10/13/07 Crossroads KC, MO

How 'bout the screamin chick? (my wife) She really needs to get into filming horror movies. I thought Tweedy was truly shaking, then came to his wit and conceded then told her to zip it. We had a good time SINGING and DANCING. This is rock n' roll, not church.

Jesus this is a small world. I'm the guy next to your wife that kept hitting you up for "hi 5's" I had an absolute blast. I thought we made a nice team. Thanks for being there to break my "Wilco cherry." Couldn't have wished for 2 cooler people near me. However, I'm contemplating suing your wife for hearing loss :lol

Alex

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is with all the negativity. What in the hell do you people expect. Ive been to lots of shows before at lots of venues. I had very little problem with anything that went on during the night. I would dare say I quite enjoyed myself and Wilco was absolutely superb...they reminded me once again why they are simply the best.

Sure the announcer guy was annoying and the mulch kinda sucked but big deal get over it...from my point of view its a very small price to pay to see wilco. and all you people who are saying how they thought wilco was in bad spirit--because apparently Kansas city is the worst city in America--are just ridiculous. you people don't know the band, and are probably taking a small instance out of context.

anyways i think we can all agree that the music absolutely rocked. I have not been following wilco's set lists of late but man the a.m. and being there was totally out of left field and amazing--oh and not to mention "shes a jar.

Jesus this is a small world. I'm the guy next to your wife that kept hitting you up for "hi 5's" I had an absolute blast. I thought we made a nice team. Thanks for being there to break my "Wilco cherry." Couldn't have wished for 2 cooler people near me. However, I'm contemplating suing your wife for hearing loss :lol

Alex

I am considering suing her too. I didn't think it was that loud and I just heard the tape. Wow. It hurt.

Yeah, dude. It was a blast. Rock on.

kansas city is not a good suit for me. that's all. i'm selling my house and moving back to the central coast of CA in the spring.

and, i've been listening to the show today, and it sounds great. i also haven't mentioned how a bartender chick scammed me for extra money for a drink. long story, but i totally caught her ripping me and the owner off for 2 bucks.

also, nobody said that the band seemed irratated BECAUSE of being in KC. i just posted that i had ALSO noticed that 3 of them all looked really pissed off b4 the show. that's all.

also, nobody said that the band seemed irratated BECAUSE of being in KC. i just posted that i had ALSO noticed that 3 of them all looked really pissed off b4 the show. that's all.

Perhaps the weather had something do with that. I was pretty happy to see the mulch being dumped in there, rather than have some shitty 90s Woodstock mud experience happen.

:lol

any chance you could B&P that show for me? Pretty please?

Yeah, I can, but I am new at the old B&P and noticed how specific some people like their burns. Like, I am way uncool cuz I use Windows Med. Player and it puts pauses between tracks. I am not particular about stuff like that, so if you are not I'd be glad to send it to you. Let me know if you're still interested and I'll pm my address to you.

Yeah, I can, but I am new at the old B&P and noticed how specific some people like their burns. Like, I am way uncool cuz I use Windows Med. Player and it puts pauses between tracks. I am not particular about stuff like that, so if you are not I'd be glad to send it to you. Let me know if you're still interested and I'll pm my address to you.

that would be very cool. WMP doesn't allow you to burn "Disc at once?"

What version are you running? There is a plug in that will allow you to burn DAO rather than TAO if you have WMP v9. DOn't have it for WMP 10 yet.

Yep. She's my little rock and roll.

(Sherriff Glenny tshirt, made by Tweedy's Gurl, signed 2 years ago by the whole band.)

Awesome! She looked so excited, bouncing around the parking lot before the show. I love seeing young'uns hyped about good music.

OK. I'm really a bit of all right.

I'd rather head down to Festus and Kimswick to see dinosaur bones or do some fishing. ;)

Just as long as I can sit on the bank, sans fishing pole. I'll bring a bag of those burgers covered in slaw and bbq sauce from the Stoplight Cafe.

WOW from some of these reviews i can't believe some of you were at the same place i was on Saturday. After that heavy morning rain Saturday it was "Sky Blue Sky" the rest of the day; which i thought was a great omen.

Maybe those with a bad experience had to drive in that storm on the way into town. If so i don't blame you for bad reviews. I would have been a little pissy too if i had to drive in that shit. I should know I had to drive all the way back home in it through the Kansas and Oklahoma plains on Sunday. It's really stressful.

The only bitch i had with the venue was the fact that it was kinda hidden back in the city's back street, and it's not well marked. So when i over shot it, i got stuck in the Elton John traffic from the Sprint center. As for the staff there i thought they were great. Normally when i go to a K.C. venue i am subject to what amounts to a anal cavity search. From the airport to Arrowhead... Like a terrorist even knows where the hell Kansas City is!

