The latest Ryan Adams thread

There are maybe three or four songs on Cardinology that I really like, but on the whole, it feels like a throwaway album to me. With RA, it always comes down to quality over quantity for me. If he learned to edit himself a little better, he could've put out a few really solid albums in the last few years instead of a handful of lackluster ones.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i bet i listened to cardinology twice. i do not like it.

That is cool, I guess I'm just not in the club who thinks he has been making crappy albums for the past 5 years. Love Is Hell I believe is his high water mark and 29 is a hauntingly beautiful record. Cold Roses is a sprawling epic record and Easy Tiger contains a mix of strong songs similar but not as good as Demolition. Cardinology was the first to have a few songs that I didn't care for, but man I wore that record out and I just connect with it.

I don't know, I just don't see the criticisms as being valid. the guy, despite numerous extracurricular/personality based issues that may be valid, is a damn good songwriter. The more I hear both released and unreleased material further makes me feel this way.

Cardinology was the last album he had to do for Lost Highway, much like the Rock N Roll record, he had to write that since they werent into Love Is Hell, so you got a version of Ryan that was "lets write a record and get it over with." but those records are still good and that shows his amazingness. listen to records that he put his heart into, Cold Rose, Jacksonville, 29....

Cardinology was the last album he had to do for Lost Highway, much like the Rock N Roll record, he had to write that since they werent into Love Is Hell, so you got a version of Ryan that was "lets write a record and get it over with." but those records are still good and that shows his amazingness. listen to records that he put his heart into, Cold Rose, Jacksonville, 29....

I'd love to believe your theory, but the album was released to plenty of fanfare by Ryan himself. Wasn't this the band/album/etc that he was most proud of? And wasn't the title of the album a nod to that? I saw the band on Halloween in NYC and virtually the entire show was tunes from Cardinology.

I don't hate the album as much as others, but I agree that it's not very good. I just don't think it's right to say his heart wasn't in it.

I've also been meaning to add this since I bought a car a few weeks ago, but Rock N Roll is one of the greatest driving albums ever recorded. Like many others, I've been trashing the disc for years, but when you just tune out and let it get its hooks into you, it's pretty fantastic.

Also, as an added bonus, "Wish You Were Here" is a guaranteed laugh out loud.

When I saw him with the Cardinals in Seattle a couple years ago, "This is It" was easily among the highlights of an extremely good show. I'd love to hear Cardinals arrangements on some of the other RNR songs as well.

I think the Ryan Adams problem for many (not to overtly speak for others) is that he headed more in the "mainstream" direction instead of the "indie" direction and everyone from then on kind of keeps him at arms length (both critics and fans). I think after Heartbreaker he was the "it" kid who was going to be the next dylan and all of that. From Gold forward I think people just thought he was reaching for popularity. I think that is not all untrue, but I don't think he ever was anything other than who he was/is. If that makes sense? And I don't think it took away from the songs, although this last album did have a few songs that did nothing for me.

• 1 month later...

There's a post at The Ryan Adams Archive that list a whole bunch of websites that he posts stuff on. I think I checked them the other day - and there was nothing new. I think he has been mainly making Youtube videos, and working on his new book coming out.

I guess this is recent:

ryanada.ms

Yo! Happy Summer, folks.

Thank you everyone who participated in the pre-order. We look forward to filling & sending out your book orders.

We are working on some cool projects that have been coming around for awhile, Also Ryan's first legit art-show is in the works for the fall. So with that and a new book out it should turn out to be a cool and busy fall.

Also of note, Merge records is celebrating it's 20th anniversary with MERGE XX- Ryan wrote the foreword to the new book about Merge history- also MERGE has made the classic much sought after 7-inches of one of Ryan's favorite bands ever, ERECTUS MONOTONE, available at Merge.com. Go and check it out if you get the time.

Anyway lots of cool new things happening round the office and tons of exciting new plans for fall- we look forward to a great year!

We used the word "cool" a bunch here but also the word "hot" would also work.

Take it easy and have a great summer!

