Led Zeppelin reunion??

— Plant is endlessly annoyed by his musical peers (he won't name names) who do little besides replay their old hits. "There's nothing worse than a bunch of jaded old farts, and that's a fact," he says. "People who have written their story — they've gotten to the point where nothing moves. I don't deal in that, and I don't deal with anybody who deals in that."

Copyright 2011 by Rolling Stone.com

I must admit, what he is saying about Zep is sensible but my God, if he 'named names' that would be one of most delicious things ever! Come on, Plant! Name those names!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plant is making a lot of sense there. As much as I'd like to see Zeppelin, you'd have to be pretty selfish to think he hasn't given them more than enough of his time in the post-Bonham years.

If Bonham were still alive, I'd probably feel very differently.

Although he may be annoyed at bands playing their old songs, he himself does just that. The songs may be re-worked, and sound different, but still, he plays the old songs. I saw him in 1990 and he was doing it then, but instead of going for a 50s country sound, it was all about sound effects and keyboards back then.

I know someone who is going to go see him this year. He is expecting a Zeppelin type rock show. I tried to explain to him that Plant does not play music that way anymore.

The band was actually set to carry on without him, but then, it fell apart just as it did in the 1980s when they attempted to get back together.

it's not hard to guess at some:

Of course. But hearing him say the names with derision and include specifics would blow guessing away.

If Bonham were still alive, there would likely have been several more Led Zeppelin albums. The band might even still be together, and putting out new music.

*sigh* If only...

I was thinking about that recently. But I was thinking the exact opposite: that the band was kinda petering out, or at least heading toward its demise.

Not that In Through the Out Door wasn't any good. (I love it, despite what a lot of folks think -- a great pop record.) It's just that with that album, the divides within the band were really starting to show. Jones' pop sensibilities vs. the harder-edged blues proclivities of Page and Bonzo...

Of course, there's no saying as to what would have actually happened, but I just get the sense, listening to the last record, that there wasn't much more gonna come out of that partnership.

Makes it no less sad.

But you know, what is and what should never be...

Of course. But hearing him say the names with derision and include specifics would blow guessing away.

The band he is really talking about in that statement is Led Zeppelin.

Personally, I would rather go see LZ play old songs than go see Robert Plant play a show full of cover songs and whatever else he does these days.

The only solo album of his I ever really cared for was Pictures At Eleven.

I figured that he was making a dig at his Zep-mates but I am sure that he was also alluding to other musical peers. No matter if you'd rather hear Zep rock out or hear a crack band do some cool covers, it would be hilarious if Plant just said it.

I figured that he was making a dig at his Zep-mates but I am sure that he was also alluding to other musical peers. No matter if you'd rather hear Zep rock out or hear a crack band do some cool covers, it would be hilarious if Plant just said it.

Led Zeppelin 2 is playing here next week...i saw the vocalist play w/ his regular band Yakuza last year.

might be good for a laugh or two

I was thinking about that recently. But I was thinking the exact opposite: that the band was kinda petering out, or at least heading toward its demise.

Not that In Through the Out Door wasn't any good. (I love it, despite what a lot of folks think -- a great pop record.) It's just that with that album, the divides within the band were really starting to show. Jones' pop sensibilities vs. the harder-edged blues proclivities of Page and Bonzo...

Of course, there's no saying as to what would have actually happened, but I just get the sense, listening to the last record, that there wasn't much more gonna come out of that partnership.

Makes it no less sad.

But you know, what is and what should never be...

That's probably true. By his own admission, Page was having trouble with heroin at the time that album was made, and didn't spend much time in the studio. If he had cleaned up (and Bonham had lived), maybe they could have carried on successfully. They would have had to tread lightly with the keyboards, though. That was the time when keyboards were starting to get really cheesy. If they had made one more keyboard based album the next year or two years later, it'd probably be remembered as a huge misstep in their career.

the interview i read, i thought Plant said "arse" instead of "pisser", cause it was blocked.

Page himself said that the next LZ album will be a lot more guitar-based, but it never happened obviously, even though i love In through out door. the outtakes that came out on Coda are much more guitar based. Carouselambra was meant to be a replacement of Achilles on the US tour of 1980.

what Plant needs to do is say a definate "NO" for a reunion instead of beating around the bush with his cryptic comments.

the interview i read, i thought Plant said "arse" instead of "pisser", cause it was blocked.

Page himself said that the next LZ album will be a lot more guitar-based, but it never happened obviously, even though i love In through out door. the outtakes that came out on Coda are much more guitar based. Carouselambra was meant to be a replacement of Achilles on the US tour of 1980.

what Plant needs to do is say a definate "NO" for a reunion instead of beating around the bush with his cryptic comments.

Are the Coda tunes from the late part of their career? I always assumed it was leftovers that spanned many years.

Are the Coda tunes from the late part of their career? I always assumed it was leftovers that spanned many years.

