• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has it coach Tressel is calling out his old squad at Youngstown State, scandalously referring to them as merely a "Really good football team" rather than using more gracious terminology such as "Mighty tough" or "Super-Duper!" Needless to say, this was immediately posted in the YSU locker room, thus adding a whole new level of excitement to their Aug 30 meeting! :yawn

This is great, and very true from my experience. I can relate to alot of this going to Clemson games my whole life. I know some people that went up to Boston College when Clemson played them up there two years ago. You could only tailgate 1 hour before and 1 hour after the game. They piped in crowd noise during the game because the home crowd was so quiet!

Planning for the college football season in the South is radically

different than up North. For those who are planning a football trip

South, here are some helpful hints.

Women's Accessories:

NORTH: Chap Stick in back pocket and a $20 bill in the front pocket.

SOUTH: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, waterproof mascara, and

a fifth of bourbon. Money not necessary - that's what dates are for.

Stadium Size:

NORTH: College football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

SOUTH: High school football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

Fathers:

NORTH: Expect their daughters to understand Sylvia Plath.

SOUTH: Expect their daughters to understand pass interference.

Campus Decor:

NORTH: Statues of founding fathers.

SOUTH: Statues of Heisman trophy winners.

Homecoming Queen:

NORTH: Also a physics major.

SOUTH: Also Miss America .

Heroes:

NORTH: Rudy Giul i! aniSOUTH: Herschel Walker & Peyton Manning

Getting Tickets:

NORTH: 5 days before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus.

SOUTH: 5 months before the game you walk into the ticket office on

campus, make a large financial contribution, and put name on a waiting

list for tickets.

Friday Classes After a Thursday Night Game:

NORTH: Students and teachers not sure they're going to the game, because

they have classes on Friday.

SOUTH: Teachers cancel Friday classes because they don't want to see the

few hung over students that might actually make it to class.

Parking:

NORTH: An hour before game time, the University opens the campus for

game parking.

SOUTH: RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for

the weekend festivities. The really faithful arrive on Tuesday.

Game Day:

NORTH: A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.

SOUTH: Every student wakes up ,! has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over

to where ESPN is broadcasting "Game Day Live" to get on camera and wave

to the idiots up north who wonder why "Game Day Live" is never Broadcast

from their campus.

Tailgating:

NORTH: Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local

radio station with truck tailgate down.

SOUTH: 30-foot custom pig-shaped=2 0smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking

accompanied by live performance from the Dave Matthews Band,... who come

over during breaks and ask for a hit off bottle of bourbon.

Getting to the Stadium:

NORTH: You ask "Where's the stadium?" When you find it, you walk right

in.

SOUTH: When you're near it, you'll hear it. On game day it is the

state's third largest city.

Concessions:

NORTH: Drinks served in a paper cup, filled to the top with soda.

SOUTH: Drinks served in a plastic cup, with the home team's mascot on

it, filled less than half way with soda, to ensure enough room for

bourbon.

When National Anthem is Played:

NORTH: Stands are less than half full, and less than half of them stand

up.

SOUTH: 100,000 fans, all standing, sing along in perfect four-part

harmony.

The Smell in the Air after the First Score:

NORTH: Nothing changes.

SOUTH: Fireworks, with a touch of bourbon.

Commentary (Male):

NORTH: "Nice play."

SOUTH: "######, you slow sumbitch - tackle him and break his legs."

Commentary (Female):

NORTH: "My, this certainly is a violent sport."

SOUTH: "######, you slow sumbitch - tackle him and break his legs."

Announcers:

NORTH: Neutral and paid.

SOUTH: Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with a

tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

After the Game:

NORTH: The stadium is empty way before the game ends.

SOUTH: Another rack of ribs goes on the smoker, while somebody goes to

the ne a! rest package store for more bourbon, and planning begins for next

week's game.

Nothing else in the universe comes even halfway close to the glories of

Southern football!

Well, the above thing is kind of true if you're talking about the northeast, where basketball is king and football is something of an afterthought most places, but the midwest has no shortage of football-crazed idiocy. Whether or not that's something to brag about is another debate.

There's a whole lot of crazies around here who wear scarlet and gray 365 days a year (many companies actually have it written into their corporate dress-code that t-shirts are only acceptable work attire if they have OSU logos on them). Even as a fan, the level of hysteria gets a bit overwhelming/ridiculous in this town at times to the point that you have to wonder about the guy in scarlet face paint walking down High St in July screaming "O-H-I-O" at the top of his lungs....but on gameday, those people are my best friends in the world. :cheers

By the way, this is cute and all:

Women's Accessories:

SOUTH: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, waterproof mascara, and

a fifth of bourbon. Money not necessary - that's what dates are for.

...but screw the Louis Vuitton crap. Up here the ladies carry their bottles of bourbon inside an even bigger bottle of bourbon! :beer That's hardcore, man.

Well, the above thing is kind of true if you're talking about the northeast, where basketball is king and football is something of an afterthought most places, but the midwest has no shortage of football-crazed idiocy. Whether or not that's something to brag about is another debate.

