• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo La Tengo- "I Threw It All Away"

Mendoza Line- "It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry"

Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam- "Masters of War"

I've got a feeling there's gonna be a bunch of good ones on the upcoming I'm Not There soundtrack.

The GD have covered a lot of Dylan over the years, going back to the 60s with (It's All Over Now) Baby Blue.

I've always thought they've treated Dylan's work really well in their interpretations of his tunes, too. I particularly like how they cover "Visions of Johanna." Garcia's voice just works perfectly with the song's imagery, imo. I also really appreciate Garcia's take on "It Takes a Lot To Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry" and "She Belongs To Me."

And Phil Lesh belting out "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blue" is a hoot, too.

Of course the classics are Mr Tambourine Man (Byrds) and All Along The Watchtower (Hendrix).

My nominations: Seven Days - Joe Cocker. Stepchild - Solomon Burke. Both of these afaik were recorded by others before Dylan ever did them. Stepchild was written for Burke.

Actually, Dylan performed Seven Days on the RTR and Stepchild is from his gospel period. Those covers are certainly solid, though, you're right.

Van Morrison's cover of Just Like a Woman probably takes the cake for me, but I have a number of favourites. OCMS doing Goin' to Acapulco live is pretty incredible, and I have an affinity for all of the White Stripes covers. Hmm, I guess I really prefer other artists' live takes on Dylan songs to their proper studio recordings. Weird that I never noticed that before.

Stepchild was written for Burke.

Don't think so, it's actually a really old song (might be from the late 70's, but I'm sure it's at least as old as the 1980's).

My votes:

Nothing Was Delivered - Fotheringay

When I Paint My Masterpiece - The Band

Quinn The Eskimo - Manfred Mann, and also Ian and Sylvia Tyson do a great version too

With God On Our Side - Manfred Mann

City Of Gold - The Dixie Hummingbirds

Mama You've Been On My Mind - Rod Stewart

Girl From The North Country - Rod Stewart

Si Tu Dois Partir - Fairport Convention