Obama Is Not a Muslim

The last paragraph was lifted from Obama's website. Feel free to steal this and use it to combat the crazies in your own family.

I wanted to resurrect this thread to thank you, Eric, for providing a succinct and eloquent template to respond to these stupid emails. I just sent a very similar version to every email address listed in the forward I received today. :cheers

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a story in the NY Times Sunday magazine a couple of weeks ago which discussed this e-mail. They referenced a study where older people were shown a series of statements about health-related issues, and were then told clearly whether the statements were true or false. Some of the false statements were shown multiple times, each time clearly stating that this claim was FALSE. Afterwards, they asked these people to look at some statements, and say whether they thought the statements were true or false. The statements which had been shown the most often were the most likely to be believed to be true by the participants, despite having been told repeatedly that the statements were false (this effect was less prevalent in younger test subjects).

The researchers said that what seemed to be happening was that people get a thing stuck in their head, the more often it's repeated to them, and that after a while all they can remember is that they've heard that somewhere, from more than one source, and that therefore, it's probably true.

And unfortunately, the same will likely be true for some people who have received this e-mail. Unless a strong rebuttal goes viral in the same way that the original has, there will still be some people who, despite having been shown solid evidence that it is not true, will go to the polls with the phrase "Obama is a Muslim" stuck in their heads. :hmm

• 2 weeks later...
Nice job Eric. :thumbup

Here's a just my .02: MN Rep. Kieth Ellison is a Muslim, and he did place his hand on the Koran when being sworn in. He's also a great guy....I wish he was my congressman, not the nutcase I do have.

I don't have much problem with either of my Senators, but you can have Rep. Dan Burton. Indiana needs to get rid of the nutcase.

And it wasn't just any copy of the Koran, it was Thomas Jefferson's personal copy of the Koran!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7010300075.html

I don't have much problem with either of my Senators, but you can have Rep. Dan Burton. Indiana needs to get rid of the nutcase.

And it wasn't just any copy of the Koran, it was Thomas Jefferson's personal copy of the Koran!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7010300075.html

Yeah, Burton is scum. He's not my Rep though. I have the even more sickening Mike Pence.

And Mr. Rain, that cartoon was something.

There was a story in the NY Times Sunday magazine a couple of weeks ago which discussed this e-mail. They referenced a study where older people were shown a series of statements about health-related issues, and were then told clearly whether the statements were true or false. Some of the false statements were shown multiple times, each time clearly stating that this claim was FALSE. Afterwards, they asked these people to look at some statements, and say whether they thought the statements were true or false. The statements which had been shown the most often were the most likely to be believed to be true by the participants, despite having been told repeatedly that the statements were false (this effect was less prevalent in younger test subjects).

The researchers said that what seemed to be happening was that people get a thing stuck in their head, the more often it's repeated to them, and that after a while all they can remember is that they've heard that somewhere, from more than one source, and that therefore, it's probably true.

And unfortunately, the same will likely be true for some people who have received this e-mail. Unless a strong rebuttal goes viral in the same way that the original has, there will still be some people who, despite having been shown solid evidence that it is not true, will go to the polls with the phrase "Obama is a Muslim" stuck in their heads. :hmm

how awful to know that political teams then take this right into guerrilla marketing... :no

• 1 month later...
Guest Cousin Tupelo

He sent *me* and e-mail offering me a share of his US$37,000,000 if I sent him my bank account number to his financial advisor. So I've got that going for me, which is nice ...

Dude! You don't understand! I read it online. Barack Obama stole this one guy's kidney and left him in a tub full of ice with a phone and a note that he'd better call 911 immediately.

See... call 911... 9/11... kidneys are shaped a bit like a crescent moon... coincidence? I think not.

Guest Cousin Tupelo

I fortunately haven't been subjected to one of these e-mails.

But any doubt about the hopelessness against such political lies need only look back over the past eight years.

At least Scott McClelland has come over from the dark side.

I'm sure most people here have received one of the chain emails claiming Obama is a Muslim or jihadist. I keep getting them, and they usually have been forwarded to me by the right-wing nutjobs in my own family. I'm fed up, and not just because I support Obama. Tonight I "replied to all" with the following:

The last paragraph was lifted from Obama's website. Feel free to steal this and use it to combat the crazies in your own family.

Okay, venting over.

I wish I had a redneck relative who would send me these things. I always hear about these right wing nut job emails but I never get to see them

One of the most disturbing things I've seen (I give em credit from the creativity) is a picture of obama dressed like Mr. T saying "Gimme Yo Change" and Obama O8 is written in an Arabic font. Also, along with Mr. t's gold chains, he has a necklace with the Obama logo but it's modified to look like a Muslim crescent moon.

See rightwingstuff.com for more moronic in(s)anity.

• 3 months later...
Obama is allowed to accuse the mccain camp of spreading the muslim stuff, but people can't then turn around and accuse his people of spreading the early Palin daughter rumors.

i don't know who started what, and you probably don't either, but what we're left with is: the palin rumors were stopped cold within a day or two. the obama rumors have continued for months and months, and months. i'd say one side has a much more valid grievance than the other. have some perspective.

i don't know who started what, and you probably don't either, but what we're left with is: the palin rumors were stopped cold within a day or two. the obama rumors have continued for months and months, and months. i'd say one side has a much more valid grievance than the other. have some perspective.

Well, it's probably because people legitimately worry that he might be a Muslim. That might be why they persist.

Well, it's probably because people legitimately worry that he might be a Muslim. That might be why they persist.

some (ignorant) people do worry about it, which is why his republican adversaries love to keep it going -- fearmongering is all it is.

some (ignorant) people do worry about it, which is why his republican adversaries love to keep it going -- fearmongering is all it is.

So Obama is allowed to accuse McCain's camp of doing this even though he denies it, right?