The staff there was very helpful and i felt very little violation entering the venue. Although one dumb ass at the door tried to stop me with my taping gear. Another staff member stepped in and clued her in. I even shot back at her telling her "it's half hour before show and you don't know the door policies? Come on, know your job!"

After getting in i went by the sound board to set up my gear. To my pleasant surprise there were already two tapers there with better recording equipment than i have. I was thoughtfully offered a patch to their rig but I ended up just leaving my bag behind the cage, knowing i could get the show from a torrent. It's not often i get to just relax and enjoy a show. But this show i did.

The floor of the venue was a little treacherous to navigate. Especially after a few drinks, but it had a nice slope so even at the back of the venue you could see the stage unobstructed. And even with the heavy rain the mulch that was the floor was not messy if you had proper shoes. I would not recommend sandals if you go.

The wife and i went all the way to the far side of the venue and there was a great place to hang out. The toilets were there, no lines at the beer stands and two picnic tables to sit on when we wanted, and our view was only about 15' from the stage. If they would have had the stacks suspended and not on the stage we would have had a clear view of every member of wilco but because of the stacks on stage, Nels was a bit obstructed when he was not out front of the stage tearing up his ax.

After talking to the owner; M/C guy some of you are bashing. It turns out normally the stacks are suspended but Wilco chose to have all the house stuff removed so they could use their own gear.

The owner was very friendly and open to suggestions about the venue. He is also a huge Wilco fan he said and this was his dream gig for Crossroads. It all worked out great for him because he also said this was the first sell out at the venue and he was pretty happy about that.

The probable reason for his exuberance at the end of the show was because when i talked to him he seemed to be getting a little drunk; but putting my self in his shoes. If it was my new venue, and i had just hired my favorite band to play and it sold out!.... IMO he had every reason to be pumped up. But i can see if you didn't have any of this info and just saw a random guy on stage acting like he was, he would seem odd. I bet he could care less what anyone thought of him though. After all he was the host and he was responsible for Wilco playing there, we owe him at least that nod.

As for the band being in a bad mood? it didn't appear that way to me. I met Nils just after the Bird set. As it was mentioned earlier he was huddled against a beer stand watching Andrews set. BTW who does that?!?! These guys are soooo down to earth!

Anyway as he was about to go back stage i ask if he would sign my SBS tote bag. He stopped and chatted a bit with me and even recognized me as the guy that did the AGIB tour comp. He even remembered i gave him his copy in Houston!

Talk about making a fan feel good! That remark alone put me on cloud 9!

At any rate i told him after the "wilco world" email i got; saying the band was planning on taking some time off in '08, i had to get my last Wilco fix and drove up from Texas. He said that email may not be all true and that they will be working as a band early next year and will probably hit the road again in the Summer of '08! Sounds like some new material might be around the corner to me!

As for the show... all you have to do is look at that KC set list! This band's consistency as a live act is off the charts. And when they play the type of set list they have recently been playing... if you are not enjoying the shows your going to than that's too bad. Maybe it's time to follow someone new because i can't see any fan that's not burnt out on Wilco's music not enjoying this tour.

And as far as the audience at Crossroads? As a majority they were just as beautiful as they always are. Inside and out. I have always had good experiences with wilco fans at shows.

There are always exceptions at any public venue, but to me if someone is pissing you off because of their singing or dancing or even just because they are more into the "good time" a wilco show offers than the actual music; whatever the reason, then my advise is move to somewhere you feel more comfortable.

So Miss Chris -- I listened to the torrent today (excellent recording for an AUD!) and listened for the "tiny dancer" lines but missed them. When were they??

You should check out this thread - so you can learn the way to do B&P.

And, for the person that stated that it's hard to "sing a long" to Bird's performances? Good. There is nothing more annoying than ppl that sing along to performances. Just a "head's up". We don't pay 30 bucks to hear you sing. Yeah, there's times to sing a lyric or two duiring Wilco shows, but singing along to a song so that you are trying to impress everyone around you is borderline criminal in my book.

I'm not talking about belting it out at the top of my lungs for an entire show, but I like singing along to myself from time to time. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I don't sing loud enough for anyone around to hear me in a loud concert, let alone annoy anyone. I am also paying 30 dollars, and if it helps me enjoy the show a little more, than I think I am entitled to sing along at reasonable volume. It helps me enjoy a connection to songs I love. Furthermore, I'm not trying to impress anyone around me, I don't need to do that. All I was saying is that Andrew's songs undergo dramatic structural shifts when performed live.

