New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

I'm not a huge MMJ fan but I like this album. I just heard it yesterday for the first time and its much better than Kot or Dero portray it to be. James definately is streetching his vocal range out. If I close my eyes and don't think MMJ I swear a coupl of the songs could easily fit on a mid-70's era Boz Scaggs album, and I don't consider that to be a bad thing.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard wedding bands with a better grasp of R&B groove.

:lol I'm not really a Kot fan. He is equally annoying to me when he is putting down MMJ as when he salivates over everything Wilco does. Even though I agree with much of his assessment here--after weeks of sinking in, this album still feels decidedly lightweight to me--but there's something mean-spirited in Kot's take on it. Like he is personally offended or something. Dude, its just a record.

If I close my eyes and don't think MMJ I swear a coupl of the songs could easily fit on a mid-70's era Boz Scaggs album, and I don't consider that to be a bad thing.

Neither do I.

Critics get so hung up on expectations.

How would they approach a record like this one if they didn't have the band's previous output to compare it against?

Either something moves you or it doesn't. Pretty simple. It does not have to ascribe stylistically to anything that came before.

That's just boring and un-imaginative.

Kot, bad review. His pissy tone sounds like he's coming from a place of disilussionment and "how-dare-they"

Particularly in this excerpt, it sounds like he's saying: "Us critics were ready to adorn you with complements and catapult you into fame and monies if only you hadn't betrayed us by not following a formula."

But just because an album is daring doesn't make it listenable, and "Evil Urges" is a stunning miscalculation by a band poised to make its commercial breakthrough. It doesn't just take the New York-via-Louisville quintet out of its comfort zone, it erases the sound that made the band special in the first place.

"Stunning miscalculation?" What the fuck do they owe you, asshole? You've got to be kidding me.

I had the EXACT same reaction to Kot's review. You took the words right out of my head. Seems to me as though most of the negative reviews are rooted so deeply in preconceived notions that they aren't even feigning a sense of objectivity. Maybe I'm being a dick, but it seems like there are two general schools of fan when it comes to EU: those of us who realize that it's the best summer album in years, and those who are whiny fucking crybabies with a swollen sense of entitlement.

I maintain two things about this record: 1) it's easily one of the best MMJ have delivered to date, and 2) it can barely be considered a departure at all, except by listeners who frankly haven't been paying any attention to the band's actual music. (People who use stupid terms like "silo rock" and "reverb" EVERY time you talk about MMJ, I'm looking in your direction...)

Two Halves can be traced back to The Dark using nothing but a straight line. EU and Highly Suspicious both have a forebear in Cobra, etc., etc. The rockers from this record could have appeared on Z, for Christ's sake. The R&B flavoured songs - which Kot is surely borderline retarded for daring to criticise - are wonderful and have been a long time coming, at least if MMJ's choice of covers over the years have anything to say about it (Curtis Mayfield, Prince, et al).

I just don't get people sometimes. Just... Christ, pay attention to the band you've been tasked to evaluate. That's the bare minimum I expect from critics, and most of the EU naysayers haven't even been able to rise to that meagre task.

Yeah - it seems to me that EU is a natural progression from the broadening of scope which we heard on Z. I like EU - it draws on a lot of different styles and attempts some interesting things, not all of which work, but most do.

Album reviews always look WAY too deep into the music. Does the music sound good to you or not? Me personally, only about 4 or 5 of the songs sound good to me.. And they are probably my favorite MMJ tunes of all time, but the rest of the album does not sound good to me at all.. That's my review.

I don't think either of the reviews are terribly off base (I like the record, but it's not my favorite, I'll admit), but I'm truly curious to read their reviews of the Chicago Theatre shows in October.

don't give it another thought!

hearing from you before the show was fantastic! even if it hadn't been raining, looking at that setlist, i just don't see any place when i would have tried to make a phone call. :lol

re: the album: giving it a quality listen tonight, gearing up for the show friday!

So since I missed most of their set at Bonnaroo, I'm making sure I don't miss them on their way down here. Bought tickets for their show in August today.

I've been spinning EU alot lately.

Not that anyone cares what I think, but...

I've had the disc for a week now and I'm super impressed. "I'm Amazed" is the ONLY song I'd say is mediocre....I usually skip it now.

Otherwise, very solid. Not sure how I'd rank it in their list of albums, but it's up there. Definitely like it at least as much as "Z".

"Smokin From Shootin" and "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream pt.2" is a PHENOMENAL close to the album. Wow.

Seriously, Pictchfork and Kot are either high on crack, or have set WAY too lofty goals for MMJ.

Reminds me a bit of when Wilco's "A Ghost is Born" came out. I found the album to be crazy and spontaneous and all-over-the-place....but in a GOOD way. Pitchfork and many others thought it was a little un-focused and out there.

I just don't get it. To me, "Evil Urges"....much like a Ghost is Born".....has major balls.

You think he likes it?

More than I do, but hey, whatever. I still haven't discovered the magic here, but who knows? This band took me a couple years of off/on listening to warm up to in the first place. Maybe this album will suddenly open up to me sometime in 2012 or something and all will be gumdrops and rainbows. For now I'm thinking that guy is on just as much crack as Kot. But, hey, who am I to knock it when people find music they like?

Guest Jules
More than I do, but hey, whatever. I still haven't discovered the magic here, but who knows? This band took me a couple years of off/on listening to warm up to in the first place. Maybe this album will suddenly open up to me sometime in 2012 or something and all will be gumdrops and rainbows. For now I'm thinking that guy is on just as much crack as Kot. But, hey, who am I to knock it when people find music they like?

Yeah I agree. They're both a bit over the top, albeit on different sides of the equation. I'm a big fan of EU, though. I think it might be my favorite MMJ album top to bottom.

Well, that was....enthusiastic. :stunned

My next user name is going to be precision_prog.

As someone who hasn't loved an album since At Dawn, Evil Urges is my favorite since. The last two have had some amazing moments with a song here and there, but never grabbed me. I am digging it.

Even more so, I am digging the vinyl At Dawn and Tennessee Fire reissues. If you are thinking of getting them, don't sleep. They are supposedly limited to 1000 (How many of the first press were there?) and red & yellow (AD) and green & blue (TF) look awesome, but I am sucker for colored vinyl. My store never even got them... I had to purchase them from the competition! :fish

Heard my first song off of this album on the radio the other day and guess what it was: Highly Suspicious. DJ was totally into the song. Then he followed it with Dr Dog's "Hang On" from Fate :thumbup

As someone who hasn't loved an album since At Dawn, Evil Urges is my favorite since. The last two have had some amazing moments with a song here and there, but never grabbed me. I am digging it.

Even more so, I am digging the vinyl At Dawn and Tennessee Fire reissues. If you are thinking of getting them, don't sleep. They are supposedly limited to 1000 (How many of the first press were there?) and red & yellow (AD) and green & blue (TF) look awesome, but I am sucker for colored vinyl. My store never even got them... I had to purchase them from the competition! :fish

girl's gotta do, etc. :pirate

thanks for the limited run heads up, sam! i picked up TTF, will have to swing in to see if AD is still on the shelves!

Heard my first song off of this album on the radio the other day and guess what it was: Highly Suspicious. DJ was totally into the song. Then he followed it with Dr Dog's "Hang On" from Fate

Dang, what radio station do you listen to?

Dang, what radio station do you listen to?

It was on WMNF in Tampa, FL. An independent station. When Dr Dog played down here, they sponsored the show.