There's a whole lot of crazies around here who wear scarlet and gray 365 days a year (many companies actually have it written into their corporate dress-code that t-shirts are only acceptable work attire if they have OSU logos on them). Even as a fan, the level of hysteria gets a bit overwhelming/ridiculous in this town at times to the point that you have to wonder about the guy in scarlet face paint walking down High St in July screaming "O-H-I-O" at the top of his lungs....but on gameday, those people are my best friends in the world. :cheers

Yeah, this is definitely only talking about the Northeast.. Midwesterners are just as serious as Southern football fans. OSU fans are VERY serious about their football. I watched an entire documentery on OSU football. I thought the Clemson/South Carolina rivalry was big, it's nothing compared to OSU/Michigan.

I watched an entire documentery on OSU football. I thought the Clemson/South Carolina rivalry was big, it's nothing compared to OSU/Michigan.

Is that the HBO one that was done a few years ago? I haven't seen that one yet. But, yeah, the Michigan thing is big. It is easily the most important day of the year around here. Its like Christmas, except the elves are wearing riot gear. :lol

I didn't even grow up in OH--I'm a transplant. So even as an alum and a hardcore fan, I'm still able to occasionally step back and see the whole circus from an outsider's perspective. Its just amazing. For the people born and raised here, its in their blood. There was a statewide poll published recently about sports fans' team preferences and OSU football beat out both NFL franchises by a healthy margin--which would be surprising in most states, but not here.

The ironic thing is that the majority of M*chiganers don't take the thing as seriously as we do.

I'm a born and bred Buckeye so obviously this means the world to me...haha. After the title game this year, the only thing I could say to myself is "At least we beat them."

But, yeah, the Michigan thing is big. It is easily the most important day of the year around here. Its like Christmas, except the elves are wearing riot gear. :lol

It's pretty damn big up here as well. Nov. 22 can't get here soon enough. Go Blue!

As a Michigan alum, I can handle a mediocre season as long as the Wolverines beat ND, Sparty, and tUoOS. And by mediocre, I mean 8-4. I think there is more than a stadium being rebuilt in Ann Arbor this year.

I'm a born and bred Buckeye so obviously this means the world to me...haha. After the title game this year, the only thing I could say to myself is "At least we beat them."

Yeah, reminds me of a saying at Clemson "If we beat South Carlolina, but lose every other game, it's still a great season" :lol

The ironic thing is that the majority of M*chiganers don't take the thing as seriously as we do.

That was true in the 90s, but I bet a losing streak has rekindled the rivalry up there. Being on the downside for a while will do that to you. When I was a student in the '90s and Coop found a way to lose every #!@^@ year, it was intense in Columbus. I can remember days that were utterly heartbreaking--Shawn Springs falling down in '96 and taking the championship hopes with him, the dreaded Biakabutuka massacre of '95--, but I'll tell you one thing--OSU beat UM my freshman year '94 and my senior year '98 and those are two of the most memorable days of my entire life. Sometimes those wins are sweeter when they are rare.

I think that Michigan students/alum take the game every bit as seriously as tOSU students/alum do. But the rest of the state of Ohio, those with no actual official connection to tOSU, take it way more seriously than the rest of the state of Michigan does.

I think that Michigan students/alum take the game every bit as seriously as tOSU students/alum do. But the rest of the state of Ohio, those with no actual official connection to tOSU, take it way more seriously than the rest of the state of Michigan does.

QFT. This may be due to the fact that Sparty fans are truly conflicted when Michigan and tUoOS play. As the lone Wolverine in a Sparty Family, my experience has been that my family's desired outcome for The Game would be that both teams' suffered a food poisoning epidemic and could not play rather than root for either team. In fact, my mother has said that the only time she will root for Michigan is when they play ND, God bless her Sparty heart.

Hey, at least you guys have the Red Wings. Beyond OSU, the sports landscape here is somewhat bleak unless you're enough of a glutton for punishment to be a Browns/Tribe/Bengals/Reds/Blue Jackets fan. :lol And, yeah, LeBron is a superstar and all, but I don't think I have ever met a diehard Cavs fan. I'm not sure they exist. Or at least they didn't exist until a couple years ago.

I didn't even grow up in OH--I'm a transplant. So even as an alum and a hardcore fan, I'm still able to occasionally step back and see the whole circus from an outsider's perspective. Its just amazing. For the people born and raised here, its in their blood. There was a statewide poll published recently about sports fans' team preferences and OSU football beat out both NFL franchises by a healthy margin--which would be surprising in most states, but not here.

oh... OSU in Ohio? All this time I thought it was Southern Michigan University... :P

I would argue that Arkansas is rated way too low on this list. ;)

So is Georgia.

Yeah, reminds me of a saying at Clemson "If we beat South Carlolina, but lose every other game, it's still a great season" :lol

Yeah alot of Gamecock fans say the same thing about Clemson but I think that's a pretty moronic statement. Beating Clemson does nothing to gain us respect on a national level like beating Georgia, LSU or Florida does. Clemson who? :thumbup

Yeah alot of Gamecock fans say the same thing about Clemson but I think that's a pretty moronic statement. Beating Clemson does nothing to gain us respect on a national level like beating Georgia, LSU or Florida does. Clemson who? :thumbup

You only need to justify your own existence.