I will say this however, and this is about concerts in general, not specifically Wilco shows, but a lot of "indie" shows, people don't respond to the music at all, and that annoys me. For as soulful and catchy and dance-worthy as a lot of bands are, and for as devoted as a lot of fans are, I see a ton of people who just stand stiff at shows, barely even nodding their heads. I don't think there is anything wrong with showing more enthusiasm than most people do, as long as it's done respectfully. I would be annoyed if I was playing my music with all my heart to a bunch of people who weren't reciprocating at all. It's a rock concert, not the opera. Rock and roll is supposed to be fun.

I will say this however, and this is about concerts in general, not specifically Wilco shows, but a lot of "indie" shows, people don't respond to the music at all, and that annoys me. For as soulful and catchy and dance-worthy as a lot of bands are, and for as devoted as a lot of fans are, I see a ton of people who just stand stiff at shows, barely even nodding their heads.
Wondering if anyone has any KC artwork for the cd or a poster. If not, perhaps I can make one.
Check Wilcobase.
I would be annoyed if I was playing my music with all my heart to a bunch of people who weren't reciprocating at all. It's a rock concert, not the opera. Rock and roll is supposed to be fun.

God Bless Your Heart :monkey

I hate to blow sunshine up everyone's asses, but my daughter and I saw Jeff before the show and he was smiling radiantly. Virtually bursting with health and good cheer.

Shocking, I know.

For as soulful and catchy and dance-worthy as a lot of bands are, and for as devoted as a lot of fans are, I see a ton of people who just stand stiff at shows, barely even nodding their heads. I don't think there is anything wrong with showing more enthusiasm than most people do, as long as it's done respectfully

Amen.

By the way, JT gave a shout out to the KC fireworks during the show in Iowa last night.

Amen.

By the way, JT gave a shout out to the KC fireworks during the show in Iowa last night.

the coolest thing about the fireworks during spiders was the fact that our fireworks display was 10X better than the one the Sprint center gave for the elton John gig.

BTW Wilco was the best band playing in K.C. that night. So it was only right that our display was better! :dancing

I just don't like KC. It think it's stupidly laid out and has little to no personality. I've been there for probably six shows (including another Wilco show) and have never had a good time in the city (though the Wilco show was my first, so it was great).

I think the main reason I didn't have as much of a killer time at this show was just the fact that the set was almost exactly (with a few great exceptions) the same as the set they played in Columbia, MO on September 19. I was floored by that set (and the venue and the crowd and the band's high spirits) and had been listening to the recording for weeks-- I was just expecting a little more variety.

The band played amazingly and I never said I didn't have a great time. I only said that the show was my least favorite Wilco show I've attended. That's like saying it's my least favorite briefcase full of unmarked, non-consecutive, hundred dollar bills.

Kansas City just rubs me the wrong way.

I've been to six Wilco concerts, and Saturday's topped them all. Fantastic set list (I LOVED "Pick Up the Change"). The band did seem a bit detached at first, but the crowd's energy really was contagious.

My only complaints: Mizzou lost to OU, and an insufferable young woman behind me talked through the first several songs, going on and on about how she got to go backstage. Well how f---ing special for you! I came to listen to the music, not you. Then her boyfriend wanted to pick a fight with me because I had the audacity to ask them to quit talking. If those people are reading this, I apologize if I was too brusque, but I don't think I was out of line.

Other than that, it was a great night. I hope Crossroads continues to make improvements to the venue. It was impressive the kind of acts they booked while keeping ticket prices reasonable.

P.S. They also printed up a really striking poster to promote the show. Well worth $25. Now all I need is a frame.

hey, yeah, as long as people aren't singing loudly, then that's obvously fine. but i can't believe how some people are so oblivious to the people around them by singing so loudly. it's absurd someone would try and start a fight over you asking them to hush up. that's the type of people that bum me out. i remember being at a dead show about 17 years ago and an all-out brawl took place right in front of me over this type of thing. the guys beat the crap out of eachother. now that i think about it, there was quite a fight at a wilco show in louisville last october. don't know how it started, but one guy involved was bopping around all over, obviously invading ppls personal space.

"I would be annoyed if I was playing my music with all my heart to a bunch of people who weren't reciprocating at all"

there's a fine line there. if people scream and shout and holler like baboons during an entire song, well they are 'reciprocating' in their way, but, yeah, they are also limiting the enjoyment of others... just like a ton-deaf, loud singer can rub me wrong...

one "too far apart" call deserves another! :cheekkiss

i made about 14 calls to friends during this show (wilco & andrew b.). good thing i couldn't get cell reception at the show in iowa city! :lol

btw--LOOOOOVE this venue. what a little slice o'heaven. and boulevard on tap. *sigh*

Thanks for those calls, Evonne! :hug

I was at a party sitting out on a deck under the stars and I put the call on speakerphone and everybody listened! :D

Now I'm psyched for Tuesday (today!) and Wednesday with those same 7 guys! ;)