I'm Not There - Soundtrack Revealed?

This album will be great (Tweedy doing Simple Twist of Fate I think I read), but is anyone but me scared this movie is going to be an unholy mess?? I tried watching the Velvet Goldmine by this same director and the fuckin thing was pretty much unwatchable as far as I was concerned and I liked the idea of a story about Bowie and Iggy. I mean it sounds like a good idea to have Dylan played by several actors, but somehow the concept could fall apart in practice. We shall see.

LouieB

I have the same feeling as you Louie. Here's a scene from the movie, Cate Blanchet (sp?) is playing Dylan in this scene, her voice sounds nothing like him but she does have his movements down. http://youtube.com/watch?v=VyWgzUGOliw&amp...ted&search= I still don't know what to think though!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same feeling as you Louie. Here's a scene from the movie, Cate Blanchet (sp?) is playing Dylan in this scene, her voice sounds nothing like him but she does have his movements down. http://youtube.com/watch?v=VyWgzUGOliw&amp...ted&search= I still don't know what to think though!

hmm i liked that clip...blancett was pretty convincing id say

i am really excited for both the movie and soundtrack

is anyone but me scared this movie is going to be an unholy mess??

I'm resigned to that possibility, especially since Velvet Goldmine was pretty lousy. But Haynes has made at least two masterpieces--Safe and Far from Heaven--and has enough artistic finesse to make this Dylan gimmick work. I like his chances more than most. (Far from Heaven also relied on an arch, stylized conceit, and that totally worked.)

I would like to believe this The Playlist is true because it would be phenomenal.

"Considering it has already been reported that Malkmus' sessions were recorded with Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo and Dylan bass player Tony Garnier, we figured these two were involved. Turns out we weren't far off the mark. Our source also revealed the band's membership which includes the aforementioned Ranaldo and Garnier, plus Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley, Verlaine, keyboardist John Medeski (from Martin, Medeski and Wood), guitarist Smokey Hormel (onetime Beck guitarist, Smokey & Miho) and Wilco avante-guitarist Nels Cline."

:blink

I'm resigned to that possibility, especially since Velvet Goldmine was pretty lousy. But Haynes has made at least two masterpieces--Safe and Far from Heaven--and has enough artistic finesse to make this Dylan gimmick work. I like his chances more than most. (Far from Heaven also relied on an arch, stylized conceit, and that totally worked.)
I will have to check out those other movies.

The Dylan story is pretty cinematic just as a straight story. Clint Eastwood made a mess of the Charlie Parker story, another great story that needed little help to be compelling. So I guess we shall see.

LouieB

I will have to check out those other movies.

The Dylan story is pretty cinematic just as a straight story. Clint Eastwood made a mess of the Charlie Parker story, another great story that needed little help to be compelling. So I guess we shall see.

LouieB

Safe and Far From Heaven* are pretty great, so hopefully he can knock another one out with this Dylan picture.

* I would also recommend checking out Fassbinder's Ali: Fear Eats the Soul and Sirk's All That Heaven Allows, as Far From Heaven is basically a reworking of those 2 great films.

Safe and Far From Heaven* are pretty great, so hopefully he can knock another one out with this Dylan picture.

* I would also recommend checking out Fassbinder's Ali: Fear Eats the Soul and Sirk's All That Heaven Allows, as Far From Heaven is basically a reworking of those 2 great films.

Okay so that is weird......

LouieB

photos

In one of the film's standout moments, My Morning Jacket's Jim James channels Rolling Thunder Revue-era Dylan and performs a hair-raising version of the Basement Tapes gem "Going to Acapulco."

Film splits Dylan's personality among six actors

By Anthony Breznican, USA TODAY

How many actors does a movie need before it re-creates Bob Dylan?

The answer isn't blowing in the wind

I'll second these recommendations. Both are great--especially Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, which is one of my all-time favorite movies. Top 20, maybe.

Thanks.

As if this movie isn't "confusing" enough, here's one of the captions: "Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger plays an actor who films a movie in which he plays a role based on the life of Christian Bale's character." Whuh?

Yeah man I have no clue what they're doing with the story line. "Marcus Carl Franklin plays young Dylan, known as Woody." I agree Whuh? We'll have to wait and see I guess... I'm sort of worried about this.

Thanks.

As if this movie isn't "confusing" enough, here's one of the captions: "Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger plays an actor who films a movie in which he plays a role based on the life of Christian Bale's character." Whuh?

Yeah man I have no clue what they're doing with the story line. "Marcus Carl Franklin plays young Dylan, known as Woody." I agree Whuh? We'll have to wait and see I guess... I'm sort of worried about this.

It's so obvious. Duh.