Led Zeppelin reunion??

I don't really mean that though. Thats been the case for a long time now. They, for the first time, just don't really seem like Led Zeppelin anymore. They way they answered the questions and everything really just made it seem like this was clearly the last hurrah, and now that it's being released on DVD, that it will close out the history of Zeppelin.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a few folks who were at the Celebration Day premiere in London on Friday night video'd the screen and have started uploading clips to Youtube. This has got me juiced for next Wednesday when I am seeing it at my local cinema (try and ignore the guys head in the row in front of the person filming!).

Looks like a few folks who were at the Celebration Day premiere in London on Friday night video'd the screen and have started uploading clips to Youtube. This has got me juiced for next Wednesday when I am seeing it at my local cinema (try and ignore the guys head in the row in front of the person filming!).

incredible how these videos look so real, like everything was happening in real time, a feeling that's actually reinforced by the presence of people moving and the cellphone screens. And yet the footage is 5 years old.

Holy fucking shit! Led Zeppelin DESTROYED IT in the Celebration Day film! How in the hell did they pull this off after so many years? (6 weeks of rehearsals might do it if you are Led Fucking Zeppelin) I had no idea they could muster such power at their ages, playing damn close to as strong and tight as they did at their peak. When has Page ever played with such clean dexterity? (12 string soloing on Song Remains the Same!!!!) JPJ and Jason Bonham locked into all those crazy odd time signatures and doing it with precision, power and flair. Very few signs of the detriments of age in Robert's voice and he's lost little in his frontman's charisma and lead singer prowess, at times urging the band to a new crescendo ("...push, push, push!"). Many arrangements were spot-on faithful to the studio versions (like the crescendo of Stairway To Heaven, particularly Page's solo), a great call to jettison the bloated overly long arrangements they succumbed to in the second part of the 70s. So many great moments, I can't wait to get this DVD and crank it again. It was so hard to not explode into a frenzy of air-drumming and rocking out in the theater. Lots of old folks who sat really still and just a few whoops and claps after songs at the one I attended. It was very hard to contain myself, just a super emotional night for me to see the kings of rock reclaim their throne once and for all.

My mind is blown and Led Zeppelin, for me, have permanently put to rest any notion that they are not far and away the greatest rock band that ever was or likely ever will be. They are so far ahead of any other band for me. Jason Bonham was killing the drums (In My Time Of Dying in the #3 song slot? Fucking amazing!) and it was clear to me he was having a peak moment in his life. His overwhelmed emotions were clearly visible on his face after Kashmir and at the end of the show with all the love he was receiving from Jimmy, Robert and JPJ and the crowd.

The only question I have is why did they wait so long to really reunite (Live Aid and Atlantic 40th Anniv. don't count as one-offs without much if any rehearsal) and why oh why did they not take this on even a short tour of the US? Regardless, I'm ecstatic with what I heard and saw last night. Long live the mighty, mighty, mighty LED ZEPPELIN!

Damn, Shug. I was planning on seeing it if it came around but now I really want to see it. Thanks for the post.

Yer welcome! You should go if you can. JPJ in the press conference made it sound like it was hard work and not that great, but it sure as hell didn't look that way. To me, itt was more like the old masters show everyone else how its done and leave the stage in a smoldering ruin. For Your Life was amazing and I don't even like that song (well, I do now!)

Of course the volume was set ridiculously low at first and a handful of us accosted the studio manager imploring him to turn it up. Once they did, it kicked in nicely, good sound.

Saw this in the theater last night and it was truly great. Tons of wonderful little moments and interplay among the band members. Just a very intense, committed performance all around. Page and Plant were technically sharper back in the '90s when they toured together, but the powerful sense of nostalgia ("let's be Led Zeppelin one more time") made this especially memorable. Some of the performances (like "Kashmir") hold up against any of the live performances from the '70s. And the editing and camerawork, while aggressive, were well done.

I'm glad it was a one-time gig, though. One night of nostalgia is special and fun, anything more and you're just milking it. And Plant in particular would never be able to muster that same intensity again and again. I like how they went out there, destroyed the place, and then put Led Zeppelin to bed forever.