Mgmt. Pax-AM Recordings/RA.MS

I found the post - here they are:

http://ryanada.ms/

http://werewolph.com/

http://sleazyhandshake.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/dradamsfilms

http://twitter.com/ryanada_ms

http://twt.fm/ryanada_ms

http://www.facebook.com/ryanadams

http://www.myspace.com/ryanadams

http://twitpic.com/photos/ryanada_ms

That is cool, I guess I'm just not in the club who thinks he has been making crappy albums for the past 5 years. Love Is Hell I believe is his high water mark and 29 is a hauntingly beautiful record. Cold Roses is a sprawling epic record and Easy Tiger contains a mix of strong songs similar but not as good as Demolition. Cardinology was the first to have a few songs that I didn't care for, but man I wore that record out and I just connect with it.

I don't know, I just don't see the criticisms as being valid. the guy, despite numerous extracurricular/personality based issues that may be valid, is a damn good songwriter. The more I hear both released and unreleased material further makes me feel this way.

Yep, this!

Some of the unreleased stuff is the best stuff...48 Hours is a classic country record and still gets repeated spins at my place..

• 4 weeks later...

All of this stuff has been floating around in various places for a while. It's nice that it is all together for someone to grab though.

Ryan Adams & The Pinkhearts - The First Pinkheart Sessions (2000) - Unreleased Studio Recordings

Ryan Adams - Stockholm Sessions Unreleased Studio (offical track removed)

Ryan Adams - Destroyer Sessions (2000) w/David Rawlings & Gillian Welch - Unreleased Studio Recordings

Ryan Adams - Q Division Sessions (2000-09-29) - Unreleased Studio Recordings

Ryan Adams - Exile On Franklin Street (2000) - Unreleased Studio Recordings

Ryan Adams - Lazy Stars Sessions aka Exile On Daisy Street - 1994 - Unreleased Demos

Ryan Adams 2003-11-19 Paradiso Amsterdam Netherlands SBD

Whiskeytown (Ryan Adams) - Forever Valentine (1997) - Unreleased Studio Recordings

Whiskeytown (Ryan Adams) - Fucker (a.k.a. Heartbreaker Demos) (1998) - Unreleased Studio Recordings

Whiskeytown - Cats Cradle Carborro NC May 25 1995 soundboard recording

All of this stuff has been floating around in various places for a while. It's nice that it is all together for someone to grab though.

well, i just finished my 3rd or 4th time trying to get into ryan adams. yet again, it's not clicking. i really wish i could get into him, but to my ears he just comes off as a more prolific jason mraz and not on par with farrar, tweedy, neil young. i really can't pinpoint why i don't like him. i think it has something to do with his persona. maybe short man's syndrome. maybe just immature. i should love heartbreaker, but i don't. i've checked out all of the unreleased stuff, and 48 hours should've been released after gold. gold is fun album...way too long...but one of the better/memorable adult pop albums from this decade. the last 5 albums have been very well produced. he just doesn't sing his songs. his voice is so affected. cardinology had that goofy, cracking vibrato that was totally annoying. not to mention all his piano songs sound exactly the same to me...slow piano vamp with a weepy voice. incidently, i love the song cold roses and his appearance on ACL in 05 was incredible. so what's up? :)

A lot of people don't like Gold. Or, at least I don't. Anyhow, he is not for you. No big deal. I think there are some great songs on those unreleased collections. Like Wilco, his new stuff is more laid back, when it really needs to be more rocking somehow.

A lot of people don't like Gold. Or, at least I don't. Anyhow, he is not for you. No big deal. I think there are some great songs on those unreleased collections. Like Wilco, his new stuff is more laid back, when it really needs to be more rocking somehow.

i think i'm a bit envious of the ra fans because he has so much stuff to get into.

i think i'm a bit envious of the ra fans because he has so much stuff to get into.

very true. i consider myself to be a hardcore RA fan, hell, i have a Cardinals tat, and i've yet to check out 3/4 of his demos and such. there also seems to be a plethora of live recordings, he allows tapers to use the soundboard, and i haven't listened to hardly any of them yet either.

btw, Ryan just re-launched his Pax Am record label. looks like there will be some new recordings coming out soon :rock

I've been on a mad Gillian Welch kick since No Depression Festival last weekened, and today I downloaded a 1999 show where she joined Ryan for five songs (including "Revelator" and a couple Whiskeytown songs)... I'll listen tomorrow at work and share my thoughts maybe.