Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rumspringa: To Be or Not to Be Amish

by Tom Shachtman

Amish Enterprise: From Plows to Profits

by Donald B. Kraybill and Steven M. Nolt

The Amish and the State

by Martin E. Marty and Donald B. Kraybill

On the Backroad to Heaven: Old Order Hutterites, Mennonites, Amish, and Brethren

by Donald B. Kraybill, Carl Desportes Bowman

Horse-and-Buggy Mennonites: Hoofbeats of Humility in a Postmodern World

by Donald B. Kraybill and James P. Hurd

Damn fine flick, that.

I think it is sad. As I was saying to The Owl - that film reminds me somewhat of what happened to the Catholic school kids who went to my high school - they went nuts with their newly found so-called freedom.

I don't much care for the JC deal - but their work ethic is amazing.

That scene where the kid is freaking out on meth thinking he's about to get shot is awful.

Since I'm close to hijacking:

duncesuk.jpg

Gonna try this again.

I have never read the other book that dude wrote - The Neon Bible.

I was given Confederacy as a gift - I haven't made it through 40 pages, over two tries.

I have owned it since it was published - early 1990s? - I think I have read it a few times.

I haven't heard of that title....good?

I wish I could find a way to squeeze this one into this paper......if I have time I may peruse it.....I just got it as a gift and will likely read it over break. I got it on a recommendation from a fellow VCer....Loretta I think??

Borntobuy-border.jpg

I haven't heard of that title....good?

Good but painful. It's about girl bullying ("relational aggression") and how it's dismissed/encouraged by our society as "oh that's just girls being girls." Mixes actual women's stories with the author's research and thesis. Some of them are sooooo heartbreaking -- girls being bullied into submission by their peers at age 7, age 30, and every age in between. I think I've got it on my shelf if you'd like me to bring it this weekend.

OddGirlOut.jpg

over the next two weeks, I will be plodding through these books for a paper I have to write....

98012.gif

9780415165631.jpg

006097527X.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_V44639017_AA240_SH20_.jpg

51SMC7WT31L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

and then.....a month off!! fun reading time!

My guess, is that by the end of the month, you will posses a deep and thorough knowledge of depression and its