04. In My Time Of Dying
05. Since I've Been Loving You
06. No Quarter

Disc 2

01. Ten Years Gone
02. The Battle Of Evermore
03. Going To california
04. Black Country Woman
05. Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp
06. White Summer
07. Black Mountain Side
08. Kashmir

Disc 3

01. Out On The Tiles / Moby Dick
02. Guitar Solo
03. Achilles Last Stand
04. Stairway To Heaven
05. Whole Lotta Love
06. Rock And Roll

Just think - someone paid 250 bucks to get those out there.

That's odd: two shows 5 days apart at the same venue?

And 250 bucks - hey I love the band but that's extreme.

Those bootleg people sure don't have the scoop for long these days. I can only wonder how much they paid for the tapes someone has had since 1977.

They played 4 shows from the 25th through the 30th at the same place. (I think that is right.)  The other two nights are already out there to be had.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't seen this posted before - didn't realize there were were any performances on the night of the Kennedy Center tributes.   Surprisingly moving version of the old warhorse by Ann and Nancy Wilson with the added bonus of Jason Bonham on drums.  Worth watching for the reaction of Plant, Page and Jones in the box seats - who are clearly moved.

‘Stairway to Heaven’ tribute at Kennedy Center Honors moves Robert Plant to tears

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/stairway_to_heaven_tribute_at_kennedy_center_honors_moves_robert_plant_to_t

Not really a big Zep fan (they were so overplayed on the radio where I grew up, I never felt the need to buy their records, because I knew so many songs word for word from the saturation), so I am kind of a fly in the ointment on ITTOD. I actually like Fool in the Rain and All My Love better than most of their other stuff. Go figure.

Not really a big Zep fan (they were so overplayed on the radio where I grew up, I never felt the need to buy their records, because I knew so many songs word for word from the saturation), so I am kind of a fly in the ointment on ITTOD. I actually like Fool in the Rain and All My Love better than most of their other stuff. Go figure.

Try 'hot dog' for a laugh and singalong from that album! :)

• 1 month later...

Well, I read the article, and then moved over to the "40 Best Zep Songs" thing. I shouldn't have done that. Jesus Christ, these lists...who in the fuck is in charge of this shit? No Achilles? REALLY? Deplorable. 

Well, I read the article, and then moved over to the "40 Best Zep Songs" thing. I shouldn't have done that. Jesus Christ, these lists...who in the fuck is in charge of this shit? No Achilles? REALLY? Deplorable. 

The Rain Song isn't even in the top ten. Unconscionable.

Zeppelin won't reunite, what Plant said in Australia about 2014 doesn't mean that the band would reform. Other than himself, who knows what the comment actually mean? 

If anybody remembers, Plant had previously said that in 2013 he would "chill for a while". What does that actually mean, when the man is actively touring and has a couple of new records up for release this year?

The two statements are kind of contradictory, it's either the reporters misquoting him or he's just speaking in code, but I would definitely rule out a reunion, Jones said in October, more or less, that "there isn't a band".

Yeah, I think its pretty unlikely that they will tour or do more shows, as much as I'd love that to happen, based on how damn great they were on the Celebration Day DVD.  Zeppelin sure does generate a lot of attention even from some comment in an interview.  People get fired up about this stuff, love them or hate them.

• 10 months later...

Jimmy had this to say recently:

Hello there and Happy New Year to you all. I hope you are enjoying the holidays.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for the support you've given the website.

It's good news for the New Year. The first of the Led Zeppelin releases - comprising of Led Zeppelin I, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III and their companion discs - will be released this year. I've also been working on some of my own material from the archives that will be unleashed in 2014.

Let The Good Times Roll!

That is true. It will be nice to have some good sounding LZ cds though. Or we hope, anyhow.

Really?  they've been remastered and re-released at least twice since the initial run the late 80s.  i hate to say it, but i think this new set of releases will be brickwalled to hell and back and the unreleased stuff will be received with a yawn.  the last round of remasters i remember jimmy saying there's nothing in the vaults.  no unreleased tracks or anything.  

If you dig around you can find some articles about the planned new boxsets.

We'll have to wait and see (hear) how they sound. Technology has come along from 1990 with regards to sound.

I bought The Complete Studio Recordings box a little over 16 years ago. And I have never cared much for the sound. I never owned the original cds - so I don't know how they sound. Before that, I had cassettes from the 1980s, and almost all original vinyl pressings. That is what I grew up with. I still have all of them.

I think the studio box from (The Complete Studio Recordings) (1993) is the only time they have been re-released. Unless you are talking about the box from 1990 of various songs, the two greatest hits cds or some sort of iTunes release. I am not familiar with the way those releases sound.