• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd pretty much be willing to send you the books by Jodi I have, if you return them after you read them..because I enjoy her books that much that I encourage others to open their minds to reading them and thinking of things in a new way. They rock.

lol...as long as you don't ask me if I have any Wii's in stock I'll try to answer all your questions.

And NOOOOO we don't have Wii's in stock, no I don't know when I will have them in...lol

Oh, you are ON! I can send you "March", too, and you just return when finished. :thumbup PM on the way!

So......no Wii's, huh? :dontgetit

I keed, I keed.....keedsmokes are prone to that! :lol....actually I may be the last human on the planet with absolutely zero interest in a Wii. Just no time for it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

I am on that last boat with ya Donna - I have zero interest in getting a Wii - I have never been much into video games, though Guitar Hero can be fun.

Haven't had the chance to play that yet. Tom loves it; he & his roommates play it all the time. As for me....showing my age here.....I kinda miss "Space Invaders". :lol

Aaannnnd.....just getting us back on track.....I'm currently reading a terrific little novel called "Love Walked In", which sounds as though it might just be trite as all get-out, but has turned out to be a wonderfully involving story with good plot twists (because they aren't obvious!) and characters you come to really care about. Author is Marisa De Los Santos...it's her debut novel. Not great literature, but I haven't been able to put it down much because I want to know how it all turns out. Always a good quality in a story! :thumbup

I am on that last boat with ya Donna - I have zero interest in getting a Wii - I have never been much into video games, though Guitar Hero can be fun.

Honestly you must be about the only 2 people on the planet that don't want a Wii. Although it is not possible for me to answer anyone at this point when they ask me if we have any in stock....really...i actually laugh when i answer.

Let's see...I'm currently starting to read A Great and Terrible Beauty..its a YA (young adult) fiction book but i love YA books as well as completely random books. I'm huge on British/Irish authors....I collect more books everytime I go overseas..the bookstores in the airports are my best friends because as long as I can carry it on the plane it's not extra baggage :)

Just finished this:

HowToRigAnElection.jpg

A decent read about a guy (I actually hung out with him briefly at a Dead show in the late 80s in Atlanta, apparently) who climbed the ladder of Republican campaign insiders.

He had no particular devotion to the Republicans besides making money and climbing the ladder to power and inevitably wound up as one of Rove's underlings. He was charged with helping to jam phone lines on election day in New Hampshire in 2000 and did time in Federal prison.

He names names and talks in detail about the seamy underbelly of playing dirty in elections.

Now waiting on some Tim O'brien books a generous person who works for his publishing company is sending out.

Just finished reading A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray..It's a young adult fiction book...really enjoyed it and now am going to buy the next 2 in the trilogy. We should start swapping books on here then everyone would get to read the books that others recommend :)

I'd be up for a swap, but I am attached to my books. Plus, I like to read in the bath tub and sometimes books get a little shabby looking after they've either been dropped in the tub or touched too many times with wet hands. Jay thinks they look bad, I just think it adds character. He won't let me read his books in the tub.

I do have the following books, if anyone is interested in them. Send me a PM with your address if you want them.

The Family Orchard by Nomi Eve

The Pieces From Berlin by Michael Pye

Confessions of a Crap Artist by Philip K. Dick This one appears to have been read in the tub and the corner is a little wrinkly. I didn't read it, so it must have been from my sister. It's still in good shape though.

The Rules of Engagement by Anita Brookner

I'd be up for a swap, but I am attached to my books. Plus, I like to read in the bath tub and sometimes books get a little shabby looking after they've either been dropped in the tub or touched too many times with wet hands. Jay thinks they look bad, I just think it adds character. He won't let me read his books in the tub.

Oh I should have said more...I mean swap and then swap back...I'm quite attached to most of my books as well. Although I do not have a problem dropping them in the tub.

Was...

416EGZN2CNL._AA240_.jpg

Dark and slightly disturbing. Glasgow auctioneer discovers secret fetish of a deceased estate owner and becomes obsessed with the story surrounding a photograph. Good noir novel.

Now.

51YTyo+fOPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

"We were crucified by the truth".

Excellent stuff.

I read this one recently too. I forgot to add it to my other post.

angelasashes.jpg

Now I'm reading:

W_teacher-man_color.article.jpg

I love Angela's Ashes......have you read 'Tis? I was so so on Teacher Man, though enjoyed it. He just has such a wonderful voice in his writing.

Picked up two books at the library today that look interesting. Anybody with insight on either please chime in:

thenine.jpg

The author here is a CNN senior legal analyst and New Yorker staff writer. Looks really good.

predict.jpg

This one deals with why we make the decisions we make in everyday events.

I also received in the mail three books from a kind guy who works for Houghton Mifflin:

IntheLakeoftheWoods.jpg

july.jpg

Thanks to kim and others who suggested Tim O'Brien to me. I'm a fan.

and this one written by Dick Schaap's kid, Jeremy, about Jesse Owens, Hitler, and the '36 Olympics:

triumph.jpg

I love Angela's Ashes......have you read 'Tis? I was so so on Teacher Man, though enjoyed it. He just has such a wonderful voice in his writing.

I read Angela's Ashes and 'Tis when they first came out. I recently found Angela's Ashes at a used book sale for $1 so I picked it up and read it again. I love his books.

It just amazes me that he lived to be successful and just the fact that he actually lived....

book.gif

interesting read: in the 1930s the majority of americans had no idea what pizza or quiche was.

Wow that sounds really interesting!

Perk of working in a library: I am about to walk up to the stacks and fetch this book for myself.

Thanks for sharing!

The kids were reading Magic Treehouse books on our vacation last week. I don't think I'd ever seen them before, but they looked pretty decent.

We also spent a good part of the week reading the last half of this, aloud:

13536544.JPG

And for my more adult-themed version of the Harry Potter series, over the course of the week I also managed to re-read all of these:

12781154.jpg

More Tales of the City

Further Tales of the City

Babycakes

Significant Others

and

Sure of You

before diving into the latest in the series:

12904170.jpg

The author claims that this is not the seventh book in the Tales series, but... yeah, right. Also: 18 years since the last one! I'd like to see Harry Potter fans hold out for that long!

[/quo

:thumbup Loved those books

The kids were reading Magic Treehouse books on our vacation last week. I don't think I'd ever seen them before, but they looked pretty decent.

We also spent a good part of the week reading the last half of this, aloud:

I worked at a bookstore til October..just wanted to say those Magic Treehouse books are really educational. Some of the titles even have add on books that are written for that series...that delve farther into the locations or people you read about...I think there is one on the Egyptians or Pyramids..etc. Quite the educational series and fun too !

I'm reading the 3rd book in this series..The Sweet Far Thing is in the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray...love love love the series!!