I'd consider a full tour to be bringing the same joy you brought to thousands of fans on one night to many more thousands of fans in different cities, not "milking it". It probably would've been hard for them to get into that magical head and heart place night after night, but that's what professional musicians often try to do. I do agree that its awesome for them to go out on top, conquering heroes still after all these years. It was a virtually flawless performance and one that would be hard to replicate. And I'm very very grateful they've released it. That's a way of sharing that joy all over the world, although still not quite like being there in person.

Robert does not want to do that sort of music anymore. And I don't think he could do it for more than a show or two. Jimmy, John Paul, and Jason were actually working with a new singer. But that fell through. I'd say the only reason that did that show was due to the respect they had for Ahmet Ertegun, and for the education fund named after him.

You couldn't tell Robert does not want to play this kind of music when you see his beaming smile as his old band tore it up on stage one last time. He might not want to play it night after night, but he sure did on that one night!

We saw the movie last night, and I thought it was a great performance. We also had to "encourage" the theater people to crank it up, and they did. The musicianship was really, really good... better than I expected and just sharp as a tack all around. I thought JPJ looked a little winded / strained at times, but wow did he deliver. I usually can't sit through a whole concert film but this was really special start to finish.

I agree with the sentiment that it was a special one-night stand, and probably couldn't hold up all that magic on a tour. But Jimmy Page sure looked like he has a few more in him, that's for sure. Wow.

Well worth going to see.

We saw the movie last night, and I thought it was a great performance. We also had to "encourage" the theater people to crank it up, and they did. The musicianship was really, really good... better than I expected and just sharp as a tack all around. I thought JPJ looked a little winded / strained at times, but wow did he deliver. I usually can't sit through a whole concert film but this was really special start to finish.

I agree with the sentiment that it was a special one-night stand, and probably couldn't hold up all that magic on a tour. But Jimmy Page sure looked like he has a few more in him, that's for sure. Wow.

Well worth going to see.

Same thing happened at our theater but it was never really turned up to what it should have been....really too low for the whole night. Still a great performance. I am not sure I loved the staging with the large monitor that is at the back of the stage that shows them large video all night. I kow this staging is very popular now. Van Halen used the same sort of thing. I guess I just prefer the overhead "colored" lights and a backdrop that does not have video on it.

It was really Jason's night, they looked like they did it for him as much as they did it Amet, or at least that played into it.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2CD Music Only Edition (CD digipak)
  • 2CD + 1 DVD (two versions: CD size digipak or DVD size digipak)
  • 2CD + 1 Blu-Ray (two versions: CD size digipak or Blu-ray size digipak)
  • Deluxe Edition 2CD + 2 DVD (CD sized digipak – Bonus DVD features bonus material, including footage of the full dress rehearsal at Shepperton Studios)
  • Deluxe Edition 2CD + 1 Blu-Ray + 1 DVD (CD sized digipak – Bonus DVD features bonus material, including footage of the full dress rehearsal at Shepperton Studios)
  • Blu-Ray Audio release featuring high-resolution 48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound audio only (no video content)
  • 3LP 180g Vinyl (December 10th Release Date)

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/led-zeppelin-celebration-day-blu-ray-audio-and-deluxe-editions/

Thanks for this, the info on Amazon is lacking and I needed to tell someone which version to get me for Christmas!

Well - this is good news:

Jimmy Page Remastering Led Zeppelin Catalog

Jimmy Page is currently remastering Led Zeppelin’s entire catalog for a series of box set releases. The legendary guitarist recently told Mojo that every one of the band’s albums would be re-released, along with alternate versions of the their classic songs, starting in 2013.

Page told Mojo, “There are a number of Led Zeppelin projects that will come out next year because there are different versions of tracks that we have that can be added to the album so there will be box sets of material that will come out, starting next year …There will be one box set per album with extra music that will surface.”

I am a huge Zeppelin fan. But with that said, I have little interest in the pseudo reunion show(s). No Bonzo; No Zep IMHO

I am interested in some stuff from the vaults. There are tons of Zep boots out there, but I would love to hear some cleaned up alternate takes, unreleased, demos, etc.

Hammer of the Gods 35 years later on.