I got it on a recommendation from a fellow VCer....Loretta I think??
:yes

...and I've got Queens Bees and Odd Girl Out too. This "the disturbing lives of adolescent girls" genre is my bag.

Right now, I'm reading through the "God: WTF is that about?" genre:

prod_1034_Case-for-Creator-LARGE.jpg

41FVJ2T25YL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

41Q863XG1KL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

and cheating on those with this, which is insanely good (and actually loosely related to the others):

51F4cz7NH6L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...and I've got Queens Bees and Odd Girl Out too. This "the disturbing lives of adolescent girls" genre is my bag.

41FVJ2T25YL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

41Q863XG1KL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

and cheating on those with this, which is insanely good

If you haven

same here......it all started way back in my early college years with this one....

51M8KJ491SL.jpg

I read an interview with Mary Pipher recently. She is fabulous.

I also love feminist cultural criticism

298_bookpage.gif

511VH29H49L._SL210_.jpg

and probably one of my all time favorite books

14773537.JPG

Touche. :lol

it's a great book though - I read it last summer when it first came out. I finished it in a couple days and stayed up all night one evening to finish it.

If you are doing psychology stuff and are aiming your work towards kids I highly recommend any of the books by Torey Hayden. They are wonderful books and you learn a lot from the situations you read about.

41SK0T0PBZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

4140NE978XL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Those are just 2 of the ones I have.

Random fact, my brother was a groomsman in Lee Strobel's son Kyle's wedding.

My brother gave me Kyle's book for Christmas, but I haven't started reading it yet.

book.gif

If you're looking for a "God: WTF is that about?" book with a more progressive slant, I'd recommend the writings of Marcus Borg. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...cus%20J.%20Borg

Borg%20new%20book.jpg9780060609191.jpg

I also enjoy Bart Ehrman and John Spong.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...t%20D.%20Ehrman

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...0Shelby%20Spong

As for me, I just started this:

200px-Iamlegend.jpg

How's that for a random segue?

Not bad ~

I also have the following to read - via ILL:

The Small Faces & Other Stories: The Faces : Peter Frampton, Rod Stewart, Ronnie Lane, Steve Marriott, Humble Pie by Uli Twelker and Roland Schmitt

Riot on Sunset Strip: Rock'n'Roll's Last Stand in Hollywood by Domenic Priore and Arthur Lee

Making Tracks: The Rise of Blondie by Debbie Harry, Chris Stein, and Victor Bockris

Jeff Beck - Crazy Fingers by Annette Carson and Jeff Beck

Weapons of Choice (The Axis of Time Trilogy, Book 1, 2, 3) by John Birmingham

39873416.jpg

About 100 pages in and it's pretty good. I'm not wild about McCullough's writing style in this one.

One of the things that is interesting is that I work in Cambridge. The Longfellow House, where Washington planned the siege of Boston, is about four blocks from where I am right now.

JohnAdams_0.jpg

Night%20Watch%20Book.jpg

zombie.gif

The idea of "reason" and "faith" holding hands seemed a bit lol worthy.

i don't think so at all, but as j.nick said...that's another thread.

NR:

51FVZTSDXCL._SS500_.jpg

The Golden Age of DC Comics: 365 Days

From the late 1930s to the mid-1950s, DC Comics blazed a creative, innovative trail in popular culture, and the company has remained at the forefront of the comics industry ever since. In one milestone after another, DC Comics introduced the fantastic characters that became everyone's favorite super heroes: Superman, Batman and Robin, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Shazam! This brilliantly illustrated volume features entirely new, large-format photography of the original comic books, showcasing the fabulous visual world of the DC comic-book heroes and artists.

Comics historian Les Daniels, graphic designer Chip Kidd, and photographer Geoff Spear have delved deep into the DC archives, to which they were granted unprecedented access, highlighting not only the classics that have become pop-culture icons but also lost gems like More Fun Comics and Comics Cavalcade. The 365 images, shot especially for this book, along with the impeccably researched text and informative introductory essays, ensure that this blast from the past will have a huge appeal for both comic-book devotees and newcomers.

Bargain bin at B&N...$9.99. I love the layout and design.

I just finished Krakauer's Into the Wild. While interesting, I'm glad I read it on vacation, where I finished it in three days. If I'd read my typical 10-20 pages a night before bed, I likely would have stopped reading after about 100 pages.

I'm now 135 or so pages into Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer, by James L. Swanson. It's a fast and gripping read. Even a non-history buff would like it. It would make for a great movie, with Johnnie Depp as John Wilkes Booth.

I'm now 135 or so pages into Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer, by James L. Swanson. It's a fast and gripping read. Even a non-history buff would like it. It would make for a great movie, with Johnnie Depp as John Wilkes Booth.

And Will Ferrell as Lincoln. Kidding.

Great read, though. I think it's great because it reads as fiction even though it's non-fiction, which plays into the story even a non-history buff can appreciate.

When you finish it get the companion book (I checked it out from the library) to check out some of the landmarks described in the book. It's a coffee table-type picture book and I forget the name of it. Pretty nice companion piece.

Just finished:

9780060736262.jpg

We had to read it in high school and I loved it then and I loved it even more this time.

Now reading:

9780786885244.jpg

I really hate movie covers, but this book was only $2 at a used book sale and was in awesome condition. I couldn't pass it up.