Ozone Baby, Darlene, and Wearing and Tearing came out of the In Through The Out Door sessions.

Ozone Baby, Darlene, and Wearing and Tearing came out of the In Through The Out Door sessions.

Awesome, thanks! I guess you can hear a more modern sound on Darlene. I can't remember how Ozone Baby goes, but I could see Wearing and Tearing being on anything fron Physical Graffiti (which itself is a mix of older and newer recordings) through their last album.

I'll have to listen to Coda this weekend.

If Bonham were still alive, there would likely have been several more Led Zeppelin albums. The band might even still be together, and putting out new music.

*sigh* If only...

well, zep's demise was kind of a mixed blessing. everyone from the 70s went on to make complete 80s throw away music. in through the out door was pointing in that direction. i'm sure they would've pulled it together for something akin to the page and plant album, BUT no one would want to hear that stuff. they'd be out there playing the hits, like plant thinks is so ridiculous. and concerning the names of those old farts, it's easy to guess. it's also a complete indictment of music of the last 30 years. we've always had one hit wonders, but not till the late 60s through the early 80s did rockers make music that really stood the test of time. they're the only stadium bands left. where's the legacy of the 80s and 90s? 'where is the Iron Man of today!' :)

Awesome, thanks! I guess you can hear a more modern sound on Darlene. I can't remember how Ozone Baby goes, but I could see Wearing and Tearing being on anything fron Physical Graffiti (which itself is a mix of older and newer recordings) through their last album.

There is talk that a lot of those other tracks had modern overdubs. Bonzo's Montreux was recorded in 1976, I think. I'd say I like the first side better than the second side. I still have the original pressing I bought when it came out in 1982. There are a lot of neat photos inside the album cover.

everyone knows that 'Walters Walk' had vocals overdubbed in 1982, but i'll never be convinced that the original basic track was recorded for the Houses of the holy album. to me it's from the Presence album. it might have been written back then, but i dont believe the recording is from 1972.

it sounds like they felt playing more after Achilles was recorded

poor tom is a III outtake i believe.

where's the legacy of the 80s and 90s? 'where is the Iron Man of today!' :)

I agree with you completely, and posted about this a while back in another thread.

Let's see, legacy of the 80s: that would be Blondie, Pat Benatar, Styx, Kansas, Foreigner...mainly acts that have either gone belly up or now play at state fairs.

Legacy of the 90s: probably Pearl Jam, a band I always thought was pretty boring when I heard them, and never understood the appeal of. I finally saw Eddie Vedder on TV after they had been popular a couple of years, and thought, Oh, I get it. He's a poor man's Jim Morrison! :lol

well, zep's demise was kind of a mixed blessing. everyone from the 70s went on to make complete 80s throw away music. in through the out door was pointing in that direction.

On another board there is is a discussion of their 85 Live Aid performance, also someone uploaded it on Dime today/yesterday - what a train wreck. Granted they hadn't played together since Bonham's death.

I never even gotten around to listen to or download their 2007 O2 Arena show, but I am glad there are a crap load of older bootlegs out there.

'where is the Iron Man of today!' :)

If by "the Iron Man of today", you mean a muscular, athemic song that beats you over the head, the last thing we had like that that was popular and good was probably Jane's Addictions' Mountain Song, or something

MSNBC has excerpts from a new Rolling Stone interview with Robert Plant:

Robert Plant: Led Zeppelin 'a bit of a pain in the pisser'

Musician opens up about Zeppelin reunion and failed Krauss follow-up

By Andy Greene

Rolling Stone

updated 1/6/2011 3:22:01 PM ET

In the new issue of Rolling Stone — on stands and online in the digital archives now (subscription required) — Robert Plant explains to writer Stephen Rodrick why he was unwilling to keep performing with Led Zeppelin after their 2007 reunion concert.

"It was an amazing evening," Plant says. "The preparations for it were fraught and intense, but the last rehearsal was really, really good, for all that it represented and all that we were trying to capture. But I've gone so far somewhere else that I almost can't relate to it...It's a bit of a pain in the pisser to be honest. Who cares? I know people care, but think about it from my angle — soon, I'm going to need help crossing the street."

Other highlights from the piece:

— Plant recently flew to Morocco and recreated a legendary trip he went on with Jimmy Page in 1978 where the duo wrote "Kashmir." "I wanted to go back and take that road," Plant says. "It just heads all the way down the coast. It was f---ing amazing."

Copyright 2011 by Rolling Stone.com

Trip had to be in like 74-75 because Kashmir came out in 1975.

If by "the Iron Man of today", you mean a muscular, athemic song that beats you over the head, the last thing we had like that that was popular and good was probably Jane's Addictions' Mountain Song, or something

possibly Helmet's "Unsung" as well, though that was unusually melodic for that band.

I dig playing "Mountain Song" on guitar hero. :D